Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Talking New Owner - Old Trailer

On Father's Day I purchased a 1977 Argosy 24. I think I got an OK deal because the price was right and it is not in too bad of shape. My wife and I were looking for a pop-up and came across this trailer and decided to skip the pop-up step all together. I am glad we did. I can't believe how much room is in this thing! (You have to remember we were just converted from tent camping.) I am still trying to figure out how everything works. I was also surprized at how easily my 2002 Trailblazer handles it. It must be the tandem axles which make the difference.

I came across this forum and read some posts about restoring Argosy trailers and updating them and I am very interested in doing the same. My head is swimming with ideas on what I would like to do and I plan on utilizing this forum to help me along the way. If anyone has some friendly advice on what to do or not do or the best places to look for stuff to begin my project let me know.

Wish me luck. I will need it. Oh yea, and money too.
1Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! Sounds like you had a great Fathers Day! You made a great choice and you'll have all kinds of help here as you update your Argosy. The search feature will be a big help to you, too. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi, welcome to the forums!
There is so much info here it can get confusing, but it has saved me so much $$.
As mentioned, the search feature will get you to info that you are looking for. Also go to the main "Forums" button near the top/left. If you click there, you will find a page that lists all of the forum categorys which may give you some ideas for things to browse in.
Good luck with the Argosy, they are great trailers.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
OK,

So I thought I had an old trailer. It seems like 30 years is a blik of an eye in the life of an airstream. I am excited to get started. I have been on line in this forum so much but I have yet to scratch the surface of the info that is available here. I think my best bet is to absorb as much as possible before I finalize any refurb ideas. The best part is that my trailer is in plenty good shape to use with my family right now. I am going to take it out next weekend for a shakedown.

Thanks again,

1Michigander
Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
And now for my 600th post...Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

As a former Michigander.... Let me weigh in on what you may want to look at! The question is can you live and deal with 30 year old technology and appliances in your trailer or do you modernize some of the systems to suit your needs now and in the future? The most important thing to consider there is as your family grows will the trailer stay viable to be used as it is? It is your choice so make up your mind while you try it out on a few camping trips and then go at it a little at a time. Enjoy what you have but always look toward future demand on the trailer as the family grows. You will be making some great memories with your family and the Argy will be a great part of them. Take loads of pictures for the kids sake and by all means post some of them here! Best of luck with your decisions and get out there! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase. Keep it light and tight and with luck it will serve you well. My thought is make it fit you. If you want original, ok, but if you want custom have a blast. Just remember to keep the weight down, especially towing with the TB.
Hey, sure beats unfolding canvas and weathering wind and rain with the roof flappen

rob n terry
Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Customizing is what I had in mind.

I already pulled out the NASTY carpeting that was in my Argosy so I feel better. Now its time for a wood floor. Next I will tackle the head. According to the previous owner his stepson jumped backwards into it, breaking it from its foundation. Whatever the story is, it is definieley broken off. Oh well, little by little.