Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 33
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
NEW OWNER of One Owner 1972 Ambassador 29 foot

Hi Folks,

You may have seen some of my pictures posted. I am currently full timing in the AS that I bought in Maine from a gentleman who purchased it new in 1972. I had looked at a lot of over priced units and missed some on Ebay, so felt that a "quick" drive from Florida to Maine would be a pleasant experience. At any rate I bought it and hauled it home-orginal axles and all-over 1500 miles! I did re-wire the magnetic brakes and added a load control in the truck. I did notice that with the drapes open, I could use the rear view mirror and watch Truckers tail gate me. The rig pulled well and I was suprised that the old shocks seemed to work-no rivet popping or internal damage of note. After reading the forums and talk about hauling home used trailers, I probably was lucky, but let it bear testimony to the design of the trailers and the fact that it had not been "passed around" by several owners, that I and the rig arrived safely. I am currently trouble shooting the Armstrong AC unit that keeps popping breakers and running down the list possible culprits. Thanks for all the great postings!
__________________

__________________
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
Hi Folks,

You may have seen some of my pictures posted. I am currently full timing in the AS that I bought in Maine from a gentleman who purchased it new in 1972. I had looked at a lot of over priced units and missed some on Ebay, so felt that a "quick" drive from Florida to Maine would be a pleasant experience. At any rate I bought it and hauled it home-orginal axles and all-over 1500 miles! I did re-wire the magnetic brakes and added a load control in the truck. I did notice that with the drapes open, I could use the rear view mirror and watch Truckers tail gate me. The rig pulled well and I was suprised that the old shocks seemed to work-no rivet popping or internal damage of note. After reading the forums and talk about hauling home used trailers, I probably was lucky, but let it bear testimony to the design of the trailers and the fact that it had not been "passed around" by several owners, that I and the rig arrived safely. I am currently trouble shooting the Armstrong AC unit that keeps popping breakers and running down the list possible culprits. Thanks for all the great postings!
Are you using an extension cord for the trailer?

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Alwhisman's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 313
Images: 94
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Congrats and Welcome! Now that is a great way to celebrate your new AS!

Al
__________________
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
willyd's Avatar
 
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 757
Images: 5
Congratulations and welcome to the forum - any pictures???
__________________
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 33
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Regarding AC issues...

No extension cord-found a bad starter capacitor and a corroded GE Relay under the roof cowling that may be the problem. Voltage at the breaker box-(new 20Amp breakers) right at 120V. Printed schematic from forum post, so am trying to understand the relatively complex Armstrong AC unit-very rugged looking, but a lot of wires, old school parts and future failure potentials. I would like to keep it going, BUT also need to look at a replacement that would conform with the general lines of the Ambassador
__________________
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
Regarding AC issues...

No extension cord-found a bad starter capacitor and a corroded GE Relay under the roof cowling that may be the problem. Voltage at the breaker box-(new 20Amp breakers) right at 120V. Printed schematic from forum post, so am trying to understand the relatively complex Armstrong AC unit-very rugged looking, but a lot of wires, old school parts and future failure potentials. I would like to keep it going, BUT also need to look at a replacement that would conform with the general lines of the Ambassador
Those parts are available at W. W. Grainger.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 33
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
PIcking up new relay and starter capacitor today-if it works-GREAT-if not I am going to look at one of the low profile AC units 7.5" Carrier? to refit the Armstrong. I will keep the Armstrong as intact as possible. Cowling cover is perfect and inside air duct cover as well. I was concerned with over flow of condensation in our Florida humidity and the water leaking over the side. Also, somewhere I read that the old Armstrong roof plate could be "folded" to support the new unit without seperate bracing. It certainly appears stout and I cannot imagine the weight of the older unit.
__________________
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
mwells4654's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 426
Congratulations and welcome to the forum - would love to see pics
__________________
Mel

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
I was concerned with over flow of condensation in our Florida humidity and the water leaking over the side.
The Armstrong is equipped with a drain pan that connects to a drain line that runs inside the skin and come out just before the passenger side wheel well. It you go with the Carrier as a replacement it does not have a drain pan but can be set up to drain condensation through the existing drain line in the A/S. Also I read in a recent thread that Carrier is discontinuing their RV AC production in December of 2010. Their AC units are still available but supplies will go down over time. Maybe others have more details on this.

Don
__________________
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
danalee's Avatar
 
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 519
Images: 30
Congratulations-would love to see pictures.
__________________
Dannie
The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 33
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Well, just as I was about to call it quits, I got the old Armstrong to work!. I had to add a new Universal Supco relay and a Dayton Starter capacitor and rewire from my breaker box to the unit's inside power supply hook-up. Apparently internal rubbing fried the relay & capacitor-I expected low voltage-but the ends were so corroded that that almost were non existent. I guess I will keep the $700 bucks in my wallet for the time being and maybe replace the main Compressor Starter Capacitor-a much bigger unit to ensure easy starting of the compressor. The Unit is OLD! But is humming along as I type-accidently kicked on the Furnance due to the temp drop! I guess all you fans of these AC's may be right-They don't make 'em like that anymore.
__________________
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
Well, just as I was about to call it quits, I got the old Armstrong to work!. I had to add a new Universal Supco relay and a Dayton Starter capacitor and rewire from my breaker box to the unit's inside power supply hook-up. Apparently internal rubbing fried the relay & capacitor-I expected low voltage-but the ends were so corroded that that almost were non existent. I guess I will keep the $700 bucks in my wallet for the time being and maybe replace the main Compressor Starter Capacitor-a much bigger unit to ensure easy starting of the compressor. The Unit is OLD! But is humming along as I type-accidently kicked on the Furnance due to the temp drop! I guess all you fans of these AC's may be right-They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Those old AC's are like us.

A little patch here and there, some TLC, a part or two, and then they keep on going and going.

The only problem for you might be the cooling is rated at 12,000 BTU.

The unit may also need some Freon at this point.

On a warm day, turn the AC on, and let it run for 15 minutes or so.

Check the exhaust air temperature as it comes out of the ceiling shroud.

You should have a reading of about 18 to 20 degrees cooler than the inside temperature of the trailer. If you do, then the freon charge is OK. If it's less than that, then some freon would need to be added to maximize the cooling BTU.

Welcome to the Forums.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1972 ambassador 29


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Owner - 28 foot safari oldclown Member Introductions 12 04-01-2009 09:49 AM
1972 27' Overlander owner sezzzle Member Introductions 4 04-05-2008 09:15 PM
New Owner of 1972 27' Overlander Kendrick Member Introductions 5 03-31-2007 07:40 PM
New 1972 Airstream excella 500 Owner GoNomad Member Introductions 20 08-01-2006 07:33 AM
Help for new owner - 1972 Argosy 20 overlander63 All Argosy Trailers 7 07-02-2003 09:12 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.