Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
New Owner of a 2003 25' Classic!

Just got back from our maiden voyage in our "like new" '03 25' Classic. We had a blast camping on the Gulf of Mexico. This is our first trailer of any kind so we are learning a lot.

Everything is working well with the Airstream except the stereo -- the speakers are not outputting audio! If anyone has any idea why this is happening, I'd love to hear 'em.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Welcome!

Sean M -

I'd like to be the 1st to extend you a big Welcome!!! to ASF, the the AirStream life, and to the best thing going! You'll have a blast with that 'new' to you unit!!! Enjoy each and every day, each and every memory, and each and every place that you wake up in it, "Name" yet??? - It'll provide memories like nothing else in your life, ever!!!

As to the question about the audio, I'm afraid that I can't help as I have a '92... so that audio system is not something I am familiar with. Help is likely coming..... stay tuned.

Welcome again!

Axel
SilvetToy

Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
Just got back from our maiden voyage in our "like new" '03 25' Classic. We had a blast camping on the Gulf of Mexico. This is our first trailer of any kind so we are learning a lot.

Everything is working well with the Airstream except the stereo -- the speakers are not outputting audio! If anyone has any idea why this is happening, I'd love to hear 'em.
Sean,
If everything works well except the audio you are way ahead...Welcome to the Forum. I am sure someone will help you on this one. Have fun with your new unit.
John
Old 03-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Sean,

Does your unit have a switch inside the cabinets that says In-Out-Both...this comes with units that have the audio/video upgrade...if so, make sure it is turned to In...this will turn on your interior speakers...out is for the external speakers and both...well you get the idea.

Just trying to get you a quick fix.

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, and congratulations on your new baby.

We have an '05 with the factory installed stereo. Ours has a three way switch inside the upper cabinet with the disc changer. It has three positions: in, out, and both. If it is in the "out" position and there are no outside speakers connected, you get nothing on the inside speakers.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
First of all, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I guess I should've expected no less from fellow Airstream enthusiasts.

Yes, everything except the speakers appears to be in top notch working order. The previous owner supposedly used the Airstream "one time" (note that they didn't specify the DURATION of that time ), but in any event -- the thing seems just like new. We are very excited to have her...and hope to take a long trip west this summer.

I think we will name her "TIN CAN" heh heh -- if we can get the tag from our DMV.

With regard to the speakers, GREAT tip! I will check out the cabinets and let you know how it goes. I don't recall seeing that "IN/OUT" switch, but certainly might have overlooked it.

Here are a couple of photos from our first trip:

Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Does the reciever have a mute switch?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
No mute switch (or at least, the mute is not activated). The stereo powers on just fine...it lights up and appears to find radio stations. But there's nothing but dead silence coming from the speakers.

Alas, there's no "IN/OUT/BOTH" switch in the cabinets, either.

This weekend we may pull the stereo and try a different (non-factory) unit in its place. I'm not sure what else to do.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations! Nice pictures and looks like you know exactly where to take the "tin can". Nice spot to camp.

Is your radio a Sony? There are diagrams online of the rear of the unit. Our 2005 had jacks in the back. Once you get it out of the cabinet or at it perhaps you can plug in other speakers or earphones to test it before you replace it.

I think Pahaska (do a member search) did work on his radio connections. I bet he would have some ideas for you. Private message him, he is a great workman with modifications and all manner of fixes and improvements that he has documented here on the forum of his Airstreams.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Yep, our radio is a Sony. It came with the removeable faceplate and a remote control. We tried "resetting" the stereo (removing the faceplate and hitting a button) but it didn't work. Thanks for the tip; I will do a search for Pahaska.

BTW, that campground is "Camping on the Gulf" in Destin, Florida. The spots right on the beach are a little expensive, but they are also tough to beat! It was a nice indulgence for the maiden voyage.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Nice unit! As you can tell from my sig. - I'm partial...

I don't have a switch for In/Out/Both in mine - check for a mute switch (on the remote) or an unplugged speaker harness at the rear of the radio.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks romap! I'm sure our Airstreams are close cousins. For us the 25-footer just seemed the right size.

Interesting that yours also lacks the IN/OUT/BOTH switch. We've checked the remote, so all that's left is to pull the unit.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
When you do get the radio out, there are two plugs on the harness, one for power in and out, radio memory, etc, and the other is for the speakers. The one for the speakers may have worked loose, try unplugging that plug, and plugging it back in.
Also, since you bought the coach used, it is possible someone borrowed, or "liberated" the speakers...
Old 03-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Nice

Nice Airstream and where you went is just down the road for a few of us here in the panhandle such as myself.
Welcome to the forums and maybe some of us will get to meet you if you can make it to next years Can Opener rally in January at topsail.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote