Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
New owner in NW Vermont

My wife and I took the plunge. We purchased a 2004 Safari SS in Kentucky. We used an inspector found on this forum and after many photos and conversations with the seller, it seemed to check out. Our dilemma is when to pick it up. I could run down after Thanksgiving and tow it home through possible snow and salty roads where it will sit here winterized, or wait and plan a trip after the New Year (Feb. or March) and head south for a couple of weeks. It is stored in KY and I will only have to pay $30.00/month to keep it in storage.
Also, we own a Lake Champlain summer business and will only use the AS from November-April somewhere south of us. We plan to check out areas where we may want to snowbird to. I am thinking of going to Louisiana as a 1st try. Maybe not crowded like Florida and still a lot warmer than the Canadian border. Too many decisions!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
My wife and I took the plunge. We purchased a 2004 Safari SS in Kentucky. We used an inspector found on this forum and after many photos and conversations with the seller, it seemed to check out. Our dilemma is when to pick it up. I could run down after Thanksgiving and tow it home through possible snow and salty roads where it will sit here winterized, or wait and plan a trip after the New Year (Feb. or March) and head south for a couple of weeks. It is stored in KY and I will only have to pay $30.00/month to keep it in storage.
Also, we own a Lake Champlain summer business and will only use the AS from November-April somewhere south of us. We plan to check out areas where we may want to snowbird to. I am thinking of going to Louisiana as a 1st try. Maybe not crowded like Florida and still a lot warmer than the Canadian border. Too many decisions!
Howdy neighbor!
I would go pick it up now & make sure you got what you think you got. Your trailer is 10 years old now, so I wouldn't leave on a trip "site unseen" with your own eyes. Just wash down the outside really well once you get home. We've driven to Florida a bunch of times in the winter & I cringe every time I look at the trailer crud stuck all over it when I arrive in Fl, so we take a bucket, soap etc with us & after an hour or so she looks great again.
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Howdy neighbor! I would go pick it up now & make sure you got what you think you got. Your trailer is 10 years old now, so I wouldn't leave on a trip "site unseen" with your own eyes. Just wash down the outside really well once you get home. We've driven to Florida a bunch of times in the winter & I cringe every time I look at the trailer crud stuck all over it when I arrive in Fl, so we take a bucket, soap etc with us & after an hour or so she looks great again. Colin
Good point. The dealer where it is stored will get us set up and my sister lives about 4 hours away in NC and we can camp somewhere on her 30 acres to test it out.