Old 12-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
1975 Argosy 24
Charlotte , Michigan
New owner in Michigan

Hello to all,
Unknowing I've become a member of the Airstream family by purchasing my 75 Argosy '24 in July '15. A pleasant surprise indeed and thank you for the add to this group.
I found the trailer in Ohio and needed to title and plate it in my name in the state of Michigan. Our Secretary of State (DMV) took the information on the Ohio title and transferred it to my new Michigan title. Several weeks later, after receiving my "Argosy" title, the SOS asked for the title to be returned to them as the manufacturer was listed in error and the vehicle needed to be titled as an "Airstream." I now hold the title of an Airstream.
I've been camping in travel trailers all of my life starting with my grandparents. I learned a lot about trailering from my grandfather from a very young age and my own experience has given me the knowledge to knowing what makes them tick on the inside.
I've replaced the hot water heater with one that holds water, the 2 way refrigerator with one that stays cold and even found a close match to the avocado shag carpet that the previous owner replaced with berber. I'm a purist as described by members of the other vintage pop-up group I belong to and have been called a traitor (LOL), but understand sometimes things have to change. I also embrace those wanting to make their camper "their own."
I couldn't be happier with the Argosy and look forward to many years of camping with it. Again, thank you for the add to this group. The information here is (and will be) beyond valuable to me!!

Now older and wider...
Scott in Charlotte, Michigan

ScottVincen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 26
Escanaba , Michigan
Welcome, Scott. I'm new here as well and also have an Argosy (1977 26'). I'm planning on replacing my water heater as well. What was the make/model of the heater you bought? Any tips to make the job easier or pitfalls to avoid?

UP_Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
1975 Argosy 24
Charlotte , Michigan
Water heater info

Hi Jerry,

I replaced my old leaking 6 gal gas water heater with the (almost exact one). The replacement is an Atwood G6A-7 Gas pilot water heater. I wanted electronic ignition on this one. It fit the opening perfectly as well as into the cabinet inside. I reused the outer door from the old water heater. The new one doesn't come with one. The guts to the heater are set up identical to the one I replaced. I was even able to take the pet cock off the old one, clean it up and reuse it. Gas line also lined up pretty well. I had to open the hole in the lower case of the heater a little to get the propane line in but all in all I had it in in about an hour. Fortunately, the previous owner had installed shark bites to the connections on the inside so I was able to just snap them off and install it. Water lines lined up perfectly as well. The only difference is there is not a metal case covering the tank on the inside like the old one had...just styrofoam strapped to the tank. I bought it off Amazon for about 275.00 with free shipping. It got to me in 3 days!!

Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Welcome to Alumaholics Anonymous! Argosy trailers and RVs are our kinfolk. Near you in Charlotte is an Airstream couple, past president of the WBCCI Michigan Unit. Great people, who can assist with questions you have, and can point you to those who know even more. Try to find great friends you haven't met yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We camped there last fall ,nice area, have fun...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
1975 Argosy 24
Charlotte , Michigan
Thanks, Tom.
We did wander through the Charlotte fairgrounds last year where they were holding an AS rally. The following morning we crossed paths with the group at the local restaurant for breakfast. Little did I know at that time I would be kinfolk within a year.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Welcome to the forums!
Another Michigander is always nice to see.

Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote