Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Jon,
What Cliff said. Plus, check out some of the tire debate threads (there are several): but don't let the tire failure stories freak you out.
My advice is NOT to run 'radial tires' on your trailer. What I have gleaned from this forum & my experience is that 'radials' tend to shred and come apart in a failure while 'conventional' trailer tires do not: they just go flat.
'Just my opinion, but maybe worth considering.

WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"before you answer remember asteroids"

or even worse, our sun running out of hydrogen gas and expanding, and earth's heat death, which is innevitable :O

Whew, glad you are safe!! Im off to check torque on all wheels before my trip on thursday!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Got that sun thing covered!! Have beagle (serious gas producers) it is thanksgiving and turkey is his fav! Lol enjoy my friend!
Cliff
Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Got that sun thing covered!! Have beagle (serious gas producers) it is thanksgiving and turkey is his fav! Lol enjoy my friend!
Cliff

oh my, forgot about that...your beagle plus my boston terrier and we will cover our thermonuclear fusion needs for a much longer time

Enjoy that turkey! take care...watch out for ol' murphy!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamike View Post
Except for the three areas in the photos, the floor is in pretty good shape. My plan in to replace those areas with 3/4 exterior plywood. I will grind out a scarf joint so the patches will have 2-3" of overlap with the existing floor. I will be using a lot of fiberglass roving and West 105/205 epoxy to hopefully keep it from happening again.

edit: the big patch where the toilet was was patched by the PO with MDF and was pretty bad. I expanded the area to be replaced so that the 2 inner edges will sit on the (rusted but solid) frame rails. I will probably remove some of the belly pan to run some screws up through the flooring into the shell rim.

The black water tank is badly broken and I can't find a replacement at the moment. I'm just flooring it over for now & will run with a porta pot until I can find a solution.
Hi Mike,
Interesting recovery story You might want to look into some threads on floor replacement, because you need to remove the the interior lower wall sections in the area where you're installing the repair floor section. This is necessary in order to "bolt" the perimeter aluminum "C" channel through the floor section & into the steel below. This is a critical part of the structure & should not be overlooked by just screwing from below. You'd be asking for trouble down the road.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Mike- Welcome and glad all is OK.. Important moral of story is that over-tightening lug nuts can stretch and then break studs off, leaving either tow vehicle or trailer balancing on less than required number of rubber things.. Allegedly newer lug studs are perhaps less "over-designed" and might be more sensitive to a few hundred extra foot-pounds of torque, though none are really to be expected to withstand repeated over-torqueing.. Using trailer brakes was good technique for newbie.. Good luck with renovation as well. Using "Search" tab above, there are a lot of threads by topic in restoration stories, so you'll have lots to read when it is too cold to work on trailer.. My only advice is to throw very little away, as old parts make good templates even if you don't use them, and some were pretty cleverly designed by Airstream for specific purpose and locations... PEX seems to be the way to do plumbing, and lighter cabinetry is better, when practical...

and Jon-
There are also threads describing tire failures at speed in both single axle and double axle trailers... Doubles are better, since trailer will remain on road and under control if only 1 tire fails, though depending on location and failure mode departing tread or parts may damage aluminum or wheel wells. Most single axles have skid or metal under rear bumper that will allow trailer to slide on one wheel and come to a stop. Search for "tire failure" or "single axle safety" and you should find some of them.. And unless failure is very slow loss of pressure, you will definitely hear and feel change in event trailer loses tire on single or double axle...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote