Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Dorchester , Massachusetts
Ok,
I'm hard headed.
I'm starting to belive that it's not so smart to try and keep all water systems runnining the winter unless you have extra batteries,a solar panel system, or a generator, maybe an aircompressor on hand and the ability to do a quick winterization in the middle of the night when you run out of fuel.
Too much hastle for a long weekend.
What I have been doing before A/Sing is keeping a 5 gal. cylinder type Igloo Cooler full of hot tap water along with a large dipping cup in my truck.
By the time my 2 hour surf session is over I have enough warm water for 3 people to get the salt off. Now I just need to figure out where to get hot water every day.
How about one of those big outdoor propane lobsterpot stoves?
Wow! think I figured it our while writing!
Bottled water to drink and going to the bathroom in a toilet full of antifreeze.
Is that dry camping?
galfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galfoman
Ok,
I'm hard headed.
I'm starting to belive that it's not so smart to try and keep all water systems runnining the winter unless you have extra batteries,a solar panel system, or a generator, maybe an aircompressor on hand and the ability to do a quick winterization in the middle of the night when you run out of fuel.
Too much hastle for a long weekend.
What I have been doing before A/Sing is keeping a 5 gal. cylinder type Igloo Cooler full of hot tap water along with a large dipping cup in my truck.
By the time my 2 hour surf session is over I have enough warm water for 3 people to get the salt off. Now I just need to figure out where to get hot water every day.
How about one of those big outdoor propane lobsterpot stoves?
Wow! think I figured it our while writing!
Bottled water to drink and going to the bathroom in a toilet full of antifreeze.
Is that dry camping?

I'd be worried about the water heater -- we lost one which had been drained in our second winter.

Others know a lot more about this than I do -- but I would winterize and not use plumbing at all...
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Hi Gary,
Congratulations on your new trailer. Sounds like you really want to have full systems going on your winter surfing outings, which sounds great except that when you have to dump gray and back water there will not be dump stations available in the winter. I like the idea of heating your water on the stove or outside on a burner to rinse off, then use the trailer as a dressing room/warming shack. All be it a very fancy one. You can extend your day surfing, have breakfast, lunch and dinner and even use the gray water tank in the trailer and dump it at home when you return. I use a five gallon dry wall bucket and dump it in the toilet. I suppose you could do this with the black water but don't trip walking through the house! And as you said you can use the heated water to raise the salt water off outside too.
Now you are all clean and dry in your new Airstream and it's time to sit back with your favorite (warm) cocktail while watching the sunset. The fantasy is all coming together...opps, I forgot you have to drive back and the roads are icey, there may be salt the will have to be washed off the trailer, and you still need to empty the tanks when you get home. Sorry about the reality part.
Good Luck
Gary from Maine
1962 Safari
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Nothing more heart-warming than a dedicated surfer trying to make it work. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck with your endeavors! And if you're ever out this way we have Mavericks and Ghost Trees, and, well, you probably know the rest. Many surf treats, and many great parks for tucking in the perfect warming retreat of an Airstream...Santa Cruz is not a bad destination for those who seek the perfect wave.
All the best,
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by galfoman
I know nothing about my Bambi but my instinct tells me that I can wrap mywater lines with electric tape and throw some rock salt in the toilet and be good to go this winter.
Gee, for years I thought rock salt was used for making home made ice cream and keeping thieves out of the watermelon patch!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Janet,
We were in in your area last year and in SoCal this past October.
You are so lucky. I love The Hook in Santa Cruz. Marvericks....in my dreams.
I'd love to A/S it next time.
We surfed many different breaks for 12 days and remember when we were done the locals in their VW Buses and campers stayed late, made bonfires and watched the sun set.
We were usually wet, hungry and tired so always went back to the hotel every night to get comfortable.
Next time I will be the one of those kickin back to the sun set with a cold beer under my A/S canopy.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #27
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Welcome Gary. Best wishes with your AS and surfing.

Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Yipeee, It's here, It's here!
I just picketd up my Bambi on Friday. It trailered so easy like it was not even there but Boy backing it in was a task. Took me 6 trys while stopping traffic on my street.
It turns out it's a 2002 Bambi LS not a 2001. So far while in my driveway I have had breakfast, lunch and dinner in it and spent 2 nights with friends and my dog just out playing music.
I love it. I used the heatpump and it warmed up quickley because it has been in the 40's here lately. Can anyone please explain how to set up the propane furnace so it will kick on when it gets colder. I did not get an operators manual for that one item..
Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Hello.
Please disregard my last question.
I answered it myself by just switching it on.
Duhhh
Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Gary, while you're traveling around, most Wal-Mart stores will let you park overnight in the outer parking lot, as will a lot of malls. Just check with the management out of curtesy. The Army corp of engineers has a lot of camping sites all over the place and most are free yet not really advertised. There's books out that list them. There's alot of good camping fro free or at least for cheap.

Shadowwolf
dllawnservices@yahoo.com
shadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome!

Meet the New England unit - they are a young at heart, fun group - and will be delighted to show you a lot of practical things about safe and fun use of your Airstream.

JohnHD did a great thread on winterizing, complete with pictures. Saved me a bundle and a 150 mile trip to the Airstream dealership.

It took me a really long time to learn to back up, then finally I got it. The biggest thing is "LESS is more". I kept trying to muscle the trailer around, and it turns out you need little teensy girlie turns on your steering wheel. Find a vacant parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Key is put your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and move them in the direction that you want your trailer's rear end to go. 1/4 turn or less. As your trailer starts to turn let the wheel go and straighten out so that your tow vehicle starts to follow your Airstream.

With a Bambi you should be able to fit across a row of two parking spaces. Get your hitch over the dividing line between the two spaces and nothing should be hanging out on either end. I always buy something from Walmart or any other place I boondock: bottled water, paper towels, food, etc. Good parking lot boondocking manners:
  • don't put out your awning, chairs, barbecue grill, etc.
  • Check for signs that forbid overnight parking and move on if you see them.
  • Keep your step up if it will overhang a walkway or another parking space.
  • If you pick a big parking lot, and stay as far away from the store as possible very little likelihood that anyone will mind you boondocking.
  • Leave early in the morning so you don't impede customers or deliveries to the store.
Cracker Barrels often have spaces for RV's - I'm not wild about their food, but it works.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Hey Paula,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I hope to be touring soon.
I'm in the process of having my cushions reuphosltered, changing out the bath sink and faucet with stainless one, and ripping out the carpet and swapping for VCT.
When I'm done I'll send some pics.
Gary