Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marion , Kentucky
New Owner

I have always wanted to own an Airstream like my Grandparents had when I was growing up. I have the opportunty to purchase an 1974 31' airstream for $2000.00. It needs frig and plumbing work. The owner has had it for 15 years and has rented it out for the last five. needless to say renters did not take good care of it and stole the frig. It needs a good cleaning and most of the original stuff is inside. He does not know if the heat or hot water works but had the air on when I looked at it and it was freezing in there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated I am excited and amprehensive.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Welcome Atraveler!

Sounds like you might have a project there? Maybe there is someone here local to you that might be able to check it out before you take the plunge. The purchase price might end up being the cheap part depending on what else might be going on. Either way its nice to have you here. Take some pictures atleast and post em here so we can see what she looks like.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
If it has a center bath and you decide to pass on it, please let me know!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Atraveller! You've come to the right spot for questions and advice on buying yourself a nice TT (travel trailer).

If you want to really get an idea of what condition that '74 is, go to Janet's checklist and print it all out. Go back to the trailer and go through it line by line with the seller there helping you with the answers.

Then come back here, also with a ton of photos, and we can better help you to sort out what kind of a deal you are looking at.

Some trailers from that era could still be in pretty good shape, but there are also lots of nightmares out there, too.

If the frame is solid and there are no holes in the floors, there's a good chance you can get it back on the road again without spending too much. I am assuming here that the last five year's worth of rentals was just stationary, not travelling.

You can count on needing a new fridge (refers we call 'em ) a new water heater, and very likely a new furnace. Maybe not all right away, but if the originals are in there, they are at the end of their useful service life. Count on about $3,000 for that, including a new refer, furnace, and water heater.

So as you can see, the initial investment is really only the beginning, unless you are dealing with a TT that has really been looked after all those years. By the sound of your description of its life, that doesn't appear to be the case, so that's why it's important to detail ALL that needs done BEFORE you spend that first dollar.

There you go, the first job is some investigation work. We're looking forward to hear how you make out!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marion , Kentucky
How do I download pics?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you mean how do you post pictures, have a look at another of Janet's threads on "how to" all the exciting features on here. It's right here.

Post number 7 is specific to posting photos on Airforums.com.

To save a photo you see on the site, with most operating systems, you just right-click on it and choose save.

Have fun!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraveler View Post
How do I download pics?
Press that button on the bottom left(post reply).Then press attachment icon(looks like a paper clip).GO crazy.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marion , Kentucky
I down loaded some pics
Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraveler View Post
I down loaded some pics
Hey, glad to hear you got it to work, Atraveler!

Just to clear sumpin up: what you did is called "uploading". From you to the internet is up, the internet to you is down.

Looking forward to seeing more of the trailer as you work on it. How does the inside look?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Greetings, and welcome to the Forums!

The street side of the trailer looks pretty good on the exterior (except for what looks like a patch of the wrong kind of sheet), but I'd bet a mortgage payment that the trailer needs new axles. That's common with a trailer of that age, and they're readily available but it'll add to the SWAG estimate Aage provided earlier. Also, this trailer has the "vista view" upper windows that have bad leaking tendencies, so pay careful attention to their condition.

If the curb side exterior looks as good as the street side picture you posted, and the frame and floors are solid, it looks like a very good project. Price is a very personal thing. You may be able to get the seller to come down some by presenting the list of what it needs and the prices, but I've met sellers who were convinced that their needy trailer is the most desirable thing ever and aren't realistic about price. From the starting price, though, I think your seller realizes it's no showpiece.

If we haven't scared you too much for you to proceed, best of luck in your negotiation!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Dear Miss'A',I'm curious as to what you will use to tow your '74?-or will you just park and live in it? Let's see some more pics!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marion , Kentucky
practice run

The owner told me to come and get it on Saturday take it home and check it out. My millions of questions must have got on his nerves. lol
He said that way he could mow under it and I could make my decision of whether or not to buy it. So I am having a check out the airstream cook out and all my fix it helpers are invited to help me check it out. lol
I will have a plumber, machanic, maintenance and cook so should get a really good going over. If you have suggestions they will be much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marion , Kentucky
1988 suburban that has rebuilt motor and new transmission. It is like a tank and we hauled our other trailer with it so all is good
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marion , Kentucky
never said I was puter savvy lol