Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Boulder , Colorado
New Owner--38 year old AS--Looking for some guidance

First off--thanks for keeping this forum so active. I've begun to learn that I don't know squat about this beautiful beast (1973 25' Tradewind) that is sitting in my driveway. Wondering how I should begin to start....I am in the Boulder Colorado area and know of an AS restoration shop not too far away. Was hoping to do most of the work myself though. I think the running gear is in good shape--the axles are new and the wheels were inspected prior to purchase. I know their is at least some external leaking going on (suspect the roof vents) and the plumbing system is a total mystery to me. Any suggestions on how I should begin to figure out how to use this thing? A little nervous and a lot excited. Just don't want to damage her in the process.

If anyone in the Denver area knows about vintage AS and would want to work out a trade/deal for a transfer of knowledge, please let me know!

Thanks and have fun!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly1973
First off--thanks for keeping this forum so active. I've begun to learn that I don't know squat about this beautiful beast (1973 25' Tradewind) that is sitting in my driveway. Wondering how I should begin to start....I am in the Boulder Colorado area and know of an AS restoration shop not too far away. Was hoping to do most of the work myself though. I think the running gear is in good shape--the axles are new and the wheels were inspected prior to purchase. I know their is at least some external leaking going on (suspect the roof vents) and the plumbing system is a total mystery to me. Any suggestions on how I should begin to figure out how to use this thing? A little nervous and a lot excited. Just don't want to damage her in the process.

If anyone in the Denver area knows about vintage AS and would want to work out a trade/deal for a transfer of knowledge, please let me know!

Thanks and have fun!
Molly,

Not sure how to use this forum too well, but wanted to let you know about the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club (RMVAC). We joined this group (we're in Denver), when we got our AS and they get together fairly frequently. Each year there is a maintenance rally which has been massively helpful, and there are several folks there who can help with most questions. Also, Luke's Maintenance is in Ft. Collins, he's been a great help for us and our 1970 Caravanner.

Hope you get that beauty out of the driveway soon and congrats!

VelRey

Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome!

When I first got my trailer I did a LOT of head scratching. The previous owner left the owner's manual for me and I was able to order the service manual from Airstream. I had plans to clean it up, make the needed repairs, take care of the deferred maintenance, and go on a trip.

As I got into the repairs and maintenance, more of the interior was removed. I could see that the original floorplan design of hiding all of the walls made it hard to clean and very hard to detect leaks. My wife gave me her opinion on the vinyl covered plywood interior walls, the cabinets, the counter tops, the sofas, the beds, the appliances, the drapes, and the floor. She thought it should all go.

I agreed, and it all went.

I'm in year two. The first year I did all the repairs, maintenance, and replaced all the components except the converter, which was new when I bought it, and the water pump, that works and is super easy to replace later. This year, I'm replacing the interior I ripped out last year. My goal was to have it ready to take a trip and be able to use all the systems by September 1, 2011. I'm two weeks late. I have one flexible water hose that ties the pump into the system to install and I'm done with this season's scheduled work. If the weather stays nice and my business cooperates, I'll get more done.

My list is getting pretty short. I have one cabinet door and one access panel to make for the bathroom vanity area. I need to make the bathroom privacy door. I have the bed pedestal yet to make, plus . . . two side tables, and one wall cabinet over the large bedside table.

I have to test the new plumbing with water. It passed with air. I'll wait until nest season to install blinds/curtains, the new jack knife sofa, the recliner, and the bed mattress.

Next summer I'll strip the clear coat, buff the body, install new awning fabric, and install the front window rock guard.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly1973 View Post

Thanks and have fun!
First thing, "always", is to make the coach "water proof".

Check out the window, and entrance door gaskets. If they are the originals, you will find them hardened and cracked, which allows water to enter.

Most important gaskets are the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that only last2 to 3 years. They must be good. If not, when it rains, if the trailer is outside, water will run down the black pipe that you cannot see, then into the walls and then on the wooden floor, that typically you won't see. But, that's what cause rotten holes in the floor.

Gaskets are easily replaced.

Make sure you have the correct gaskets. Hardware stores, and the like, do not sell Airstream gaskets.

Andy
Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Find a service manual and an owners manual is ok too. A service manual will have exploded views of everything in your trailer, plumbing, electrical, appliances, etc.
Takes a lot of the mystery out of it.

And listen to what Andy says. He has been around.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The best thing you can do is go to the Airstream website and order a Service Manual for your year:

https://store.airstream.com/product_...products_id=96

And an Owners Manual for your year:

https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=384

The latter will very quickly explain the trailer and all it's workings, while the Service Manual tells you all the details of how it all goes together.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I don't necessarily think that the "best" thing is to buy a service manual at the Airstream site.

They have the manuals on Ebay as well. Search for Airstream Manual.
I got one there on a CD. It is a pdf file. That works for me.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for all of the great considerations....

I have identified that the sewer vent gaskets appear cracked--based on the location of the damp spots, I bet these are at least in-part responsible. These are at the top of my maintenance list.

The windows/doors appear to be well maintained, but I should probably give them a closer look.

I would love to do a large-scale restoration on this trailer, but have neither the time nor money to embark on that voyage yet (we have two young children). The current plan is to get the unit as "water proof" as possible and use it as-is (a dramatic upgrade from the tent camping we have been doing) for a few years. We will probably consider doing more major work on the trailer when the kids are older and we have more time.

Thanks again for the great help!

Tags
boulder, colorado, tradewind