Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eureka , California
New Owner

This is my first time posting a thread; so please bear with me. I live in the northern part of California among the redwoods on the Pacific Ocean in the City of Eureka. I am a new (first time) owner of a 1968 Overlander that is in need of restoring. I have some experience in restoring classic cars (and a 54 Chevy pickup) and I own and have restored a 1969 Kayot houseboat (which is a trailer on pontoons). I've been reading this forum for about two months now, and have found it contains a wealth of information which I've been using in familiarizing myself with my new project. Yup, the rear flooring in the bathroom has rot, which I'm in the process of replacing, the 12v electrical doesn't seem to work the way it should, and the axles need replacing. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I've been able to identify so far. So, I guess I've got my work cut out for me. My first question is there are four circuits in the main panel in the galley which I assume is for the 12v system. Can anyone tell me which circuit does what? I've disconnected each circuit one at a time to see which lights or fans stop working, but the kitchen and bathroom lights keep burning even when the hot leads (black wire) are disconnected from each of the breakers. I've checked the fuses and they all seem in good condition. I'm stumped. Thanks for your help.
Bobz Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hi there (I just Private Message'd you)- welcome!

Have you found a fuse block in the rear compartment area near the battery? Mine had fuses on the wall near the battery. I replaced the old style fuse bus for a fuse box from VTS: Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

I accidentally left the new fridge on (without connecting to 110), which blew a fuse in the new box and no lights would work in the trailer until I replaced the fuse.

I also bought a new converter and cord from VTS- they are awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 volt panel.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	42286  

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome! I spent a couple of weeks in your beautiful town in 1997 while cycling down highway 101 from Vancouver to L.A. I can't wait to get back for another visit (especially for some Lost Coast brew)!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Welcome! I spent a couple of weeks in your beautiful town in 1997 while cycling down highway 101 from Vancouver to L.A. I can't wait to get back for another visit (especially for some Lost Coast brew)!
Welcome to the Forums.
Forum members Don (NorCal Bambi) and Claudia (CaddyGrn) live in Yreka - fairly near you, (if I recall correctly without looking at a map.) They don't have the same AS you do, but they've got alot of experience in AS restoration. They're great folks to know too. You can read his thread by clicking his name and selecting "find all threads started by..."
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Bobz, even though you've got work ahead of you, at least you know you've got plenty of help and support here. Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eureka , California
Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to this project. I'm currently tearing out the interior so I can access the floor rot and take care of that problem first. I'll also be looking at the black water holding tank pan and brackets along with any frame problems that might be present. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I was inspired by reading Sequoiacoast's thread of her experience. Her Tradewind is truely a show stopper.
Bobz Hog is offline   Reply With Quote