Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Oak Cliff , Texas
New Owner 1971 Trade Winds in TX

I just bought a 1971 Trade Wind, which is I believe 25'. Rear bath, 2 twin beds (gaucho), I wish It was a full. It's in fairly good shape for it's age and so far the plumbing and AC work well. Tires have good trad and it puled very nicely, although I need to get the trailer brake hookup on my truck ASAP. I have not tried any propane items but the PO took it to a RV dealer a year ago to have it checked out, they said everything worked with the exception of the fridge. They did some wiring and plumbing repairs.I filled the LP tanks and straightened their collars. There were no keys for this AS so I pulled the tumbler from the door and got keys made. The access panels on the exterior are locked and take a round key like a coke machine. I may try to pick these locks so I can take them to a locksmith. It has heavy damage to the lower front corner panels, like the cut corners too tight in a parking lot. There are various other dents.
I need a manual.
Here is a picture. It looks pretty cool with my Dodge Ram.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! You'll find lots of info here to help you as you get to know your new Airstream.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Cool old girl! More pictures please!
Bob
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Oak Cliff , Texas
More pics as requested. The snowy ones are from the OP's craigslist ad and show the front damage. For the smaller punctures I used some aluminum tape for a temporary fix.The interior pics are also from the ad. I need to rivet the screen door on, and we have done some cleaning since those were shot.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Oak Cliff , Texas

Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Plympton , Massachusetts
Wow the interior seems to be in really good shape! I have a 76 that came with all the original cabinetry, furniture and fixtures (but had new hw heater, converter, etc) and it didn't look nearly as purty. Anyway, I found the owner's manual as well as a very handy repair manual on eBay for relatively short money (don't remember exactly how much) Good luck! Have fun with your new toy!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Howdy neighbor! I'm in OC as well. Welcome to the forums!
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The Refer

You might try this before getting rid of the old refer.
Take a look at all of the piping on the back. If it isn't all rusted out, which would cause it to lose the ammonia.

Make sure it is level when you try to test it out. Place a level on the freezer floor in both directions. Side to side and fore and aft.

If it cools in the electric mode, then the refrigeration unit is OK. If it does not cool. There is a small heating element in a tube, probably on the lower right hand corner on the back. It's about the size of a medium cigar. Make sure the thermostat is set to at least 5 and it is in the "ELECTRIC" mode. This tube should get warm (hot) but it will take a while since the heating element is prabably 150 watt maybe 200 watt. If you are in a warm climate it make take a few hours for it to cool the entire box. You should notice a temperature change in the freezer first. I bought a new element for mine, I think it was less than $40.00. It is really easy to replace. Just make sure the refer is unplugged before you do it.
If the electric side works, then you can check out the Gas side. There is a small burner in the back, if it lights, but won't stay lit, try replacing the thermo couple. If it lights and won't cool, try cleaning the flue above the burner.
This might save you as much as $1000.00. I hope it does.
Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Twins to a Double.

Take a look at my Blog. You'll see what I've done to my '74 Argosy 26'. I'm planning on converting the twin beds to a double. Will post the results, when I figure out how I'm going to do it.
Again! Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Good to see another 70's model Airstream rescued and someone wanting to take the time to bring these old trailers back to life. It is hard to say what caused the damage on the front panels, but they can be replaced. There are probably others but Camper Clinic, camperclinic.com and Bob Jones RV, Bob Jones RV are long time experienced Airstream service facilities that can handle most any repair job that you may need on your Airstream that you can't or don't want to do yourself.

On your fridge, as someone mentioned it could be the electric heating element that is bad. Here is a great site that has lots of good information on RV refrigerator and can provides a wide range of parts.
RV Mobile, RV and Gas Refrigerators

Good luck on your new Airstream

Don
1976 31" sovereign
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Oak Cliff , Texas
Thanks for the tips on the refrigerator. I have a friend who is in appliance repair so I'll have him consult if I don't get anywhere with it myself. Also, another friend (where the camper is parked) has a shorter 1 door fridge, same brand, etc. so I might use that in case this one is hosed, and it would give me a slot for a microwave. Unless there is an online free source of PDF manuals (I'm guessing not) I'll look to ebay. One thing I'd like to add to the trailer is a small kegerator for my homebrew.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Oak Cliff , Texas
I ordered a manual set on CD from ebay. I had some keys made for the door, but I'm still unable to open the exterior hatches with the round keys. I'm hoping I can access these from the inside.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If your AS is like my Argosy, you can remove the deck under the mattresses to gain access to the area. I don't think you will be able to get to the battery if it is in a plastic box. On mine the water heater is under the street side bunk, no key to access it. On the street side there is one access hatch behind the refer, it does require a key. The curb side has one access hatch to a storage area under the bunk. Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up ya did good

Good score on picking up the Tradewind. Excellent size for many reasons.
BTW I visited your photo site and you do very fine work.

I was not aware that there was a Service Manual available until the '72 models. But if that ('72) is what you get, it will prob suffice as I don't think there were many differences between '71's & '72's.

If you ever become a joiner., the forum's (and perhaps all of Airstreamin's) resident artist Michael DePraida known as ArtStream is the membership guy at the Heart o' Texas Camping Unit
https://sites.google.com/site/hotc99club/ .
HOTC is also the home unit of the "infamous" Tin Hut who "writes" for Airstream Life mag.
And also home unit to Bill Fisher who was the 1st guy in history to do something notable on a motorcycle, but damm if I can recall what it was... (but I was impressed).
I have met some of those Ho'Tx members and they are pretty cool folk. Lots of vintage interest in that particular club. It is a North Texas one based out of Ft.Worth I think.Check out their website.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote