Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
New Overlander owner from NW Kansas

Hello all,,

What a great site,, and group of people.. The wisdom and such goes way beyond what I have ever seen on other chat rooms or groups.

I am a farmer rancher in NW Kansas and have been on a search for a good used AS for seems like a life time.. The ones we found were way over priced or gutted.. Or 1500+ miles away,,

Been watching the one we ended up and got for over 2 years.. The fellow started out at $32,000 and the last listing he was down to real world value of $7700.. Unlike most of them we only had to drive 280 miles too go look it over.. Found he had sawed a large hole in the bedroom wall looking for the power inverter.. My GoD! ( price discount)

The shelves under the sink were in a pile but other than one small ding in the rear roof the body shell looks great..

While on our search for a good AS,, I gave up 2 years ago and got a 5th wheel (nameless tooth pick and staple wonder).. It had a small 6 in. gap in a rear corner of the body.. Turned out to have and rebuild the entire wooded body frame from the rear of the wheel wells to the roof.. The only thing that held the water heater in place and from falling on the road was the 5 cans of spray foam.. After seeing the construction of the stick and staple wonder,, it forced me another level harder to find a good solid AS to invest in,, not just patch together another stick and staple rolling money pit..

The other factor to put the push on finding a good Airstream was the RV show we went to in Kansas City the end of January.. We looked at 40 trailers or more and then came too the Airstream display.. It was the difference between a wooden wheeled covered wagon to the space station.. Our day at the RV show was over once we saw a new Airstream..

Found this group and am impressed with the support and lack of personal body slams a lot of chat rooms seem to draw.. So far noting but good advice and help..

Looking forward to meeting you all and in time be able to forward my support from my new found wisdom about Airstreams.

So far no regrets.. Every morning I look outside at our trailer investment and it looks better as each day passes.. Rare in today's world..

Sodbust
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
So, got any pictures?! We all like pictures around here - sounds like a nice trailer! Welcome aboard! Maybe our paths will cross sometime - we're practivcally neighbors!

Sharui
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ok,, pictures.,, how much time do I have?

I will try..

Sodbust
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
As much time as you need...but rumor has it, if you don't post some, you'll get kicked out of here in no time! <just kidding>

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ok,, pictures.,, how much time do I have?

I will try..

Sodbust
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ok,, got some pictures posted of our new baby ,, where I dont know???????

Search my handle,, Sodbust..

Sodbust
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hey, Sodbust!!

I've driven an awful lot of roads over the years, but I'm pretty sure I've never run that N-S stretch of 283, much less the E-W stretch of 24 past your place. You is in the back end of no-whar, ain'tcha? Me, I'm at the end of the road where the U.S. comes to an abrupt end, but Texas still stretches another 150-miles south.

Have been enjoying many of your first 87-posts as there appears to be an initial overlap in common interests between us. There are a number of retired and active gear jammers around here, too, with some insightful posts (among them, Mikethefixit and Crusty to name just two). There are some other sodbusters and cow chasers around too. If I'm not mistaken there is at least one ex-bull hauler . . guess he has all the bases covered.

If you choose to fill out your "signature" (User CP) I hope I'll see that you're pulling with a Dodge 5.9 turbodiesel with the man trans. It's sort of -- to the dismay of the Ford & GM guys -- like going from stick-built to aircraft-built . . some companies got it right the first time. Ha!

I note your savvy first post above (quality counts) and wanted to say,

Welcome!!

(And I wish I were as close to the mountains as you are. Your "nowhar" has my "end of the road" trumped mightily on that. It's 1,000-miles to cool clean air from here in the summer).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am a farmer as well. Drove an 18 wheeler back in the 60's. From Denver to Cheyenne over the pass to Laramie then back to Denver. I can still hear that ole 6-71 Jimmy screaming. That was before I-80 was there. On the old road the down hill to Laramie was 7% for 10 miles. Got pretty tricky in the winter.
Don't know if your rig is road ready yet. If so and you can get away from the farming for a couple of days. The DenCo unit is having a maintenance rally in Fleming, CO on May 4th to the 6th. It would be about a 4 hour trip for you. We are planning to attend. Hoping the weather will cooperate.
Just look for the rally's in the header on the forum. All the details are there.
This will be our first time at one of these things.
Hope you can make it.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
No where is a good address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Hey, Sodbust!!

I've driven an awful lot of roads over the years, but I'm pretty sure I've never run that N-S stretch of 283, much less the E-W stretch of 24 past your place. You is in the back end of no-whar, ain'tcha? Me, I'm at the end of the road where the U.S. comes to an abrupt end, but Texas still stretches another 150-miles south

I note your savvy first post above (quality counts) and wanted to say,

Welcome!!

(And I wish I were as close to the mountains as you are. Your "nowhar" has my "end of the road" trumped mightily on that. It's 1,000-miles to cool clean air from here in the summer).

Rednax

Thanks for the welcome.. Yep here in the area of Hill City,,, we have 1 working stop light in over 1200 sq miles.. Other than the poor fresh items at the food store its a good place to live,, I think?

Don't know about some of the folks here as I can tell they have very little under hood time or wrench time to understand what in heck I'm trying to talk about.. Glad a few old gear jammers are here so I don't feel too alone..

Keep me in mind and I will look out for you..

Sodbust
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I am a farmer as well. Drove an 18 wheeler back in the 60's. From Denver to Cheyenne over the pass to Laramie then back to Denver. I can still hear that ole 6-71 Jimmy screaming. That was before I-80 was there. On the old road the down hill to Laramie was 7% for 10 miles. Got pretty tricky in the winter.
Don't know if your rig is road ready yet. If so and you can get away from the farming for a couple of days. The DenCo unit is having a maintenance rally in Fleming, CO on May 4th to the 6th. It would be about a 4 hour trip for you. We are planning to attend. Hoping the weather will cooperate.
Just look for the rally's in the header on the forum. All the details are there.
This will be our first time at one of these things.
Hope you can make it.
TG Twinkie

So a fellow sod buster on board! great I don't feel so alone..
I started out with a IHC 190 with a 500cu gasser back when I was around 12 years old.. Heck knows how over loaded I was,, but it would bust the centers out of the BUDS in a heart beat if one hit the turns too hard or bumps.. I know I had to gross over 40,000 on a single axle part of the time.

A 6-71 was my teeth cutter back in my oil patch days ( early 70s ) when I worked at night as a tool pusher and days as a farmer,.. It was an old GMC cab over with a 15 speed and turned up too the max... It would spin 3200 and anything over 2600 it seem to gain another 150 hp.. Got stopped in Texas pulling a 92,000 lb load of drill stem one night running 102mph.. yep,, ,10=-00x 20s to boot.. all miss matched,,, I think one even had no hunting painted on the side wall.. ? Too be young and dumb again..!!!!

Wish I could put a big red x on the event May 4th with the Colo. group and all depends on the work I can get done in this month along with the weather..

My main slack time since I'm semi retired and don't do much with the cattle anymore is from Nov 1 till about April 1,. Too old to out run a mad cow so let my son in law earn his keep in the winter taking care of them,..
My rig is ready,, packed bearings,, new tires,, and even watered up and the ice box full of ice colds.. Did I say all polished up?? Never again,, Going to just use a acid wash down next time I think..

Will keep my eye on May 4,, as that is what I got this Alum tin can to do..
Sodbust
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Yeah!! Congratulations! Can't wait to see your pics. Enjoy
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote