Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
New Old 1967 Caravel just purchased

Hello,

I just purchased a 1967 Caravel off of Craigslist for a mere $1000. I just couldnt pass it up. You just dont see many of these short airstreams for sale. So, i paid a $500 paypal deposit to hold it and drove up to East Texas to "pick it up" and pay the other half.

I knew it was going to be a fixer upper, it was gutted, no parts inside the airstream. Hey, a blank slate can be cool though. And we live near an Ikea. I thought that if I didnt like it for myself as a camping trailer, it would make a great food trailer. There is a great cupcake airstream in austin where we live.

It will definately be a project as you can see from the picture but it will be fun. Some good news - it does have one good original curved window. Yeah! I saw Inland RV has a sale on some windows. Or would plexiglass work?

The good: door not too bad, aside from a big scrape across the bottom. handles and etc work. window cranks all there. Even has an intact great screened door. Decent tail lights. Front and back of panels great.

The bad: floor rotted in places. 3/4 windows need replacing. one wheel brakes locked up. big scrape from front to back on door side. Well, there is lots of bad, so i dont want to list all.

I didnt get to take it home, as the tires were all dry rotted so i spent an hour pulling the wheels off. I would have brought some spares but it seems like there are all types of wheel configurations. This one happened to have 5 lug on 4.5. I believe 15 inch. I will go to discount tire and have them put on some truck tires.

The owner didnt know squat about the trailer. On the phone she said when they were backing the trailer up, the wheels came off the rim. Translation - The dry rot tires fell off the rim. And she said that the wheel locked up.

Now this is where things are left. I am sure the brakes are locked up on the door side. The hub does not spin. You have to force it and can hear some scraping (brakes), the other side hub spins fine. Trailer is on jack stands. Wheels off. Can anyone tell me how to release these brakes? I believe i have to take off wheel bearing cover and pull drum off???

Thanks all!

KenClick image for larger version

Name:	airstream door side.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	157111

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream side 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	157112

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream rear.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	157113
knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Interesting project! I couldn't have passed it up for that price either!

As for plexi - I've had a plexi side window for 9 years now and I've never seen any reason to splurge and put glass in there.

Good luck, I'm sure someone will have an answer for you soon

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 caravel, caravel