Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
New NEST Owner... Anyone else having issues?

Hello, Everyone.

I am new to the forum... but not to camping, or to RV'ing.

Wondering if there are any other Nest owners out there. Even more to the point: Has anyone had any issues or defects that they have come across with their Nest?

I wish that this posting could have been under different circumstances. Sadly, it is because the Nest seems to have some major short-comings regarding Quality.

Presently, I am in an open dialogue with Airstream directly about how they intend to resolve this matter. I have a detailed video on YouTube describing ALL of the problems my particular Nest is having. They have asked me not to release it to the public. I have agreed in the hopes that they will offer up a satisfactory resolution to the matter.

I will however, list a few of the issues for any others who may be having their own set of problems, and wish to let it be known:
  • Ceiling sagging and dropping debris
  • Sidewalls in galley flex and move, like they are not secured
  • Numerous bolts and screws found laying about; no idea where they go or what is now unsecured
  • Fabric on the walls sagging and detaching from cushioned backing
  • Drawers not working properly
  • Shower door hinge off-center, leaving a gap in the seal
  • Numerous loose screws (if you haven't checked... I urge to do so BEFORE they fall out)
  • Screen door handle comes detached and falls to the floor
  • Vinyl flooring buckling up and detaches from subfloor
Like I said, I have a video documenting all of this. I am curious... did I just get a "lemon". Or, is Quality Control for the Nest really just that bad? I considered several others options before deciding on the Nest: NuCamp T@B, Jayco, Casita, etc. ALL of which are much more affordable. I was, and still am, happy to pay a little more for a better product. BUT, when that "better product" fails to be the case...

I am not trying to give Airstream a bad name here. Let's be honest: These campers aren't cheap. The Nest should be MUCH better than this. The camper is less than a year old! And I have been the owner for less than 4 months!

So, is anyone else having issues? Did I just happen upon a rear defect? Is Airstream possibly releasing this Nest camper prematurely, without adequate quality control, and just now finding out that it has serious issues?

Maybe. If so, then if I were to do it over, I would wait to buy a new Nest and see how they work out the bugs a few years from now. If it makes it that far.
Magpie Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Sounds like a buy-back by Airstream is in order.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Holding to my word, I have not put the video out there for public review. But here some photos showing a few things I am talking about.

The counter top caulking separating.

The chip of the wall that fell down.

The screen door handle.

The fabric on the wall, and how it detaches... and when pressed back down it wrinkles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6385.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	340257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6393.jpg
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	340258  

Name:	IMG_6777.jpg
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	340259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6780.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	340260  

Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Sounds like a buy-back by Airstream is in order.
I would honor that option. And it would go a LONG way with me (and others, I imagine), if they would do the right thing here.

The photos really do NOT do these issues justice. The video, however... well, it is just sad. Especially the ceiling/roof not properly secured.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Same old story, different verse.

Absolutely excusable.

These forums are full of quality control issues on various rigs.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry for your troubles. I have replied to your comment in this older Nest thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-184330.html

Good luck getting this resolved.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you, everyone, for the comments. Some have asked if we are in communication with Jackson Center - the answer is, Yes. Sort of.

I made initial contact with Dave Prosser of customer service and he was kind enough to offer his email and receive my concerns and the video I have been referencing. His response, however was less than stellar. Basically, he offered: contact the dealership where I purchased the Nest, or make an appointment with Jackson Center.

I have little faith that the dealership - no matter how well-trained they may (or may not) be - can completely address ALL of these issues. The offer to take it directly to AS is acceptable, but that is no small travel from Texas, and as I told Dave, "This is not an expense we should have to pay for, as these issues are not our fault."

I received no further communication from AS or Dave, and was later contacted by the dealership service Dept. who informed me that AS forwarded all of my communication to them... including the video.

In fact, when we bought our (Certified Pre-Owned) the sales person bragged about how the previous owner was excited to be one of the first Nest owners in the country. Even our vinyl floor pattern is different than the other, “new” Nest models they had at the dealership.

I don’t know, but I feel like the only way this can be fully corrected is to have Jackson Center actually do the repairs, or have them supply us with a new trailer.

The last 6 of the VIN are: 720028. Funny thing is... the “8” literally had an “&” stamped, and then I guess the mistake was realized, and they didn’t scrap the plate, but instead just stamped an “8” over it. There are just SO MANY questionable issues with this particular Nest.

I have been informed that the number "28" indicated that my Nest was #28 off the assembly line. Now sure if it was a prototype that they placed out there for sell... or if they were simply still working out the bugs. But for certain, it is flawed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6784.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	340318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6785.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	340319  

Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
It seems that I am not going to find relief from Airstream. The last conversation I had with them was, "The dealership will take care it".

There are MANY more, well-experienced RV owners out there than I am. Maybe I am just not seeing this whole thing correctly. I am honoring my agreement with AS to not make the video live on YouTube - for now - but I have decided to post it here to give anyone who wished to view it a chance to tell me: Am I wrong? Are these not defects? Is this something that others think the the dealer should, or can, fix?

https://youtu.be/1ZNn0HTLn-c
Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I wish you all the best in getting this resolved. Should AS offer to replace the trailer, and should they give you the option of replacing it with one of their aluminum trailers, I would recommend doing that rather than getting another Nest, unless you are determined to stay with fiberglass.

AS has much more experience in Al trailers than in fiberglass. From the many other posts here detailing issues with the Nest, it seems AS is still on the learning curve regarding fiberglass.

Not that the Al trailer will be problem free, but at least AS knows how to fix them.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Magpie Nest, you might want to check out this thread from olgoat about his quality issue and the response from the COO of Airstream, Justin Humphreys (Post #4)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f543...te-195419.html

Drop Justin a note / link to your thread. I think he would like to know about your troubles.

Hope you can get everything resolved. We love the "Airstream Experience"!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I wish you all the best in getting this resolved. Should AS offer to replace the trailer, and should they give you the option of replacing it with one of their aluminum trailers, I would recommend doing that rather than getting another Nest, unless you are determined to stay with fiberglass.

AS has much more experience in Al trailers than in fiberglass. From the many other posts here detailing issues with the Nest, it seems AS is still on the learning curve regarding fiberglass.

Not that the Al trailer will be problem free, but at least AS knows how to fix them.
Thanks, Scott. This is a discussion my wife and I have had just this morning - Should we have gone with the Bambi? If AS offered to traded-out or buy-back the Nest, would we be more satisfied with the aluminum AS?

IF, and at this point it feels like a monumental "IF", AS honored some kind of an arrangement like that, and we decided on a less-than-brand-new Bambi 16, are there any KNOWN issues that are major problems with that model?

Not sure. Just wondering.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Magpie,

Years of posts here indicate ANY Airstream is a crapshoot. Some have factory quality problems, some do not. They all have problems later. Moving to a Bambi is not a sure-fire solution, even if they offered. Take it to Ohio for repairs.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Take it to Ohio for repairs.
Larry
It is sounding like this may be the only solution.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie Nest View Post
Thanks, Scott. This is a discussion my wife and I have had just this morning - Should we have gone with the Bambi? If AS offered to traded-out or buy-back the Nest, would we be more satisfied with the aluminum AS?

IF, and at this point it feels like a monumental "IF", AS honored some kind of an arrangement like that, and we decided on a less-than-brand-new Bambi 16, are there any KNOWN issues that are major problems with that model?

Not sure. Just wondering.

Thanks!
We'v had three new Airstream trailers since 2011 and not a lick of problems with any of them (beside squeaky floors-not an issue for us). I believe that we are more typical of Airtsream trailer owners than not.

Previous to the trailers, we spent 8 years and 80K miles with the then newly introduced Airstream Interstate. It was somewhat of a rust bucket but we endured and with Airstream's help had most rust problems resolved. They will work with you, but it does requires some patience.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
As others imply here, there are no particular issues germane to the Bambi (which, according to AS is any of several single axle models), other than that you might find in any model.

Typical issues you might find are: Assembly sloppiness, fit & finish issues, trash left over from the factory, and so on. I know this sounds odd, given these well-known issues in the automotive sector were the downfall of the big-three back in the 70s.

There are fewer design/engineering issues with the Al trailers, given their long history, but here are a few long-standing "problems" with all AS trailers that could be fixed, but haven't:
  • Plywood floors: over time these will rot away whenever water gets to the subfloor, which is ineveitable. Coosa Board and other composite matierals exist which might add, at most $1000 to the cost, but would solve the problem forever.
  • Poor insulation. AS trailers are not 4-season trailers. The all-aluminum design, combined with large single-pane windows makes insulating them a challege, but still, they could do much better than fiberglass batts that have a relatively low R-value and hold moisture and attract varmets
  • Wireing. 110 is run with solid wire, not flexible multistrand, which is what is recomended on a moving vehicle. Outlets are cheap and designed for quick assembly i.e. wires are pushed into blade connectors, not screwed in. If you ever want to run a new A/V cable or any other type, there are no conduits to help. Wires are sometimes TAPED(!) to the outer skin, no kidding.
  • Appliances installed are not the top of the line offerings from the suppliers, but often the cheapest.
  • Likewise many other components are cheap plastic, industry standard fittings slapped on, screwed in or glued.
  • The particle board-formed furniture does not hold up well; screws will be shaken loose on the road; interior doors will fall off occasionally.
  • AS still sells models with suicide doors; should the latch fail during travel, the door will be destroyed, and the interior, should it get wet, will quickly deteriorate. I know of no other manufacturer so obtusely daft as to make a trailer where the door will violently burst open during transit.

The saving grace of AS Aluminum trailers is that most of the shells are water-tight and will last decades, unlike the aluminum clad, formaldehyde-soaked plywood or fiberglass shells that degrade within 20 years or so. And they look nice.

Those are the known issues I know of; there maybe more others here will in the spirit of full disclosure will share with you.

The crazy insane thing is, besides these few ills, we generally like 'em.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
“The particle board-formed furniture does not hold up well.”?

Quote:
As others imply here, there are no particular issues germane to the Bambi (which, according to AS is any of several single axle models), other than that you might find in any model.

Typical issues you might find are: Assembly sloppiness, fit & finish issues, trash left over from the factory, and so on. I know this sounds odd, given these well-known issues in the automotive sector were the downfall of the big-three back in the 70s.

There are fewer design/engineering issues with the Al trailers, given their long history, but here are a few long-standing "problems" with all AS trailers that could be fixed, but haven't:
  • Plywood floors: over time these will rot away whenever water gets to the subfloor, which is ineveitable. Coosa Board and other composite matierals exist which might add, at most $1000 to the cost, but would solve the problem forever.
  • Poor insulation. AS trailers are not 4-season trailers. The all-aluminum design, combined with large single-pane windows makes insulating them a challege, but still, they could do much better than fiberglass batts that have a relatively low R-value and hold moisture and attract varmets
  • Wireing. 110 is run with solid wire, not flexible multistrand, which is what is recomended on a moving vehicle. Outlets are cheap and designed for quick assembly i.e. wires are pushed into blade connectors, not screwed in. If you ever want to run a new A/V cable or any other type, there are no conduits to help. Wires are sometimes TAPED(!) to the outer skin, no kidding.
  • Appliances installed are not the top of the line offerings from the suppliers, but often the cheapest.
  • Likewise many other components are cheap plastic, industry standard fittings slapped on, screwed in or glued.
  • The particle board-formed furniture does not hold up well; screws will be shaken loose on the road; interior doors will fall off occasionally.
  • AS still sells models with suicide doors; should the latch fail during travel, the door will be destroyed, and the interior, should it get wet, will quickly deteriorate. I know of no other manufacturer so obtusely daft as to make a trailer where the door will violently burst open during transit.

The saving grace of AS Aluminum trailers is that most of the shells are water-tight and will last decades, unlike the aluminum clad, formaldehyde-soaked plywood or fiberglass shells that degrade within 20 years or so. And they look nice.

Those are the known issues I know of; there maybe more others here will in the spirit of full disclosure will share with you.

The crazy insane thing is, besides these few ills, we generally like 'em.
Skyguyscott, you make some good points but I have to ask about the “particleboard“ comment.

Since when or ever did Airstream use particleboard in its furniture? We toured the factory last month and our tour guide made a point of stopping to show everyone the plywood construction and how they bent the wood for curved components. He said they do not use any particleboard.

Just curious if you knew the new construction does not use any particleboard.

Thanks for sharing your views - I wasn’t familiar with the Coosa board; sounds interesting!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It would seem like the actual warranty you have will come into play. Is the trailer still under warranty? Did the new trailer warranty transfer with the ownership transfer? What does "pre certified" mean. That sounds like a warranty through the dealer to me. What does the dealer say he can actually do? The wall covering seems to be the big issue. Caulking and loose screws should fix up pretty easy. I wonder how that Nest was stored? Sounds like it has been hot inside of it.

I agree that Jackson Center would be the best place to get it worked on. I personally would not expect them to pay me for the trip. If they fixed the trailer under warranty that would seem like enough.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Now you know why the original owner decided so very quickly they no longer liked their new "Nest"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Particlebord or MDF

The furniture used in modern Airstreams seems to be made of some sort of MDF, and it is not made in Jackson Center, but elsewhere and installed at JC.

It appears to be some sort of compressed engineered wood product not unlike what you'd find at Ikea.

Now, what I do know is that this material is not as light as say, solid poplar, nor is it as dense or as good at holding screws. One can, however, easily repair a stripped screw hole using tooth picks and wood glue.

IMHO, alternatives, such as lighter, more durable metal lockers, or even 1/4" plywood clad framed furniture and the like would be better. If you really wanted to go high-tech cool and lightweight and durable, carbon fiber or ballistic nylon or Kevlar as materials would work well, if not blow the budget.

In any event, what's used now has been known to loose screws, and deteriorate, especially if water finds it's way to the core.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #20
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
The furniture used in modern Airstreams seems to be made of some sort of MDF, and it is not made in Jackson Center, but elsewhere and installed at JC.

It appears to be some sort of compressed engineered wood product not unlike what you'd find at Ikea.

Now, what I do know is that this material is not as light as say, solid poplar, nor is it as dense or as good at holding screws. One can, however, easily repair a stripped screw hole using tooth picks and wood glue.

IMHO, alternatives, such as lighter, more durable metal lockers, or even 1/4" plywood clad framed furniture and the like would be better. If you really wanted to go high-tech cool and lightweight and durable, carbon fiber or ballistic nylon or Kevlar as materials would work well, if not blow the budget.

In any event, what's used now has been known to loose screws, and deteriorate, especially if water finds it's way to the core.
Could you provide pictures to show the wood used in the construction of your modern Airstream? My 2017 is all plywood with a laminate.

Tags
(nest), airstream, defects, faults, issues, nest, quality control, review