Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
How did Airstreams get their reputation for good quality?

Airstream trailers have a reputation of high quality -- for reasons curious to those who have invested in a new trailer recently and been disappointed in the lack of craftsmanship evident in their expensive new RV. How can that be?

I can only speculate. We do know that when Wally Byam, the founder of AS was alive and owner, he would take caravans of Airstreams out into the world, and when something broke repeatedly, tell his teams to fix the issue. "Let's not make any changes," he reportedly said, "only improvements"

The world-wide caravans where widely publicized and captured the imagination of the American consumer. Also, the fact that AS trailers were favored by Hollywood movie stars gave the trailers a certain aura.

Finally, of the many peer companies in the RV business back in the 1930s, only Airstream remains. And thanks to the durability of Aluminum, many trailers, (AS estimates as many as 70%) are still on the road.

The public must be forgiven for thinking something that old must be high quality (overlooking the sweat, toil, and uncounted retirement savings feverish aficionados have poured into the vintage trailers to keep them rolling)

At some point, perhaps after Wally passed, perhaps when Beatrice owned them, perhaps when the bean counters took over, whatever, at some point profit became measurably more important than pride.

I would love to put any vintage trailer that someone has lovingly, painstakingly restored, or even any more recent model someone has hacked, modified and customized against anything rolling out the door in Jackson Center today and see which is the better trailer. What do you think?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Ray B, JeffMC -- in regards to the the particle board -- I can't swear exactly the material used in current production -- when I toured the factory recently, it appeared to me to still be some sort of MDF. They have certainly used it in the recent past, (even for the subfloor in the 80s). (See thread here:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ews-75738.html

Vener coated plywood would be an improvement. But regardless if it is plywood or particle board recent users are still complaining of screws shaking loose, and I have to wonder why it remains a problem. (see thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...em-126876.html
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:03 AM   #23
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
... But regardless if it is plywood or particle board recent users are still complaining of screws shaking loose, and I have to wonder why it remains a problem. (see thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...em-126876.html
Most likely cause - over inflated tires and/or WD bars too tight while driving at high speed on rough interstate roads.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #24
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
As others imply here, there are no particular issues germane to the Bambi (which, according to AS is any of several single axle models), other than that you might find in any model.

Typical issues you might find are: Assembly sloppiness, fit & finish issues, trash left over from the factory, and so on. I know this sounds odd, given these well-known issues in the automotive sector were the downfall of the big-three back in the 70s.

There are fewer design/engineering issues with the Al trailers, given their long history, but here are a few long-standing "problems" with all AS trailers that could be fixed, but haven't:
  • Plywood floors: over time these will rot away whenever water gets to the subfloor, which is ineveitable. Coosa Board and other composite matierals exist which might add, at most $1000 to the cost, but would solve the problem forever.
  • Poor insulation. AS trailers are not 4-season trailers. The all-aluminum design, combined with large single-pane windows makes insulating them a challege, but still, they could do much better than fiberglass batts that have a relatively low R-value and hold moisture and attract varmets
  • Wireing. 110 is run with solid wire, not flexible multistrand, which is what is recomended on a moving vehicle. Outlets are cheap and designed for quick assembly i.e. wires are pushed into blade connectors, not screwed in. If you ever want to run a new A/V cable or any other type, there are no conduits to help. Wires are sometimes TAPED(!) to the outer skin, no kidding.
  • Appliances installed are not the top of the line offerings from the suppliers, but often the cheapest.
  • Likewise many other components are cheap plastic, industry standard fittings slapped on, screwed in or glued.
  • The particle board-formed furniture does not hold up well; screws will be shaken loose on the road; interior doors will fall off occasionally.
  • AS still sells models with suicide doors; should the latch fail during travel, the door will be destroyed, and the interior, should it get wet, will quickly deteriorate. I know of no other manufacturer so obtusely daft as to make a trailer where the door will violently burst open during transit.

The saving grace of AS Aluminum trailers is that most of the shells are water-tight and will last decades, unlike the aluminum clad, formaldehyde-soaked plywood or fiberglass shells that degrade within 20 years or so. And they look nice.

Those are the known issues I know of; there maybe more others here will in the spirit of full disclosure will share with you.

The crazy insane thing is, besides these few ills, we generally like 'em.
All VERY good info. Thank you! And that last line, I think, sums it up: in spite of the short-comings, there is still so much to love. I suppose the only thing I am trying to express with all of this is - If it comes off the assemble line with defects, take it back and run it through one more time. Warranties should not be a crutch for poor quality control.

I am prepared to walk away from this whole ordeal with a happy feeling about AS overall... if they do the right thing.
Magpie Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Ray B, JeffMC -- in regards to the the particle board -- I can't swear exactly the material used in current production -- when I toured the factory recently, it appeared to me to still be some sort of MDF. They have certainly used it in the recent past, (even for the subfloor in the 80s). (See thread here:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ews-75738.html

Vener coated plywood would be an improvement. But regardless if it is plywood or particle board recent users are still complaining of screws shaking loose, and I have to wonder why it remains a problem. (see thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...em-126876.html
It's a lightweight all wood ply. Yes, screws can strip easily is over-torqued. I went through my trailer and put thin CA glue in all cabinet door the holes that were still holding well, and put a sliver of wood and thin CA in any that were stripped already.

BTW, hate to break it to you, it may seem like it, but the 80's is not "recent past" anymore!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #26
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
It would seem like the actual warranty you have will come into play. Is the trailer still under warranty? Did the new trailer warranty transfer with the ownership transfer? What does "pre certified" mean. That sounds like a warranty through the dealer to me. What does the dealer say he can actually do? The wall covering seems to be the big issue. Caulking and loose screws should fix up pretty easy. I wonder how that Nest was stored? Sounds like it has been hot inside of it.

I agree that Jackson Center would be the best place to get it worked on. I personally would not expect them to pay me for the trip. If they fixed the trailer under warranty that would seem like enough.
The warranty is being honored - that should be made evident. That is not what I am presently having issue with. All the screws loose on the floor and the sagging ceiling, cabinet off the track... that is acceptable, in my mind, to be repaired or replaced under warranty.

The shower door hinge being unlevel, the cushioned wall fabric coming off, the vinyl flooring bubbling up, the interior walls wiggling... these are much more involved “repairs” that I am finding it hard to foresee how the dealership will be able to fix back to what should have been “factory spec” to begin with.

As I mentioned to someone else: if you buy a new car, and the stitching on the seat comes undone. When you take it in for a warranty claim, you do not expect them to say “We will just super glue the seam and it will be fixed”. That is not a repair... that is a hack.

To answer you question about the warranty - Certified Pre-Owned means that the dealership is an authorized AS dealer and it’s sale of used AS trailers means that any factory warranty that still exists will be honored by AS. We have had the warranty officially transferred via Jackson Center into our name.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #27
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Now you know why the original owner decided so very quickly they no longer liked their new "Nest"!
This would appear to be all too true
Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #28
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
The furniture used in modern Airstreams seems to be made of some sort of MDF, and it is not made in Jackson Center, but elsewhere and installed at JC.

It appears to be some sort of compressed engineered wood product not unlike what you'd find at Ikea.

I would have to agree with this. The walls, at least in the Nest, are not compressed plywood or anything like what I have seen on the traditional AS’s. Whatever it is, Scott hit it on the head, it definitely looks exactly like IKEA “wood”. Right down to the veneer they use.

That is why I am mostly concerned about how they are going to address the thin wall that the shower door is misaligned to. It’s not like they can just remove the hinge and screw it back in correctly.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #29
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
I am honoring my agreement with AS to not make the video live on YouTube - for now - but I have decided to post it here to give anyone who wishes to view it a chance to tell me: Am I wrong? Are these not defects? Is this something that others think the the dealer should, or can, fix?

youtu.be/1ZNn0HTLn-c

Due to spammer issues, the forum won’t let me post the video as a link. If any care to see the video for themselves, you can just copy/paste the address above.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I don’t understand why you’re litigating this in public prior to following the warranty process.

You’re smart not putting this video on public YouTube before having the dealer attempt resolution on your issues; you’ll look foolish complaining about things that haven’t even happen yet.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You may want to look at the gap at the bottom of your rear door. Unless your door was partially open, you could see light at the bottom.

This seems to be an early production model that really needs to go back to the factory. I'd be planning my trip soon!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie Nest View Post
The warranty is being honored - that should be made evident. That is not what I am presently having issue with. All the screws loose on the floor and the sagging ceiling, cabinet off the track... that is acceptable, in my mind, to be repaired or replaced under warranty.

The shower door hinge being unlevel, the cushioned wall fabric coming off, the vinyl flooring bubbling up, the interior walls wiggling... these are much more involved “repairs” that I am finding it hard to foresee how the dealership will be able to fix back to what should have been “factory spec” to begin with.

As I mentioned to someone else: if you buy a new car, and the stitching on the seat comes undone. When you take it in for a warranty claim, you do not expect them to say “We will just super glue the seam and it will be fixed”. That is not a repair... that is a hack.

To answer you question about the warranty - Certified Pre-Owned means that the dealership is an authorized AS dealer and it’s sale of used AS trailers means that any factory warranty that still exists will be honored by AS. We have had the warranty officially transferred via Jackson Center into our name.
Let the warranty repairs be done and then - if they are not properly addressed - start your complaining. Give them a chance to repair before you speculate that they will not be able to address your problems ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Let the warranty repairs be done and then - if they are not properly addressed - start your complaining. Give them a chance to repair before you speculate that they will not be able to address your problems ...
I think Magpi Nest is not complaining but just in wonder at the quality of this prototype. It almost seems as if it originally passed inspection and then fell apart. An early model for sure. Airstream probably has all the fixes waiting for him in JC. Thank god for warranties!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #34
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I think Magpi Nest is not complaining but just in wonder at the quality of this prototype. It almost seems as if it originally passed inspection and then fell apart. An early model for sure. Airstream probably has all the fixes waiting for him in JC. Thank god for warranties!
Jay, MeFly2, Turk: You are all correct, I feel, in your own way.

Jay - I have partially put these matters out there to both coax AS and the dealer to do what I feel is the right thing. Which at this point, I am leaning toward just getting my money back. And to inform others that these issues exist, as this would have been VERY informative before making the purchase to begin with.

MeFly2 - I addressed your comments in another thread. And as agreed there, you make a valid statement.

Turk - For me, I think you hit it right on the head. Putting an early-run product out with potentially mediocre QC, that could possibly even be a showroom prototype, for someone to buy at full price... seems dishonest.

I have a service appt set for May 16th. We shall see how things develop from that point.

For what it’s worth, I do appreciate all the advice, comments and even the admonitions.

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You may be interested in this other Nest QC thread IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546...st-195626.html

Good luck with the repairs.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #36
Flyin' the Coop

2019 Nest
San Antonio , Texas
Conclusion..? I am hoping so.

Hello everyone. It's been a long week and I am sorry for the delayed response on this matter.

Here is the run-down as brief as I can make it:

Airstream Corp: the COO has gotten involved and done the following - informed the dealership that all necessary materials needed to make the repairs will be supplied immediately (typically this takes about 3 weeks, but they are expediting matters). Once repairs are complete, AS is re-issuing a factory warranty to start all over again (3 years). Items that were not included with the trailer from the dealership (not sure why...) are being sent as well!

Dealership: The service manager met with me and personally went through the camper with me to review all of the defects. He was also very familiar with the video I posted, so this helped things go much quicker. I left the camper with them for the day. I was impressed to see that they had repaired everything that was manageable at the time, and the rest will be repaired once the parts arrive from AS. This includes a complete, new drop ceiling and new side panels. The floor, I was informed, is a "floating" design, and the service manager had to admit that there was no way he could repair the buckle. He advised me to live with it for now, unless it gets worse. Is the camper "like new"? No. Did the dealership do a good job with the repairs? I can say, yes they did.

The cabinet did, ironically enough, come detached again after transporting the camper home. But, I was able to fix this myself and didn't bother to mention it to either party.

Overall, I am satisfied with the results I have received. AS really stepped up and made things right by offering the extension on the warranty. I think that was a true sign to them being supportive of the buyer. The sales team at the dealership did offer to buy the Nest (not at a "buy-back" rate) and sell us a 2007 Safari 25 SS WB they had on the lot for close to an even trade. Even though it was in fairly good shape, and was bigger... my wife and I just didn't want to open the door to MORE issues that might be lurking in the shadows - so to speak. Better the devil you know...

A side note: I asked AS if they have had any other reports of defects of this sort from any other owners. Here is the Manager of Owner Relations response,

"I can’t say that we have never had a problem with a headliner, however certainly wouldn’t say it has been a wide-spread issue. You are correct with your assessment that with any new unit there will likely be improvements from what is being reported to us or seen in warranty repairs."

I wish to thank everyone for their support, advise and wisdom. My wife and I are hoping to have many more wonderful miles ahead of us in our Nest.

Thanks!

(For any who care to follow our blog, and our journeys from tiny teardrop to now: http://two-magpies.com. and @twomagpiesrv on Instagram)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update Magpie. You might be interested to know that another Nest is being shipped back to the mother nest, so to speak, in the thread linked earlier.

Good luck,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You may be interested in this other Nest QC thread IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546...st-195626.html

Good luck with the repairs.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Tucson , AZ
Same headliner issue

Yes, I took my Nest home today and in 10 miles the headliner had come loose.
Clarke318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke318 View Post
Yes, I took my Nest home today and in 10 miles the headliner had come loose.

At least it made from Jackson Center to Tucson without the headliner coming loose!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #40

2019 Nest
Rapid City , Michigan
I currently have my March 2019 Nest in an Airstream dealership to fix various problems including many of the ones you describe.
-the inside plastic door frame is cracked and has to be replaced
-the sliding screen door seems warped and chews up while retracting
-the bathroom door (or the WALL) is warped and door can't be latched - dealer says they're replacing WALL
- the led light strip only works one third of the way around
-the interior upholstered side panels keep popping out and have to be pushed back in
-the retractable canopy keeps jamming
-the paint on the hitch is already bubbling/ rusting and flaking off
-the anchor for the door rod is already rusted
-the Dometic panel is very slow and laggy
-the floor under the dinette is very spongy and creaks very badly like it's unsupported
- very sloppy caulk job around front window

I asked dealer if this thing had been in accident or was returned - chassis just seems torqued somehow and that would explain warping walls, spongy floor, pooping of side panels - they said no.

I bought this at the end of April and have yet to get to camp with it while I've been waiting WEEKS to get parts

I am also at point of thinking I got a lemon or a very early production model and they're just telling me that it was manufactured in March of this year.

I really love the Nest and would be more than willing to by it again based on its excellent design but as for the vaunted Airstream "quality" I just have a very hard time justifying it. Maybe I just have a lemon and should ask for my money back and buy another one that has improved manufacturing quality. GROAN.

As an aside, since I haven't converted the dinette into a bed yet (since it hasn't made its way out of my driveway since April until now (straight to the dealer), what have other people done as far as the bedding/ mattress pad setup? Airstream has no video or accessories for being able to make the dinette setup into a bed other than simply laying the cushions out. I am desperate to figure out how to make it a comfortable bed (even though the cushions are quite nice in themselves).

I really want this trailer but question what I've gotten myself into. I paid CASH for it by the way.

Thanks for any input!
TorchLaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(nest), airstream, defects, faults, issues, nest, quality control, review