Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
New Middle Tennessee member

First, thanks to everyone who has posted previously as you helped my wife and I understand how to best select a suitable Airstream.

We live in Middle Tennessee, this is our first travel trailer and we're motorcyle riders.

My wife is an artist and likes the vintage look of the Airstreams. We needed an extra bedroom for the Christmas holidays and had been talking about doing some camping. So the search began about 2 months ago.

Last Saturday we drove to Athens, Alabama to look at a 1973 31' International Sovereign. The exterior was in good condition with a few small scratches and bumps. The interior was almost all original with all appliances and systems working. The oven had been replaced with a microwave. The previous owner is delivering it Monday.

Thanks again for all the help that you've provided. Hopefully as we gain experience with Airstreams we'll be able to "pay it forward" by helping others.

Thanks,

Rodney & Gayla
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome aboard! You are in for a real treat owning an Airstream. There's a bunch of us in the southeast - check out threads like Falluminum, Springstream and Canopener for starters. Enjoy!!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
welcome

hello from a fellow tennessean.

i agree with the others for you to get involved with the canopener, fall aluminum and other southern get-togethers. a nice group to know.

they also have much info on owning an airstream

hope to see you down the road

pat and al
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations!

You are going to have so much fun making that trailer your new home away from home.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Welcome . . .

from fellow Middle-Tennessee Airstreamers! Congratulations on your new "baby". We're just up the road a ways so feel free to contact us if there's any assistance we can give.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Many thanks

Thanks for the warm welcomes. We look forward to meeting many of you in the future.

"You can get everything in life you want if you'll just help enough other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Congradulations, we just bought a 31 foot Excella II a few months back. We are in the Huntsville, AL area just down the road.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hi from Southeast Tennessee! I had a 31 foot Sovereign. Loved it. Now I have a motorhome, but looking to go back to a trailer. Won't stray from the Airstream brand though.

Glad to have you aboard! When you get down this way, holler.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Congradulations, we just bought a 31 foot Excella II a few months back. We are in the Huntsville, AL area just down the road.

Perry
The 73 Sovereign we just purchased was from Athens, AL. Very close to Huntsville.

"You can get everything in life you want if you'll just help enough other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar
Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Athens is real close. It is a backwater of Huntsville. I picked up my Excella II in Columbia, TN.

Perry
Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Rodney & Gayla, did your new AS arrive on Monday as planned? Post pictures please. We are just up the road from you, close of Kentucky Lake. We just bought our new to us Safari 25 in September.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Congratulations from Knoxville
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
We need some sort of regional group forums so locals can get together and help each other and compare notes. I have no idea how many Airstream owners are within an hour or two of me.

Perry
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
Rodney & Gayla, did your new AS arrive on Monday as planned? Post pictures please. We are just up the road from you, close of Kentucky Lake. We just bought our new to us Safari 25 in September.
Our weather went south on us Sunday night and the current owner of the Airstream we're purchasing called and asked if we wanted him to come up as planned or wait for better weather. I wanted to have plenty of time to go through everything with him so we agreed to put it off until Friday. I think it was a good move as not only did it pour down rain all day Monday but I woke up Tuesday morning with 1/2" of snow on the ground at our house! That's pretty unusual for this part of Tennessee.

Looking forward to the delivery this Friday and will post pictures.

Thanks for everyones' well wishes.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
We need some sort of regional group forums so locals can get together and help each other and compare notes. I have no idea how many Airstream owners are within an hour or two of me.

Perry
Perry, that's a good idea. With as many great State Parks as we have in Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama, it would be easy to enjoy some small gatherings during the warmer months.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
One way to get together with other Airstream owners is to join WBCCI. Lots of local and regional activities. Ga is a strong unit. Our unit has monthly events. Fl state rally in Sarasota with vendors. Even though WBCCI catches pure hell on this forum it is still a great resource for airstream owners. Do not knock it until you have tried one of the national caravans.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
New A/S owners

Congratulations from an OLE ARKIE.....You and your company will fight over who gets to sleep over in your new addition.......The adventures you both will take, will go as far as your mind will let you......ENJOY !!!
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bell Buckle , Tennessee
Here are a few pictures of our "new to us" 1973 Sovereign.

When we started looking for an Airstream there were a few things that we wanted: 1) everything works, 2) no large dents and 3) able to be used immediately. We found it with this one and the owners were really nice. They included the slide in hitch, load levelers, electronic braking system and extended side mirrors. The only thing he didn't have was the anti-sway bars. Plus he delivered it from north Alabama to our home in Middle Tennessee.

It's in good shape outside and inside. A very few small dents and a scratch or two. The awning is in good shape but doesn't have the metal cover that most seem to have. Not sure if that can be added or you have to buy the entire awning to get that. Maybe it would be nice to have the 2 awning on the back side as well?

The tinting on the windows looks purple in the sun and the LP tanks on the front aren't original (one is but can't be filled anymore).

The sealer is coming off in several places but it still looks good. Perhaps one week next Spring we'll take on the daunting task of stripping and polishing (or perhaps not).

The interior is pretty much original and everything works. The oven was replaced with a microwave and the carpet was replaced with square "VA" tile. Everything works as it's supposed to for electric/LP/battery. Sink covers are missing. Not sure where to get those.

Curtains are not original but do have the connectors top and bottom to keep them in place.

Twin beds, mid-cabin. We thought about the center bath but the bathroom seemed much bigger with the rear bath. The beds are (just) long enough for me to stretch out.

Everything in the bath works and looks to be in good condition. I think the tub/shower is going to be a bit short for a 6'2" guy but I've showered in Liberia, West Africa while standing on a half cement block and pouring cold water over my head from a coffee cup. This can't be that tough.

As mentioned, the oven has been replaced with a microwave. Probably not a big deal since we'll cook outside when possible. One problem though is the vent crank handle that hangs straight down in the kitchen. It hits me (literally) in the middle of my forehead. I will try removing it as I know this will become the beginning of a permenent indention otherwise.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
It looks great! The GA unit of the WBCCI has a campground about four hours from you in Helen, GA. We hold a lot of rally's in the summe and are a very active group. I encourage you to drop by sometime. It's a very friendly group.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote