Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
New Mexico Unit Kudos!!!!

Hello all -

For those that are unaware of my recent problems with SilverToy (my AS), I did have a rather severe issue with the segment protectors ( below the beltline) which had been poorly factory mounted - as such they came loose and had to be removed under way, and/ or lived without. Given the numerous dents in the SS that covers the area to save the Aluminum, they are an obvious terrific benefit. How to remount?

To assure that a subsequent mount option would be stable, sturdy and AirStream'ish, I went to the Mecca of the AirStream world. Jackson Center OH. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!!!! So cool to see. there are numerous hotels close by. Since the tour only lasts about a hour, there is still time to go to the Bicycle museum and other nearby attraction - Dexter Axle builds in the same town!!!

While I was at JC, I got 2 brackets that are now used on all newly constructed AS trailers to anchor the segment protectors. These brackets are very robust. Still and all, when I stood before SilverToy knowing what I had to do, she gave me the jitters..... bad!......!!!!!!! Drilling holes into clean and clear sheet Aluminum isn't my thing. Called a few Albuquerque WBCCI friends whom I met at a Xmas party some months ago. They said that they could easily get me roadworthy in no time. And darned if they didn't - 2 hours ( give or take) and SilverToy was back in the 'modesty' business. Looks GREAT too!

Having a group of people that really know what they are doing is a terrific feeling. And they are all friends for sure. This is what WBCCI can do in spades - and they should be trying to do everywhere.

Soapbox is away.

During this repair there was as much fun, if not more so, as at a campgground with owners giving tours both local and of trailers, meeting everyone, and finding a place to fit in.

So, a HUGE compliment to the 069 NM Unit of the Wally Byam CCI. A mighty fine group and gentlemen besides, to a one.

Ciao

Axel Freese
factor8man@yahoo.com
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote