Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Originally Posted by strshpntrprz
When I get nervous about money, or are we doing the right thing, I get out a tape measure and stretch it out to 75 or so inches ( average lifespan)??? Then put my finger on 66 and 64 inches, my wife and my age. And look at where we have been, and what is left, and things feel MUCH better. GOOD LUCK guy's and enjoy whatever comes.
THAT is brilliant!! :-)

SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Me and Angel have fulltimed for about six years now. He's retired but his checks are not enough to be happy getting thru each month. So I signed up on, now have a very nice place to call home...almost too nice. Managing storage is kind of an on going thing...sometimes tempted to bring something home but then stop to realize if you want to drag it with you. Here is a link you can sign up to that helps folks like you to get what situation you want out there. Some pay- and some do not pay. But I have seen retired couples making it as gate keepers at these parks with the Corps of Engineers.
Work for RVers and Campers: Employment, Campground Jobs, Volunteer, RV Business

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I have often thought ,"you know how much money you have, but do not know how much TIME you have".
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Wow - I am loving all of these great thoughts - so encouraging and refreshing. Luigi - you are spot on with your thinking. Though "only" in our early 50s, we've begun to sense our mortality as some of our peers have been stricken with or taken by health issues. That being said, we both have longevity in our families (my MIL passed away last year at 91 and my maternal great-great's lived past 100), so our tape measure's (GREAT idea, btw) might extend a bit past 75. Nonetheless, my husband has adopted my mantra: "if nothing changes, nothing changes". We can talk for the next 10 years about doing something like this and keep working and staying at the status quo, or we can take the action now. Our financial outlook wouldn't be much different in 10 years - a comfortable living, a couple of vacations a year, a few extra bucks in savings but nothing drastic to speak of - so the question became, "why NOT now?" Crazy? Maybe - but it suits us :-)
AirKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
AIR-Quarius - thank you so much for the link - it will definitely come in handy! Excited to think about the opportunities out there. I know we will have to shift our paradigm of thinking when it comes to wages...we have been fortunate in our careers to make a decent living, so the $8.00/hour jobs make us cringe a little bit. But then again, I've adopted the "less is more" attitude!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Love the tape measure image! I like to think of it in days. I am 65 and if I live to be 75 that is 3,650 days left. I am not full timing (yet) but as I sit in the shade, on top of a hill, in the beautiful Ozarks, on the 4th of July, with my lovely bride I realize I no longer have days to waste! I am off to take a swim.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Live your dreams. Few among us are the "boring" stereotypical 2.5 kids, etc.

If you have taken care of "responsibilities" then enjoy the journey.

Life is not meant to be lived vicariously, rather, that I slide up at the Pearly Gates totally worn out and smoldering from re-entry and greet St. Peter with the words, "Wow! What a ride!!!!"
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
82 for women, 79 for guys. You've got some time left.

Also, don't forget that's the average and takes into account all those people who pass on much sooner. If you've made it to 66, then you've got an excellent chance to make it well into your eighties.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
CWF - Far be it for me to typify the 2.5 kids, white picket fence kinda gal. I've had others say they live vicariously through me! I've been a career changing, state (and country) hopping, spontaneous woman most of my life. My husband of a scant 8 months knew this ahead of time - boy am I blessed that he's ready to go on this ride with me...and what a ride it will be :-)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: Life Expectancy from Social Security Administration

Text below is extracted from Social Security Website.

According to data compiled by the Social Security Administration:

* A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.

* A woman turning age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 86.

And those are just averages. About one out of every four 65-year-olds today will live past age 90, and one out of 10 will live past age 95.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote