Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Graham , Alabama
New Members, 1966 Sovereign 30'

Hello,

We are Ray and Teresa, we purchased our first AS from a good friend, I am late on the intro, as things moved faster than we expected in bringing our AS 100 miles home last weekend. We depended on all you wonderful seasoned AS memeber for much needed help in transporting our AS.

Her official name is "The Magic Carpet Ride", I have posted many photos outside and a few inside as we found her pictures. I hope to start a blog soon. We have lots of questions, and guidance needed onces we are able to start on her.

One of my first questions is regarding the Corning windows used in the 1966 Sovereign. It seems that most all windows are either stationary sealed at this time with regard to a couple. Was there issues that anyone knows of with the 66 as I have searched many times here and elsewhere and I just don't see many 66 Sovereign articles or photos.

Glad to be here and will be posting more often as we start work on her.

Al
http://teraypoodles.com
Teray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, Ray & Teresa, and welcome to the forums! I'm sure that you'll find loads of info about your 66 here!

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but the curved windows on your 66 were standard in three years: 66, 67, and 68. For a while, it was not possible to find glass replacements for these windows, but they have become available again.

Ours is a 67. Leakage around the windows is not a great problem, but can be if the seals are bad. Replacement seals are available and are not difficult to install. They go onto the aluminum window frame, not on the window itself.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Lynn

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teray View Post
Hello,

We are Ray and Teresa, we purchased our first AS from a good friend, I am late on the intro, as things moved faster than we expected in bringing our AS 100 miles home last weekend. We depended on all you wonderful seasoned AS memeber for much needed help in transporting our AS.

Her official name is "The Magic Carpet Ride", I have posted many photos outside and a few inside as we found her pictures. I hope to start a blog soon. We have lots of questions, and guidance needed onces we are able to start on her.

One of my first questions is regarding the Corning windows used in the 1966 Sovereign. It seems that most all windows are either stationary sealed at this time with regard to a couple. Was there issues that anyone knows of with the 66 as I have searched many times here and elsewhere and I just don't see many 66 Sovereign articles or photos.

Glad to be here and will be posting more often as we start work on her.
Some owners never ask questions, and therefore all too often, do something to the trailer, that is not necessary.

There are only 2 causes of rain leaks from your windows.

The first, and most obvious is a bad gasket. Updated replacement gaskets are available.

The second, is a leaky hinge.

How to correct the leaky hinge, has been posted several times before, but here goes, again.

With the window closed, clean the swivel point of the hinge, on the outside of the trailer, very well.

After the hinge area is "TOTALLY" dry, with the window closed, inject some clear silicone sealer, into the pivot area.

After about 5 minutes, open the window to the maximum. After about another 5 minutes, close the window. Repeat this open closed operation, a number of times, until the sealer solidifies. Do not allow the sealer to set without window movement.

Then close the window, and remove the excess sealer.

Repeat this for all the opening windows.

This is the "ONLY" time that you can use silicone sealer on the exterior of any Airstream.

The new gasket, properly installed and the hinge treatment, will correct any window leak issues.

This procedure has been in use for over 40 years.

Andy
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Graham , Alabama
Smile

Thank you, this is on of the first issues I want to address as we do not have much history on this AS, other than she had 20 year old tags and I don't want any more water damage that she may have already on shelfs and doors under the sink. We do not have shelter over her at this time and spring rain is upon us. Thank you we will look into ordering the new gaskets all the way around on her.
Al
http://teraypoodles.com
Teray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Ray and Teresa! I know you will enjoy your time with us, and learn lots about your new-to-you trailer!

By the way, there are lots of photos of your 1966 Sovereign here.

We would certainly appreciate you posting any and all photos of your trailer,too.

Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teray View Post
Thank you, this is on of the first issues I want to address as we do not have much history on this AS, other than she had 20 year old tags and I don't want any more water damage that she may have already on shelfs and doors under the sink. We do not have shelter over her at this time and spring rain is upon us. Thank you we will look into ordering the new gaskets all the way around on her.
If the trailer had 20 year old tags, that would usually mean that it didn't move in 20 years.

The following article will help you to determine if any part of the suspension system might need attention, before you take the trailer on the road.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy

Tags
1966, 1966 sovereign, sovereign