Old 06-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
In an attempt to step out of the emotional aspect of what set-up is "best" (which depends on a mix of personal opinion, personal experience, individual circumstances and interpretation of the science)...perhaps the most important thing to remember is that anything that improves one's ability to control the rig on the road is worth exploring and considering to put into use. Any set-up that enhances control is a good thing...

The bottom line is that if we can help avoid a bad situation and save loss of lives and property for both ourselves and others while on the road, we need to seriously explore it. Few here would argue the concept that some sort of additional hitch set-up beyond the ball and receiver is a prudent direction in which to go. What that particular set-up is, each of us has to decide for ourselves based on our own situation and the variety of options available.

Hank...I hope that in all this you have been able to get some information that will help you decided what your best set-up might be...this is a highly discussed (albeit emotional) topic and you might want to read through some of the threads that deal with this in the subforums ( http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/ ) ...the more information you have the better decision you can make.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
Hanko: Welcome to the forums!! After reading the reponses to your question, you must admit, These people are passioate about everything "Airstream". I agree with the safety and becareful aspect of what is being said, but everyone has an opinion.
So, here is mine.......

I feel that all the various hitches will do a good job for if ..IF they are used properly! No bend on loose rods is not proper!! Before you go spending more money, go to the website and learn the right way to install and configure the hitch you have. Then use it for a bit and then see if you want to go a different way. That is the only true way to make such a choice.

Once you decide that, you will learn to have confidence in your equipment and learn how use it and your coach for a lifetime of fun with friends and family. Knowing you're safe and secure!!

Dan

Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
What hitch and sway bar ??????

Hank,
Well you have had a lot of info given to you in here about all the different types of hitches and sway bars, most of it good, some I am not sure about. But again what do I know for sure except for the advice I got from a trusted source with years of experience and owner. This is the first time I have used a sway bar and the only reason I am at this time is because of the type of TV I have. When I had my 2004 Harley Edition F250 Ext Cab long bed 4X4 and was pulling a 31 foot Excella I could hardly tell it was there even in 30 mph winds. Believe me when the time becomes available I will be selling this 07 GMC Seira and going back to my F250 plus I need a place to put my HD Ultra.
Back to your issue; the one thing that I seen on here was Andy from Inlands take on the insurance and wreck issue, there is quite a difference between the statistics of 40 years ago and todays vehicles ( I mean anything produced after 2000). Compare the frames of a 1985 to a 1995 and you will see a 25% in strength capacity and a 50% increase between 1995 to 2004. Springs have also changed considerably since then as well considering that springs on a 1/2 ton in 1985 was only rated for a trailer 2000 pounds and under, where the springs of today are rated for 8000-9500 pounds, same with shocks there has been considerable updates to them. Hitches have also changed, back in 1985 to have a hitch rated the same as todays class V hitch you had to have it custom made. I know this for a fact because my father was a welder and made them frequently.
One thing Andy did say and all insurance companies as well as most accident construction specilists will agree is that one of the most common cause for accidents involving a TV and trailer is inexperience.
Now you may be wondering; My experience is a retired 22 year truck driver/owner operator with 1 million miles accident free, plus the training I had from my father in welding, plus when I was not working driving I took classes for accident investigation for private investigation and had plenty of chance to use full then part time. So I do have some knowledge about this sort of thing.
I know I have not been much help except for this tid bit of advice; seek the advice of a professional you trust, and then talk to Airstream factory and get their advice, they know more about these trailers and all the different TV than all the people on this site together!! And A/S has been doing this for How Long now 75 years????.

Sarge
WBCCI 2500
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
To all that provided input to my towing dilema:

I apprieciate all the advice you have given me. I can see I am probably going to have to get an expert to look at my trailer and TV and get there opinion on what is the best system to tow the 28 footer. I feel the EAZ Lift Sway is not the most efficient method and I have too much invested to take a chance with it and even if it will handle it, knowing there is a better system out there would affect my confidence in it.

Sarge: I'm kind of in the same boat as you as I want to haul a HD in the bed but the 1/2 ton is just not going to do the job, especially with the extra weight in the bed. Trouble is, I bought the truck before the trailer, now I'm kinda stuck unless I want to take on more financial burden and upgrade. I believe the 1/2 ton will handle the 28 foot trailer but I'm at the top end of the handling curve.

Thanks again

Henry
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Towing Delema

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
To all that provided input to my towing dilema:

Sarge: I'm kind of in the same boat as you as I want to haul a HD in the bed but the 1/2 ton is just not going to do the job, especially with the extra weight in the bed. Trouble is, I bought the truck before the trailer, now I'm kinda stuck unless I want to take on more financial burden and upgrade. I believe the 1/2 ton will handle the 28 foot trailer but I'm at the top end of the handling curve.

Thanks again

Henry
Henry I glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem. When I hook up the trailer to this 1/2 Ton GMC and see how much it squats, I know that there is no way to put an extra 1000 LBS in the bed, like you I bought this truck last Oct and so an upgrade is not feasable until the end of this year or after the first of the year. So given the fact that my A/S is at the factory and will be there until May 09, this gives me some time to try and pay down on this one and get ready for trade, and I will trade before May 09 because once I pick my trailer up I want to spend the majority of my time in it (at least as much as finances will allow). I also have a 03 Bonneville (wifes car) with 70,000 miles to sell as well before then possibly before Christmas. If everything goes ok in the end of 2009 I am going to sell the house and then go into full time.

Sarge