Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
New member with a '06 23' safari

hello everyone. We are Walter and Lee ann smith, hence the handle. Seemed convenient and appropriate! Many thanks to all here who contribute to the forums. I have extensively researched many topics and make many changes and learned so much already. We are two trips out and hope to make this monthly affair.
Our Trailer was bought sight unseen on ebay from North Carolina. i had it contract hauled to Northern CA. fortunately when it got here it was in like new condition with no apparent issues.
So far everything works and there is no apparent water damage anywhere. Lucky us!

The trailer had a reese WD hitch with no sway control. It seemed to tow fine, but I came across used PP and installed it this week. Wow two finger towing!

We're looking forward to many miles and many smiles as our journey begins.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hello WaLee and welcome to the forum. We have the same trailer and so far we've been pretty happy with ours too. Hopefully, we'll get to use ours a lot more in the coming months/years.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
So far we have 3 trips out now. Everything seems to be working well.
The sleeping arrangements are cozy for sure. But overall the coach is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
WaLee... enjoy your 2006 Safari. We recently sold ours to a new first time Airstream owner and it was difficult to part with an "old friend". The 23 footer and the 25 footer are probably the most popular sizes of Airstream. When you find that the 23 footer taught you what you need to know about Airstream... it will be easy to find a buyer in the future.

If you have the original mattress in yours, we changed ours over to a Memory Foam Mattress Topper (Queen Size), cut it down to fit and left the original at home. Best single improvement we made on our 2006!

Tell us how your trips and trailer work out. In time we will be asking you for pointers!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Ray:

So far we have about 14 nights out. It's a great sized trailer. We did put a memory foam topper on the mattress. Sure helps make it better for the two of us on that little bed. No tossing and turning. You're right about it being the perfect learning size trailer. Easy to tow, and can go into any campground. Big enough to hang out in too. It should work fine for a couple years. If we stick with it we already decided we really like the 27 FB. Room to walk around the bed! The 28 is attractive too. We figure a bunch more nights in our current one will lead us in the right direction. I bought this one right so I'm confident it'll hold good value. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The PO gave us the memory foam topper they had used. We spent a couple of nights on it and the wife didn't like it at all. She tried the fold out couch with a foam mattress pad and liked that better. We took the memory foam off the bed, slept on the original mattress and now momma's happy. So we just put the memory foam in the garage for the next owner if we decide to upgrade.

Me? I'm happy either way, I can sleep on the ground, hammock or pillow top mattress. To each his own.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote