Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Campbell River , B.C.
New Member William_Mc

I've just managed to register Airstream Forums and look forward to participating.

I have a 1986 31' Sovreign trailer that was bought initially at the factory by Denium and Effie Whitesell of Staunton, VA. They bought it when they were 76 years and we bought it in 1996 when they were 86 and getting out of traveling.

We enjoy our trailer and traveled across the USA to Oregon for the Salem International Rally and then on to Canada and back into the USA into Glacier National Park. We traveled 12,000 miles on the trip and really enjoyed it. There were learnings along the way and I'll share some of those in time. Our tow Vehicle is a Chevrolet Duramax diesel with the Allison transmission. It was great on the trip!

We live in Waynesboro, Virginia and are members of WBCCI, Shenandoah Valley of VA unit 149, member number 20585.

We're getting ready for the Perry, GA rally in June, 2007 and are getting the trailer in the best condition.

We have a need to understand why Airstream Uses the Dometic air conditioning unit rather than Carrier. I've found a flow through Carrier unit for 710.00 and the Dometic is above 1,000.00. I'm thinking of using a unit that is a heat pump, and 15,000 BTUs. I'd like to have a wall mounted Thermostat but understand this only comes with ducted air units. Our trailer has no duct system.

Looking forward to talking to you,

William_Mc
William_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
welcome to the Forums. Please share your expertise as you will.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Campbell River , B.C.
Thanks William_Mc,

Checking to determine how the reply system functions; welcome aboard.
William_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Nice to meet a fellow Virginian. Welcome to the forum.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Hope you jion us

William_Mc,

I think the reason for the Dometic is, they offer an internal drain pan that connects to a tube that run down the inside of the wall and out to the ground. This tube, drains the water from the AC when running. Reason, if you did not do it this way, you will have a stream of water down the side of the trailer making streak.

Hope you can join us on the "Wagon Wheels Caravan" down to Perry. We'll be coming down Rt. 29 a little east of you. Here's the info

Wagon Wheels Caravan 2007

Also, You are welcome to join us at our Chery Blossom Rally in April outside of Washington, DC.
Airstream club vintage trailer WDCU WBCCI region 2 Unit 170

I live right up the road from you in Front Royal, Va. If you have any questions let me know. The Shenandoah Valley Unit are some good people. We try to make it to the rally Martha and Steve put on in Nellysford.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome

I'm a flatlander Virginian in Virginia Beach. The Cherry Blossom is great fun. Went there last year with my one week old Airstream (2nd one).

I'll be going to the Women's Summer Solstice rally in Ohio, near the factory - which ends just before the International.

I've got a factory heat pump/air conditioner in mine. Haven't even noticed the brand, but I think it IS a Carrier. Will check tonight and if not, I'll update this thread. I'd guess that a semi clever person could put in a pan, and drain any air conditioner into a drain hose... mine doesn't leak down the side, but drips near the gray/black tank drains.

Glad you found us.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums William. I have a 2006 Safari 30'. It has a Dometic heat pump with the thermostat control. It is not ducted and the condensate runs out through a tube between the road side axles. It also has the option of manual operation. I also have a ducted furnace that uses the LP.

Perhaps the price you were quoted is for the same heat pump unit with thermostat. You may also consider a Coleman unit. Several folks here on the forum have them and they are available with the heat strip.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Carrier A/C

Carrier uses a different technology that is called "slinger wheel" to dissipate the condensation. I have a friend that installed the Carrier unit in their trailer and have been very pleased with the results. I was told there is very little water run off from the unit. Oh and another feature, the Carrier has is infrared remote control !
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Massive Snip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Mc
Looking forward to talking to you,
William_Mc
mr. Mc.

cool, my last name also has the Big M w/ the cute little c. people often have trouble in computer data bases because of adding a space or not...

anyway, i LOVE INFORMATION and HIGHLY DETAILED QUESTIONS. your going to just love this forum.

kevin e. Mc_ OR kevin e. McN_
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We have the same trailer!

Welcome aboard,

My wife and I also have a 31' 1986 Sovereign and we dragged it from Miami to Prince Edward Island and back last year. 4500 miles on the trailer, 13000 on the truck (lots of exploring). No serious glitches -- tough trailer!

The Forum is a great place -- especially for maintenance. If you need to do it, someone has already done it and they will happily help you avoid their mistakes...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I'm a flatlander Virginian in Virginia Beach. The Cherry Blossom is great fun. Went there last year with my one week old Airstream (2nd one).

I'll be going to the Women's Summer Solstice rally in Ohio, near the factory - which ends just before the International.

I've got a factory heat pump/air conditioner in mine. Haven't even noticed the brand, but I think it IS a Carrier. Will check tonight and if not, I'll update this thread. I'd guess that a semi clever person could put in a pan, and drain any air conditioner into a drain hose... mine doesn't leak down the side, but drips near the gray/black tank drains.

Glad you found us.

Paula Ford
It's a Dometic. Neat feature I've just experienced is that the heat pump will go to "aux heat" - the propane furnace when it's too cold outside to extract heat from the air. I don't have to worry about wasting propane if the temp is moderate, but if it's b-r-r-r the furnace kicks in to save the plumbing and my tootsies.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote