Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Apache Junction , Arizona
Smile New member shopping for FB to tow w 2015 x5 35d

Hi All,

Happy to be here. I am retired and just got a used BWM x5 35d.
It has the factory class III hitch on it with the 2 5/8 ball good for 6000# with 600# hitch weight.
I am thinking about a FB19, FB20 or FB23 as a full time RV for a few years to explore the western US and Canada in the summers.
I am new to RVs and will probably rent some airstreams to try them out before buying.
I am concerned about not having a sway control hitch or rear air suspension. Not sure that I should be or not. I hate to toss the $2000 factory hitch and spend the same for a sway control one.....
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Mark S
MES1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
In terms of the vehicle capacity (not the hitch capacity) I would be comfortable up to the 27 foot models, so no worries with the models up you listed.

I think you are better off without the air suspension. You need a weight distributing hitch anyway, and the air suspension just complicates things.

There have been various factory (dealer installed) hitch receivers depending on year of vehicle production. You need one with a 2” square that can take WD equipment, not the one with the detachable ball.

If you go over 23 foot models you should consider getting the receiver strengthened.

You will also need a trailer brake controller.

The X5 is a great tow vehicle, but like other vehicles, it needs to be set up properly.

Good luck and happy camping
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Have some first-hand experience similar to your situation.

Mark, welcome to the forums and Airstream community!

We also started with a similar vehicle, 2016 VW Touareg TDI then found a Flying Cloud 23FB. It was a perfect combo! That trailer has one of the lightest tongue weights- factory rated 467#. Actual was closer to 650 loaded.

We used a BlueOx SwayPro with 1000# bars. It’s a very affordable setup and capable. In fact, we transferred it to our 27’ Globetrotter and Ram 2500; just upgraded to 1500# bars.

We were getting 16 MPG with the Touareg towing. Not getting that with the Ram!

Good luck with your hunt for a trailer! Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C845C7D3-BBE2-4163-A73C-D1928D202E43.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	356506   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F752C0A-6089-49E8-97D6-B1CB78726893.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	356507  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The 2015 did not come with an OEM receiver hitch or a 2-5/15" ball. It came with a solid 2" ball shank that is removable and there is a separate 2" box receiver that is only rated for bicycle rack use. A 2-5/16 ball shank was subsequently developed and released to resolve the AS ball size incompatibility.

So, step one is to find out exactly what you have. Do not panic. All is not lost. It's just that you need to fill in the info that BMW does not provide. JCL and others have offered much. Search for BMW X5 info on the tow vehicle and hitch sub-forums here on AirForums. Search hitch info on the Bimmerfest forum too. The back story is there if you look for the threads.

Not equipped with the air suspension is not a problem. With the air suspension, you have to weigh the rig at a CAT scale to verify proper weight distribution and balance. Air suspension levels the X5. It does not transfer weight. You need the WDH for that function. Do not tow an AS on the ball.

Congrats on the new to you X5. It is a great AS tow vehicle. We have the wimpy little 2015 x35i and are very happy towing our FC23FB.

Note, the FC20 is a great coach and has a dedicated thread to pitch it's value. The 22Sport is a little 23FB and has many advantages. The smaller size is great for a lot of applications. The 19 has a following too, but most folks buy a 25, as it is the most popular. Final choice is a matter of finding the floor plan that works best for you. Understand all before you sign.

Hope to see you down the road with a smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Mark

Over the last 18 years we have configured hundreds of X5's for towing. They are one of the best handling tow vehicles you can own. As Pat said the correct weight distribution system is very important (it is important on all vehicles). If you like send me a picture of your hitch and I will be able to tell you what you need to do. I can also send you some information on how to configure your weight distribution system properly.

For newer 25' and over models we strengthen the factory receiver. There is a great shop in LA that can do that for you if you decide you would like a larger size. With the hitch reinforced the BMW easily handles any size Airstream.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03250.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	356516  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
The ball size required is 2 5/16, the weight of a 23', which IMHO is a really nice trailer and it has dual axles, which is always a plus in my book is about 6000lbs wet. From what I've read the X5 has about a 6600lb tow rating.

You will in all likelihood have to replace that hitch. As has been pointed out the hitch weight is rarely as low as mentioned in the documentation and even with weight distribution (which is really required for over 5k lbs (my opinion), you are gonna be pretty close to maxing out that hitches ability and the last place you want to find that out is on the highway. My trailers have always exceeded those hitch weight numbers as many here can also attest.

Keep in mind that on the flat lands you will be fine (provided you really investigate that hitch), but IMHO, moving a 6000lb RV with a 6600lb tow rating, understanding that cargo and passengers in the vehicle are deducted from tow capacity, you are near or at the max for that setup (X5 and 23'). Might not be a setup I'd want to take to the Rockies.....unless you went with a smaller trailer....but I really like the 23 footers. Best of both worlds (small vs big trailer).
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Mark

Over the last 18 years we have configured hundreds of X5's for towing. They are one of the best handling tow vehicles you can own. As Pat said the correct weight distribution system is very important (it is important on all vehicles). If you like send me a picture of your hitch and I will be able to tell you what you need to do. I can also send you some information on how to configure your weight distribution system properly.

For newer 25' and over models we strengthen the factory receiver. There is a great shop in LA that can do that for you if you decide you would like a larger size. With the hitch reinforced the BMW easily handles any size Airstream.

Andy

Hi, im obviously new... picking up a 23d this week and wondering what “tweaks” will help pre-pickup. Ive got a 2012 E70 3.5d w factory “sport” package. Do not have air suspension. Bimmer has the OEM hitch receiver rated for 600/6000. Have already purchased the bluetooth brake controller..... mostly just two pax w one dog and a cat. Flatlands east coast towing primary area of operation. Was wondering if i needed stiffer springs or shocks, “Dinan” aftermarket chip? AS comes with weight distribution hitch. A little nervous about running at the “max” hitch rated weight.
TV #1 2017 Mercedes AMG GL63
TV #2 2017 Lexus LX570
TV #3 2020 Mercedes GLE580
TV #4 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
RMNummi is offline   Reply With Quote