Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
1969 27' Overlander
Lexington , hbrannon
New Member probably old questions but here goes...

I have purchased a 1969 (that was what I was told) 27' Overland and am trying to do some work on it. The previous owner bought it and the title is lost. I finally found the serial # though the top of the numbers are worn and difficult to make out. Pretty sure the number is I27D0J131. Would that make it a late 1969 0r a 1970?. I am in SC and would like to get a title, anyone have experience in SC with this problem

Thanks and looking forward to participating.

hobrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello to you in South Carolina. Congratulations on your purchase of this vintage Airstream. You will likely have years of fun and frustrations with the thing. I think the Overlander was a very popular size then, and still is.

There are others who decipher VINs better than I, but I will try. I see it is a 27 foot Jackson Center built trailer, double bed. I think the leading I might stand of International trim level. Does your trailer have an International symbol on the sides? I don't know what the 0 stands for, but it is the 113rd trailer built that model year.

Now, 1969 was a very unique year. It is the first year of the new body style. My 66 Trade Wind 24 foot looks like a "twinkie". The new body style in 69 looks more rounded, like a loaf of bread.

The 69's had unique front "wing" windows. They have a square corner on the bottom outside edge, and a rounded corner on the top, outside edge. My son has a 69 Globetrotter with the square corner windows. Here is a photo showing what I mean. Unfortunately one of his shattered for no apparent reason. They are very hard to replace. The 1970 trailers had both corners rounded, which was the window used until the mid eighties.

So if your trailer has square corner front wing windows, it is definitely a 69.

PS My "phone photo" is rotated 90 degrees. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1605 Broken Wing Window.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	266265  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
1969 27' Overlander
Lexington , hbrannon
It's a 70!

Thanks David.
My windows are rounded on both top and bottom, and speaking with Airstream Customer Support, they confirmed what you deciphered on the serial # and the zero (0) stands for the year made- 1970.

Thanks for your help.
hobrannon is offline   Reply With Quote