Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Cincinnati , Ohio
New Member - Possible Owner?

Just wanted to introduce myself here..my name is Sid and I'm in Cincinnati, OH. I came here because I'm looking to make a trip to California to full-time this summer and have been back and forth between an RV or travel trailer. I'm considering purchasing a Blue Bird Wanderlodge, but then decided to look into airstreams because they are less expensive and I would be able to have a full size vehicle with me instead of strapping a scooter to the back of an RV. I've been told that Airstream trailers are the best alternative to a Wanderlodge if I don't want to jump into an RV. I have no idea between the different models and floor plans, as well technical specs for each year. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hi, Welcome to Airforums. Lot's of good information here about all types of Airstream products as well as some kindred brands made of aluminum.

I presume when you say RV you mean motorhome. RV (Recreational Vehicle) includes Airstream travel trailers. You'll find Airstream makes motorhomes too and has made some similar in size to Blue Bird.

I don't have a specific suggesion for model, size, etc. But going to a rally or two will help you understand what features will work for you. In a little over a month there is a rally, known as Alumapalooza, in Jackson Center, Ohio - just a short drive north of you. That may be a good way to get a better understanding of what Airstream has to offer.

Alumapalooza Link

Good Luck!

Lucius

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Member - Possible Owner?

Greetings Sid!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbartos View Post
Just wanted to introduce myself here..my name is Sid and I'm in Cincinnati, OH. I came here because I'm looking to make a trip to California to full-time this summer and have been back and forth between an RV or travel trailer. I'm considering purchasing a Blue Bird Wanderlodge, but then decided to look into airstreams because they are less expensive and I would be able to have a full size vehicle with me instead of strapping a scooter to the back of an RV.
You have discovered the exact reason that many of us choose a travel trailer for our travels . . . is is nice to have the tow vehicle when one is parked for an extended period of time. While you can tow a small car behind a motorhome or carry a motor scooter/small motorcycle, there are fewer complications with most travel trailer/tow vehicle setups.

I suppose that it can be argued that there are other travel trailers on the market today that approach (and possibly exceed) the quality of an Airstream, there aren't many that can boast the full and colorful history of Airstream. The aircraft construction methods are unique in todays travel trailer market, and the recognition of the Airstream shape and brand can't be compared with other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbartos View Post
I've been told that Airstream trailers are the best alternative to a Wanderlodge if I don't want to jump into an RV. I have no idea between the different models and floor plans, as well technical specs for each year. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Airstream is likely the closest comparable travel trailer when comparing to Wanderlodge from the standpoints of market placement and brand recognition. There are numerous offerings from Airstream that start out at 16-feet and top out at 34-feet with a variety of floorplans and features some of which are dependent upon the era in which the Airstream was produced. Some of the places that you can consult to learn more about Airstreams of different vintages are:I am sure that there are many other resources out there, but these will give you a starting place. Something you didn't mention, but might find interesting as many people who use their Airstreams extensively is the option of a slide-out. Slide-outs were offered on Airstream trailers during the early half of this decade, and slide-outs were also offered on the bonded side panel constructed motorhomes that were discontinued a few years ago.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Hi Sid, I'm new too. Good luck on your search for an AS!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Welcome to the forums! You came to the right place for a *totally* unbiased opinion!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It seems like there is a lifetime of reading just in the tire threads, hitch threads and tow vehicle threads. But those are just the start of the reference materials.

All you wanted to know but were afraid to ask questions can start resolution with the search function.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Motor home vs. travel trailer is a personal choice based upon your RVing style. The travel trailer style works for us, although we have considered going motor home. There are many things to consider when making this choice.

Good luck in your pursuit.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote