Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I think you are crazy!

This is high potential for locked off (closed) interstates, ice, blizzards, freezing sleet, and major winds.

Wait until after St Patricks day.

Imprudent to do what you propose, in my opinion.

I tend to agree with your assessment about a lack of common sense being displayed. I am sure similar things were said to the Donner Party and the Willy Hand Cart Company but they chose to proceed despite concerns voiced about the weather.
Unfortunately all we can do is try to tell them this is dangerous and I would not do that if I were you then realize that they are going anyway and try to provide this best advice we can and hope they decide to take a south western trip instead.

Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:18 AM   #30
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
pcskiier, we've stayed at the Mountain Valley RV park in Heber City 2x-- it is a nice place.

Funny story, though-- the last time we stayed there and went to the office the clerk asked how long our trailer was. "Nineteen feet." She raised her eyebrows. She then asked how old it was. "2015-- but it's OK, it's an Airstream." She immediately relaxed and checked us in.

It turns out that there is a commercial operation just down the road that specializes in vintage Airstream renovations. https://varr.co/

Speaking of Park City, March is generally still winter in the mountains, Piggy Bank. April is warmer, but there can still be a late spring snowstorm.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Child abuse? Think this out carefully, plesae!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I'm thinking an air bnb in each city might be your best best. It's only 3 months. Get a trailer later.

I agree with Scott. I am an adventure nut, but I would not try what you want to do, especially with two small children.
If one of your goals is to figure out where you want to live the Airbnb route will help you determine that better than traveling with a trailer.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
I tend to agree with your assessment about a lack of common sense being displayed. I am sure similar things were said to the Donner Party and the Willy Hand Cart Company but they chose to proceed despite concerns voiced about the weather.
Unfortunately all we can do is try to tell them this is dangerous and I would not do that if I were you then realize that they are going anyway and try to provide this best advice we can and hope they decide to take a south western trip instead.
I attribute this to being young and naive, while displaying an admirable sense of adventure.

We see these threads here from time to time, and our responsibility is to help people make informed decisions by speaking the truth about what they are planning....in my opinion.

Maggie
Old 10-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said, Maggie.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I attribute this to being young and naive, while displaying an admirable sense of adventure.

We see these threads here from time to time, and our responsibility is to help people make informed decisions by speaking the truth about what they are planning....in my opinion.

Maggie

Excellent comment Maggie. I agree.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
..... If you are going to tow on ice and snow you will need to consider installing studded snow tires on your tow vehicle. They can save you on black ice and you do not need to install chains......
Hi

If you go the studs route, do your homework first. Some areas outlaw them once you are out of the winter season. There may be areas that simply outlaw them altogether. It's a road wear issue .... That's not to say they are a bad idea, they do a good job. It's just a matter of staying out of trouble with the law.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Child abuse? Think this out carefully, plesae!
I thought about this, but was rather loathe to speak of it...but, since you did...

It may be more child neglect/endangerment, but if you knowingly place young’uns in a dangerous and/or life threatening situation, you could find yourself with child welfare officials rightfully breathing down your neck...and possibly a criminal charge depending on the attitude and beliefs of those in the area where the emergency occurs.

If you must go early next year, reversing your route plan as suggested sounds like the safest for all concerned.

Maggie
Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

It may be more child neglect/endangerment, but if you knowingly place young’uns in a dangerous and/or life threatening situation, you could find yourself with child welfare officials rightfully breathing down your neck...and possibly a criminal charge depending on the attitude and beliefs of those in the area where the emergency occurs.....
Hi

Sorry, but that's a bit of a stretch. People in these areas routinely go out driving in the winter. I have gone out driving in these conditions. They bring their kids along. I certainly brought kids along. Short trips / long trips, the kids were along as the snow piled up.

If things get nutty at a campground, you bail and spend the night in a motel. Everybody gets a hot shower. Stuck by the side of the road, you probably are better off with a home (with a furnace in it and ....err... a toilet ...) bolted on the back of your car.

Can you safely be on the road in quite the same conditions towing as solo? Certainly not. That's a judgement call on a specific day. You can blow that call with an RV, you can also blow the call when solo. (been there / done that).

It's only a problem if you get so attached to the idea that you carry it to a crazy extreme. Exercising judgment while on the trip (any trip !!) is part of the package. If you are in a seashore campground and hurricanes might be in the area, you watch the tracks and the data. If they look like an issue, you change your plans. This is no different.

=========

Speaking of hot showers. My guess is that you will have a tough time with that in an AS in the dead of winter .... back in our tent days, a hotel room "every so often" *was* part of the plan .... just saying ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, Bob, I beg to differ with you on this point, but going out in all kinds of weather with your kids in tow is different from a novice choosing to live with a newborn and 3 year old ...as the OP was planning, and where he was planning to do it.

If you choose to take my statement out of the context of this thread, as you have, that is up to you.

We don’t have to agree, nor will I argue with you about it further, but I can assure you that I am extremely knowledgeable in this area and know that of which I speak.

Maggie
Old 10-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #40
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Maggie,I take your points to heart, but as uncle bob noted, if you live in western snow country year round, yes, at times you do have to pack the baby or young kids in the car to go somewhere important. Generally, though, people who have lived with these conditions for a long time learn how best to drive in them, and generally not towing an expensive trailer. Or they learn when just to stay home. Of course, some of us learn more about winter driving the hard way.

And that's why I'm apprehensive, after having driven I-80 across southern Wyoming/western Nebraska during a ground blizzard with my 3-month old son in a car seat in the back. (The weather forecast was for clear skies, which they were.) Having had an accident (on our way home) on I-80 between Salt Lake and Park City on black ice with my young daughter in the back seat. In this incident I could no longer straighten out the ever-widening skid, but fortunately by then was driving slowly enough up hill that I deliberately chose to hit the median strip concrete barrier in order to stop vs. plunging down a steep gully on the right-hand side. All this while semi trailers were equally losing control and might have smashed into us.

No parent wants to face these driving conditions with a young-un or two in the car, let alone with a potentially jack-knifing trailer off the back end. Once burned, twice shy, as they say. We drive with four serious studded snow tires in winter.

Of course bacon612 and family might have a wonderful journey, with dry pavement and sunny skies the whole way. After all, skiiers drive these routes all the time. But the point being, you can't count safe roads. And even if you're a fantastically safe winter driver, you have no control over other drivers on the road, who may be inexperienced or simply driving too fast for the road conditions.

Also, it's one thing for local people in these snowy areas who have a short and (for them) local trip. It's another thing to do this kind of driving for 2 or 3 months with an RV.

Just a couple of other advice bits in case this trip goes forward and you get caught in a snowstorm despite your best efforts:

1. In a white-out, see if you can follow another large vehicle (preferably the snow plow) a safe distance behind for visibility. Slow is good.

2. In conditions where lower-elevation rain turns to higher-elevation snow, watch out especially for slush on the road. There is probably slick black ice underneath it.

3. Using a paper map or app, avoid high-elevation passes and find a lower-elevation alternative state or federal highway route. Ditto for correlating elevation with storm tracks in the weather apps.

4. Be aware that after a big dump of snow passes and the sun comes out, the lonelier highways will probably not be plowed and salted down to bare pavement for a few days. Road conditions may be snow-packed and slippery.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

Seems as if the OP may have enough experience in cold climates to make sound choices about his family IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon612 View Post
Im actually born and raised in Ontario(Canada) and have spent most of my life there. That said, I am no stranger to colder weather and more importantly winter driving conditions.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #42
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I just love all these Americans trying to tell a snowbird what to do in the winter.

All I'm going to say to the OP is this; be very flexible, if you have any concerns for the safety of your family be prepared to put them up for the night in a motel. Also have no fixed schedule as weather will dictate when and how far you can travel safely.

Goodluck; us Canucks are made of hardy stuff (I hope your better half is also a Canuck......or there could be trouble ahead. )

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote