Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
1976 29' Ambassador
Ste-Anne de la Pérade , Quebec
Send a message via MSN to ignitedsun
Thumbs up New member / Owner!

Hello Folks,

I've been around for a few month but never took the time to introduce myself.

Kind of a father on the go, work where/when I can, my ex wife move with the kid *sort of* far away from home, so I was badly in need of a moving vessel to be able to follow them wherever they go, eventually getting a piece of land where the distance wouldn't be a problem anymore. I've been searching for a suitable travel trailer since a couple of years now and after much struggle with condensation/insulation/full timing problem my choice stop on one of those nice looking aluminium sexy orbital station.

I've choose an 1976 Ambassador after surveying and comparing the best I could up here (Quebec, Canada). Nice place but not that much for a lot of used Silver Shelter who would have been *ready to live in now*.

I sure have felt in some sort of love with the trailer and learned trough her how stuff were installed but after a few days in struggling with a confortable heatin' *around 14C. I've decided to push the investigation of the so called insulation under the subfloor and where I could get my hand in the wall. Removing a bit of carpet there, pulling a bit of interior shell there too.. and, well.

My kids are allergic to mostly every single invisible particle that floats in the air. So here I am, doing a Shell on complete rebuild.

Up to now I gutted her out, removed the interior shell, scrap the rotten insulation (no mold) *this was kind of new pink fiberglass but she has clearly been neglect, so yeah, much leak around there that will need to be fixed before I cover it all again.

My choice of insulation is a layer of foiled bubble wrap - scavenged polyurethane panel from door - and another layer of foiled bubble wrap.

The carpet *wich was pink ? have been remove as for the hard wooden floor too. Electric wiring is OUT, completely, still don't know if i'm going to use it back or not.

My insulation is allready mostly done (wall and roof) but not in perm place. I'll have to remove them once in a while when the interior temperature will be enought to clean and seal the leak, panel by panel..

As for now, I'm figuring howto replace the whole floor and insulate it correctly. Foam it will be. It's winter here and temp goes down as low as -25C, If the frame is in good shape I might as well leave it as it is but I'de like to use some rust converter if needed - if i'm able to get a good average temperature. I have an old gravity oil marine heater that should be more than enough but still, -25 is cold to work on metal piece.

Anyway this was more than needed for a "Hello World i'm New Here".
I'll probably start a new thread with (a lot.) of pictures about the whole project.

Oh and sorry for any misspelled word/sentence/description.

NB. You guys make it quite exciting to work on those lady. Keep going

ignitedsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Some like it cold and some just say to heck with it and go Arctic my hat is off to you but only while it is warm here! My wife would like to bring the caravel to canada on vacation so we are discussing it! Sounds like you have a well developed plan so now take some pictures when you can keep the lens from frosting up! Welcome to the site we look forward to your post!
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote