Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ancaster , Ontario
New Member - Ontario

Just let you know I am from Ontario Canada. Looking for a used airstream somthing that need lots of work. What Year do you think would be good. Something like maybe in the 80's. Somthing around 26 feet and do you think we could install a back bedroom with a queen size bed? Is there an form for rebulding Airstreams?
Estimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
You found the right place! Number one id determine what you will use for a tow vehicle. I have a 73 31 foot and you'll find the bigger the cheaper...but that is because many folks don't want to go big with their tow vehicle. Of course just how far and what conditions you will tow in help determine that as well. I've got an old F350 Ambulance which tows like nothing is back there...but folks do stare 26 or under is probably good.
You sound like you are looking for a shell so you can customize. PAy a lot of attention to the frame and axels. Lots of ideas in the forums. Just remember one rule...keep things light!
Welcome aboard and best of luck!
rob n terry
Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ancaster , Ontario
A shell would be good. I just rebuilt 1997 27 foot Dutchman, Boy are they built cheep. W'll use it till I find somthing I want. We have a big back yard that I can store a trailer and work on it in my spare time.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimator
Just let you know I am from Ontario Canada. Looking for a used airstream somthing that need lots of work. What Year do you think would be good. Something like maybe in the 80's. Somthing around 26 feet and do you think we could install a back bedroom with a queen size bed? Is there an form for rebulding Airstreams?
I know where you can get a 26 Foot, 1958 that has a good body, a complete new floor, new insulation and new wiring. The rest is an open canvas ready for your ideas. It's not far from you in St. Marys, Ontario. I was going to help turn it into a contractors trailer for hauling equipment to job sites but the owner has changed his mind. He would take $3000 as is.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ancaster , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman
I know where you can get a 26 Foot, 1958 that has a good body, a complete new floor, new insulation and new wiring. The rest is an open canvas ready for your ideas. It's not far from you in St. Marys, Ontario. I was going to help turn it into a contractors trailer for hauling equipment to job sites but the owner has changed his mind. He would take $3000 as is.

Thanks for the offer But I would like something newer something in the 80's
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimator
Thanks for the offer But I would like something newer something in the 80's
You might find something at Can-Am in London. They get trade ins that sometimes need a lot of work.
1950 Spartan
Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ancaster , Ontario
Quote:
You might find something at Can-Am in London. They get trade ins that sometimes need a lot of work.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
A 1958 is Vintage

Quote:
This sounds like a very good buy--providing the skin is good and the floor is indeed new.....and it qualifies as "Vintage".....something an 80's unit will not.....just imho........too bad it is not in California....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
if that '58 is a 13 panel, it'd be hard to pass up IMHO, 'specially if you're looking for something to rebuild from the ground up. right here you'll find most every resource/instruction/photo/expert you'd ever need to do it right if you invest the time. the older ones are SO much lighter you can tow them with a larger variety of TVs, not to mention they are exquisite just to stare at after polishing... ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
if that '58 is a 13 panel, it'd be hard to pass up IMHO, 'specially if you're looking for something to rebuild from the ground up. right here you'll find most every resource/instruction/photo/expert you'd ever need to do it right if you invest the time. the older ones are SO much lighter you can tow them with a larger variety of TVs, not to mention they are exquisite just to stare at after polishing... ;-)
The 58 is not a 13 panel, that ended in 57, but the body is real good and will take a great polish. The floor plywood has been totally replaced.
1950 Spartan
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
For a person who wants a trailer to customize, the '58 sounds like a great deal. Wow, a new floor, wiring, good skin, and obviously a sound frame. I couldn't imagine a better place to start. The really nasty parts have already been taken care of.

And I'm sure that the 1980s trailers won't tow any better than the 1950s trailers.

Re: the Dutchmen - I like to describe conventional trailers as being constructed from "sticks and staples."
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote