Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Okotoks , Alberta
Thumbs up New Member - Okotoks, Alberta

Hello,
I've just purchased my first Airstream, via this forum from a nice couple in Idaho; a 28 foot Safari. Haven't yet camped (but slept with her twice). Towed her home with my 2010 Sequoia Platinum (a great match-up). Not sure why but I've ALWAYS desired an Airstream (I've never even seen one close-up before as they're somewhat rare up here).

I live on a quiet cul de sac in a suburb of Calgary...ALL my neighbors have come over and paid mucho compliments. Seems very well built (like my 11 year old BMW) and like-new condition even though 6 years old. Not quite the same can be said for the other used trailers we looked at the past several weeks...

Can't wait to get camping and start living the outdoor life once again. Ditto on this forum.

By the way, anyone care to comment on my purchase price? I'd like to know if I over or under paid or got her for a fair price. If so just send me a PM or post what you think an excellent condition 2006 Safari LS is worth.

Also, my first question as a forum member: anybody have any recommendations how to protect my new baby from hail damage? We get some good thunder/hail storms here every year or two.

thanks in advance and best regards,
/Jody
p.s. any paramount warnings or extremely important advice?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Welcome to the world!

Just wondering if you had a professional Airstream scrutinizer go over your unit before purchase?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AS life.

My only advice is to use it as much as you can. All these things deteriorate whether you use them of not.

See you on the road.

Dave
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Jody,

Welcome to Airfourms and congratulations on the new rig. There are no absolutes when it comes to protection from hail except for maybe covered storage when not camping. Though I have seen storage facility structures fail in very bad weather, or under heavy snow loads. You're at the mercy of Mother Nature. If you're on the road a bridge overpass may be an option.

Post of photographs when you're able.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Howdy from BC... I also tow with a Sequoia Platinum... a 2006 22' CCD. 28 foot LS of the same vintage? I've seen them anywhere from $20K to $30K on the classifieds here... tough to just guess at one of that age as sometimes they have hidden surprises that need to be adjusted for...

Here is one hidden surprise for you... the vinyl floor in that vintage will contract so tight it explodes in -30 or colder. No worries, it's only $7000 to get Airstream to replace it. Yeah - that is why I am doing it myself. No help from Airstream at all, other than to say 'it's built to withstand Canadian winters'.

No way... So, if it gets really cold there, look at getting at least enclosed storage for the winter so you can keep a small heater running in it. If you leave it outside in the snow, you'll get all kinds of problems with melting/freezing and all kinds of holes opening up...

I'm going to pick mine up from Langley next week... they did a few other things while I had it there for the floor estimate.

Stop by Wells, BC anytime - great little RV spots here and nice an quiet.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Friends in Okotoks

Hi and Welcome to the Airstream Family. Like you, we're fairly new owners of a used 1999 Excella. Our friend and colleague Mick McGowan lives up in your area. We now have TWO reasons to pull for Okotoks.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Howdy from BC... I also tow with a Sequoia Platinum... a 2006 22' CCD. 28 foot LS of the same vintage? I've seen them anywhere from $20K to $30K on the classifieds here... tough to just guess at one of that age as sometimes they have hidden surprises that need to be adjusted for...

Here is one hidden surprise for you... the vinyl floor in that vintage will contract so tight it explodes in -30 or colder. No worries, it's only $7000 to get Airstream to replace it. Yeah - that is why I am doing it myself. No help from Airstream at all, other than to say 'it's built to withstand Canadian winters'.

No way... So, if it gets really cold there, look at getting at least enclosed storage for the winter so you can keep a small heater running in it. If you leave it outside in the snow, you'll get all kinds of problems with melting/freezing and all kinds of holes opening up...

I'm going to pick mine up from Langley next week... they did a few other things while I had it there for the floor estimate.

Stop by Wells, BC anytime - great little RV spots here and nice an quiet.
That dealership in Langley just sold a 25' 2006 International Serenity for $45,000. BTW, I'm pretty sure it was your Airstream parked beside me in the maintenance lot when I picked the FaN up on Friday.

When you wrote about the vinyl floor contracting in -30 for "that vintage", do you know if this is still a problem with my "vintage," i.e. 2010?
I don't plan on being in -30 weather....but you never know.

I would imagine there are many heated RV storage facilities in Alberta since Albertans are fond of Rv'g in large fifth wheels and motorhomes.
I don't believe there is an Airstream dealer in the province, though.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You are about to embark on a great adventure. We have now had our dear Lucy for six years. We have spent over 1,000 nights in her and have towed her over 90,000 miles. We haven't tired of her yet. We are camped in Lucy in Coos Bay, Oregon, this morning.

As far as protecting your new baby from hail damage, just do the best you can to her under cover when there is severe weather. This is not always possible as you might imagine. Flying rocks and other road hazards also take their toll. We consider these small dings as battle scars. The only way to totally protect an Airstream is to keep it under roof and never take it anywhere.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
That dealership in Langley just sold a 25' 2006 International Serenity for $45,000. BTW, I'm pretty sure it was your Airstream parked beside me in the maintenance lot when I picked the FaN up on Friday.

When you wrote about the vinyl floor contracting in -30 for "that vintage", do you know if this is still a problem with my "vintage," i.e. 2010?
I don't plan on being in -30 weather....but you never know.

I would imagine there are many heated RV storage facilities in Alberta since Albertans are fond of Rv'g in large fifth wheels and motorhomes.
I don't believe there is an Airstream dealer in the province, though.
I was going to trade my 22' on that one... nice shape... same vinyl flooring as my 22' so I passed. Redoing the floor on that one would be a lot more work as the floor plan is quite a bit more complicated.

Mine is supposed to be done this week... just waiting for the call. That 25' there was originally a US model... and for one sitting on a lot in Canada (which you don't find often), it was OK if you didn't want to drive to find one. I've seen lots of those advertised for ~$30K on airstreamclassifieds... Which makes me wonder if I shouldn't be spending my winters finding good used AS's in the 'States and bringing them here. Now that our dollar is at par or better...

I've heard that the vinyl floor issue is not unique to AS... that the lightweight product many manufacturers used in the mid 2000's had similar problems in lots of RV's. I guess the solution is to go with a heavier material. I still haven't decided if I am going to go with laminate, or some type of sheet product...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Okotoks , Alberta
Pics as requested

These are courtesy of the previous owner; I'll post a pic or two of my own next time I hook her up with the beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0418.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	159016   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0419.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	159017  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0104.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	159018  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Okotoks , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Welcome to the world!

Just wondering if you had a professional Airstream scrutinizer go over your unit before purchase?
Well Yes and No. I'm a registered professional engineer but no I didn't hire a scrutinizer.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSuperfly

Well Yes and No. I'm a registered professional engineer but no I didn't hire a scrutinizer.
Nice looking rig Jody. Did you stay in. Holiday Inn the evening before the purchase? If so, then I'd say that you're good to go.

Looks like you made a good purchase.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations!!! So exciting! Safe travels and please post interior pics!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Once you have bought an RV, that's the time to ask "am I happy with what I bought for the price I paid?", not "did I get a good deal", or "did I pay too much?"

If you are happy with what you bought, nothing else matters and there are always people willing to tell you that you paid too much!

Camp. Travel. Live... Enjoy!

Kevin & Ange - from one province over :-)

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote