Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Columbus , Georgia
New member, new to AS, new to...everything

Hello internet!

My husband and I are considering becoming full-time RVers. I was more for a tiny house, but Hubbs was only interested in Airstream, so here we are. We haven't purchased yet. We haven't even looked at one in person yet. I've been considering this for a while, researching, pinning, reading, but Hubbs didn't really get on board until recently. We had a disagreement about the toilet situation...I want to go compost, he wants to go traditional. If it gets me the RV, I"m willing to compromise, so I think we're going to water-wasting rout.

The RVs we've looked at have been 31' Sovereigns, usually the 70s era. We're planning to gut and renovate to our own tastes without breaking the bank.

We live in Georgia, originally from Michigan, but looking to move to Tennessee. We're not planning to move it very often, and we're pretty accustomed to small spaces as it is (our current apartment is around 400sq ft)

Basically, I'm here to learn and ask hopefully not-too-stupid questions. Any and all advice and information is appreciated.
FalseVaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
The cost of a rebuild is incredible. Taking on a quality project is not for the faint of heart.

Do a search on the "Cost of Rebuild". Ask the same question several different ways. The search function is not intelligent, and you will have to dig a bit to get the necessary threads.

The '78 Sovereign thread in my signature line is only one of many that could help you in your decision on the go forward process.

By the way, the '78 will very shortly be for sale. PM me if interested.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums.

Another good source of "calibration" is the Vintage Airstream Podcast (The VAP). You can get the early episodes, and these tended to focus a lot on finding, recovering, and repairing vintage Airstreams. You can listen to the podcast while commuting, and absorb a lot of information that way. You might also want to look through the Full restoartion threads (also know as Full Monty threads). These will help you see what all is involved in a complete rebuild of a trailer, and help you to decide if that is really what you are up for. At the end fo the day, the type of toilet is just one little detail.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Columbus , Georgia
Thank you for the suggestions! I know we're not ready to buy just yet, we have a lot more research to do, but the knowledge base here will prove to be invaluable I"m sure. Thanks!
FalseVaughan is offline   Reply With Quote