Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
You may not be aware that Airstream along with every other manufacturer does not balance you drums or tires. This could cause a shimmy that will open drawers etc. you may want to look into having your drums and tires balanced.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The Tundra is still a 1/2 ton. It has some big numbers on the board on what it claims it can tow but check out the foot notes:

"When equipped with Sport Appearance Package, standard towing capacity decreases to 8700 lbs."

This decrease is from 10,100?!

Here is what is included in the sport appearance package that drops the tow rating from 10,100 to 8,700lbs:

Color-keyed front and rear
bumpers and grille surround
Fog lamps
Sliding rear window with privacy glass
SR5 Package
Power windows, door locks and outside
mirrors -- black
Cruise control
Windshield wipers -- variable intermittent
Flooring -- carpet
Fabric -- SR5
SR5 badges

The SR5 package

Color-keyed upper and chrome lower front bumper
with chrome grille surround and rear bumper
Engine skid plate
Power windows and door locks
Cruise control
Remote keyless entry system
Windshield wipers -- variable intermittent
Flooring -- carpet
Fabric -- SR5
SR5 badges
Tachometer (Tundra Grade V6 models)

"When equipped with Maximum Payload Package, standard towing capacity decreases to 8600 lbs."

This decrease is from 10,500!

Makes you wonder why they even put 10k tow rating on it at all if you simply add some plastics and light accessories and it drops 1400lbs, which frankly is where most of the competition is at-- the 8700lb range @ 1/2 ton w/ a 5.x L engine.

Keep in mind this is data taken off the 2007 Toyota website and that your Airstream, nearly unloaded is at high water mark, if not water over the dam. Your fully loaded 30' slide, with passengers in the truck, fuel, cargo, etc will, even if the truck is rated at 10,500lbs capacity (and we all bought into that), would be over...and over comfortably.

You have to understand, towing takes much more than just simple movement and slick TV ads. It's a great truck, but it's not the truck for a 30' slide out Airstream IMHO.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52vicky
Thanks to all for your information. The Tundra may be overloaded, but it doesn't feel like it, no strain pulling and no problem stopping. I don't know how Toyota rates the truck 1/2t or 3/4t, but the title says 3/4t. As far as the problem with the bouncing, when I bought the trailer I towed it from Florida with an F350 dually and had the same problem. I made one trip with that same truck and again the same problem. For towing power I don't think I could tell the difference between the two trucks, the 350 had the 6 liter diesel. I think the trip to Weatherford is sounding like a good thing to do, and I am going to check with Toyota engineering. Thanks again for all of your help.
52vicky
eye yi yi...

Dude-you are heading for trouble (disaster?). Don't be blinded by the fact that you just spent a lot of $ on the wrong truck to tow this large a camper.
I am sure it is a fine truck...but it is not up for this job!
One of em' has to go.
A 30' calls for an HD series truck.
I think everyone here has made that clear...

Good luck.

Bill
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52vicky
Thanks to all for your information. The Tundra may be overloaded, but it doesn't feel like it, no strain pulling and no problem stopping. I don't know how Toyota rates the truck 1/2t or 3/4t, but the title says 3/4t. As far as the problem with the bouncing, when I bought the trailer I towed it from Florida with an F350 dually and had the same problem. I made one trip with that same truck and again the same problem. For towing power I don't think I could tell the difference between the two trucks, the 350 had the 6 liter diesel. I think the trip to Weatherford is sounding like a good thing to do, and I am going to check with Toyota engineering. Thanks again for all of your help.
52vicky
I don't know if you've checked it out, but the tundrasolutions.com forum has quite a bit of info regarding real world tow capacity of the new '07 Tundra. I've got one myself and love it, but then again I've got a 19' trailer...

I'm interested to hear your experience after you get someone to look at your rig.

I am assuming that you've got the 5.7l....
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #19
_

. , .
hi vicky

hang in there, the responses might seem like piling on but safety is the goal.

i stopped short of saying the tundra was clearly overmatched...

because i haven't towed with one yet. it reads llke only 1 other person has pulled with the tundra.

most haven't even driven the new tundra yet.

stick to your guns, just get the hitch set up properly.

i look forward to reading your towing experiences with the texas toyota.

you are the canary for this set up.

weatherford is only 170 miles west...

i though texans drove that far for a cold one!

the drawer/slides on these modern classics have issues.

sometimes the runners have to be repositioned at a greater angle.
sometimes FILLING them helps
sometimes a secondary latch is added.
i still have 1-2 that will come open IF not really full or on some really rough roadways.

it's nice you've towed with a 1 ton dually for comparison but that confuses me.

why do you have a 2 inch drop stinger for the haha?
with the 350 a 6 inch drop would be appropriate unless it was 2wd.
i use a 4 inch with the 250 4x4.
that would seem to be right for the tundra 4x4 also.

a straigh bar would put the trailer nose UP i suspect.

go west girl to weatherford.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
I was considering a Hensley Arrow for my 71 International and 2006 F150 with tow package. Fortunately, I'm closer to Weatherford and David seems like the right person to ensure I am going to be safe with my set up. I'd rather know before I purchase the Hensley than after.

Thank you for the advice and for your concerns about safety. I do worry that I won't have enough power/capacity for the International but once I know for sure I can decide whether I'll leave it as my "lake house" and travel with the popup until I find something mid-range.

Thanks again!
Sharon