Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Santa Barbara , California
New Member. Looking for advice on potential purchase

Hi Folks. This is my first post here. I am very familiar with the vintage trailer community, as we are rebuilding a 65 stick and tin trailer right now.

An opportunity came into our laps last week. A 60s vintage Airstream that I have walked by for the last 5 years seems to be up for sale. I spoke to the owner and he suggested a price of $800 to get it out of his yard...not a simple task.

Can anyone give me any information on the possible model from this photo? I'm thinking Globetrotter, but I don't know the exact length. As someone in the middle of a frame up rebuild of a classic travel trailer, what are some things I should look for before committing to this purchase? Floor? Frame?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Just buy it ASAP and get it to your property. If it is not what you want, then you can sell it for a pretty good profit most likely. Almost any Airstream with a decent shell is worth that money. I assume it has windows, door and no huge dents.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Just buy it ASAP and get it to your property. If it is not what you want, then you can sell it for a pretty good profit most likely. Almost any Airstream with a decent shell is worth that money. I assume it has windows, door and no huge dents.
Thanks. I am excited about the price, but I hate the influx of flippers in the vintage trailer scene. I would not buy it to flip, so am hoping for advice on what to look for to prevent a frame off project.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I agree with the difficulty with the Flipper mentality very much, but in this case you are doing the original owner a favor, and the community a favor if you don't want to dive into it yourself. You can find a good person here on the forums to sell it to who would like to do the restoration work, and not let the trailer become a Flipper Special.

You are not obligated to overcharge when you sell.

The floor is probably the most difficult thing. With an ice pick or sharp tool like that, work around the floor on the edges to see if you have any places the pick goes into and through the floor. If there is a lot of it, a frame off is probably what will need to be done.

Look for major dents, and things like missing windows, door condition, and the like. The interior is not too important, but if it is good, and original, it is a huge plus in my opinion. Things like tires, brakes, axels, refrigerator, water heater, furnace, gas tanks, and so on probably will have to be replaced in any event, so I would not be too concerned about them. It is a 50 + year old unit, those things are always in need of replacement.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
I agree with the difficulty with the Flipper mentality very much, but in this case you are doing the original owner a favor, and the community a favor if you don't want to dive into it yourself. You can find a good person here on the forums to sell it to who would like to do the restoration work, and not let the trailer become a Flipper Special.

The floor is probably the most difficult thing. With an ice pick or sharp tool like that, work around the floor on the edges to see if you have any places the pick goes into and through the floor. If there is a lot of it, a frame off is probably what will need to be done.

Look for major dents, and things like missing windows, door condition, and the like. The interior is not too important, but if it is good, and original, it is a huge plus in my opinion. Things like tires, brakes, axels, refrigerator, water heater, furnace, gas tanks, and so on probably will have to be replaced in any event, so I would not be too concerned about them. It is a 50 + year old unit, those things are always in need of replacement.
Thanks. Floor shouldn't be a problem for me if can be replaced from inside. I know belly pans are a problem in other types of vintage trailers, so I worry about this.

I've seen conflicting reports of tow weights with this vintage and length. I'm predicting less that 3k lbs, which my Tacoma can handle?
Quote:

Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If the floor has major rot or issues, it is not easy to replace from the inside. The reason is that it is a structural element in the Airstream. The frame holds up the floor and the shell is bolted to the floor so the wood is the transfer element for the structure. Although small sections of the floor can probably be replaced from the inside, if there are major floor issues in a number of locations, it is best to do a complete shell off replacement from what I understand.

Now, that said, I have never done floor replacement or a shell off restoration, but there are many here who have. There are a lot of threads on the subject too.

A CA trailer has a pretty good chance of having been dry for the majority of it's life, so there is far less possibility of floor issues anyway.

At any rate, I still think you may have located a good unit there, and I certainly would think it probably is well worth the effort to get it out and to a good home, be it yours or another Airstream nut.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Dan, I agree with the comment to buy it, then resell to a person who will restore it if the effort is more than you're willing to undertake. Hopefully, it will be in good enough shape for you to have a nice vintage Airstream.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
New Member. Looking for advice on potential purchase

The biggest issue after the floor would be rodent infestation under the floor. Assuming the floor is still solid, dropping the belly pan would be s good idea to check the tanks, furnace ducts, plumbing, and wiring. These items may very well need replacement, and of course, rodent droppings, nests and skeletal remains should be removed. These concerns speak towards a frame off restoration just from the ease of doing this work. Still, for that price, to get this out of the confinement and into circulation would be a good reason to flip it this time, if it becomes a larger project than you want. You would be justified for recovering your cash outlay as well as something for your effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
Save it! It needs you!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #10

Finally got in to see it today. It's a 22 foot California edition land yacht. Floor was bad, with additional plywood over bad. Too big and too much project for me, as we already have one trailer under way.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
The biggest issue after the floor would be rodent infestation under the floor. Assuming the floor is still solid, dropping the belly pan would be s good idea to check the tanks, furnace ducts, plumbing, and wiring. These items may very well need replacement, and of course, rodent droppings, nests and skeletal remains should be removed. These concerns speak towards a frame off restoration just from the ease of doing this work. Still, for that price, to get this out of the confinement and into circulation would be a good reason to flip it this time, if it becomes a larger project than you want. You would be justified for recovering your cash outlay as well as something for your effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
I am completely new to this world! What would is a ballpark estimate for a shell-off restoration of a 1965 Safari?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
$20K to $30K depending on how carried away you get with the restoration.