Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
The salesman did have a guy take a look at my hitch. I doubt they are experts since neither could decide if I have a class 2 or 3 hitch.
Wow, isn't that scary!
When it comes to towing the trial and error method is a common one and the down side is.... to what degree the error side becomes. Wish I had a better answer for you. Realize that a very small percentage of the rigs on the roads today are connect to their full potential.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Wow, isn't that scary!
When it comes to towing the trial and error method is a common one and the down side is.... to what degree the error side becomes. Wish I had a better answer for you. Realize that a very small percentage of the rigs on the roads today are connect to their full potential.
Well they did measure the inside of the receiver. It is slightly over 2 inches. Not an expert, but when I goggled hitches that does seem to be the class 3 type. I was pleased to see that the hitch receiver is mounted on the jeep frame. I had read warnings of them being stuck on an added cross piece, but when I looked underneath I could easily see the frame and how the receiver was attached.

In the end it is all trial and error. You try what someone recommends and hope that isn't an error!

BTW my dealer left me a message that he had the numbers ready for me for financing. Gotta call him and see the results and talk more setup costs, etc.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Looking a bit better now. The numbers are good. Easy payment plan (early payoff will be my goal, but interest seems reasonable). And got to talk with a real tech person. The guy trying to guess what class receiver I had was just another salesman, it turns out. They agreed to my request to replace their standard Equalizer hitch package with a Reese dual cam wd/anti-sway system for the same price even with 1/2 more labor (really?? half hour to cut 2 holes?). And brake controller is a basic Tekonsha Voyager, which is not the dreaded time delay type. It seems adequate for the job as far as I can tell.

So the Sport is being delivered from a distant sister-dealer to the one close to me so I can inspect it before we firm up a purchase.

Looks like I am on the verge of becoming a Streamer. My sales guy has been very accommodating and instructive. He is my age (which means old) and in the biz for many years. No high pressure, but answers all my questions or finds the answer.

I'm hoping our Spring/Summer-like weather holds up a little longer for my maiden run.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
16 ft sport

Rich, just currently running the Craigs list, and in Anniston Al. a fellow has a 2010 model 16 sport, for just a little over $29,000. Don't know what you are giving for a new one, but might be you could save some money to use some where else.....Just a thought.....the phone number is 256-689-7171. Hope this helps....Good luck.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
Rich, just currently running the Craigs list, and in Anniston Al. a fellow has a 2010 model 16 sport, for just a little over $29,000. Don't know what you are giving for a new one, but might be you could save some money to use some where else.....Just a thought.....the phone number is 256-689-7171. Hope this helps....Good luck.
Thanks. That would save me a little, but not as much as you would think, given the 2 year diffence and old vs new factors. Plus it's quite a ways for inspection, getting financing, etc. And wonderful California would charge me sales tax all over again when I brought it here. Been there, done that.

But I appreciate the heads up. Nice to know Streamers stick together.

BTW my trailer is in at the dealers now. Going to check it out tomorrow a.m.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
checked out the Sport yesterday

Yesterday I did a walk-through (no sale commitment yet) at the dealer, a unit they drove out from another location about 80 miles away, for me to see.

I liked most of what I saw, but when I started to discuss adjustments to the offer they already made me (10% discount off MSRP) the salesguy dug in and changed from the nice helpful guy he had been to the usual car salesman defensive posture. Specifically I wanted to discuss the add-on charges for "prep" ($390) and the "hitch package" ($1000). Purportedly this will include everything I need to get rolling. They did accommodate my request to change the Equalizer hitch for a Reese dual cam,w/600 lbs bars. And the electronic brake control is a Tekonsha Voyager, which seems ok. At least it's not a time delay type.

So I left telling him I wanted to contact other dealers for competitive quotes, which I will do. Needless to say, some of my initial enthusiasm has been dampened a little. But maybe that's a good thing.