Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
New member looking...

We recently sold our 26 foot TrailManor 3023 and are looking for an Airstream. Although my wife isn't necessarily sold on Airstream, I think the exterior will be lower maintenance and the overall quality is high.

New is out of the question, but we haven't agreed on our 'maximum outlay' yet. I'm still trying to get a handle on the overall line and choices for used Airstreams.

One child is off to college in the Fall. Only the youngest is still interested in camping, so we're thinking 'optimal for 2' and 'could sleep 4-5 once in a while'.

We have no experience towing a full size trailer, and assume the name "Airstream" also implies good aerodynamics.

This leads us to look for:
- queen size bed, preferably with access from both sides
- useable shower for limited 'boondocking'
- 26-27 ft maximum length
- GVWR 7-8000 pounds
- up to 10 years old in 'ready to tow/camp' condition

My usual style is to lurk in the background and read as many posts as I can.

Suggestions appreciated.

Dan
dwhilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Welcome and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhilsdorf
New is out of the question, but we haven't agreed on our 'maximum outlay' yet. I'm still trying to get a handle on the overall line and choices for used Airstreams.Suggestions appreciated.
Dan
Hi Dan and family,
Welcome to the forum. How exciting to be searching for an Airstream! This is a great place to learn about all types of Airstreams. I'm not sure if this helps, here are some sites that helped us sell/buy our trailers. You've probably looked under the classifieds tab for trailers advertised here. There's Fred's Airstream Motorhomes, which advertises trailers too, and the Vintage Airstream Classifieds. I think there are other threads that can help too if you use the search button above. We are a family of 3 and love our 28 foot Airstream as it works for state parks and boondocking.
We are on our 2nd Airstream now and love it. Wouldn't switch to another brand. Only advice I'd have would be to make sure you all like the floorplan and are confident of the mechanical condition of the trailer.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. Fred's page will also give you a description of the various floor plans throughout the years as well as the models. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
Thanks for the welcome & input.

So far it looks like Safari/Bambi would fit the bill.

We'll keep looking. The used models sure do appear to sell quickly.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Dan,--I assume, "new is out of the question", is because of financial reasons. Here is something to concider. A good late model Airstream may cost more in terms of monthly payments and interest rates than new. As a general rule used can't be financed as long, thus larger payments, plus the interest rates on used is almost always a few points above new. Couple that with a new vehicle warranty, little to no maintance expence for a few years and a "New" Airstream may not be as far out of reach as you might think.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Dan,--I assume, "new is out of the question", is because of financial reasons. Here is something to concider. A good late model Airstream may cost more in terms of monthly payments and interest rates than new. As a general rule used can't be financed as long, thus larger payments, plus the interest rates on used is almost always a few points above new. Couple that with a new vehicle warranty, little to no maintance expence for a few years and a "New" Airstream may not be as far out of reach as you might think.
Yepper! The man said it ALL! The new 2007's are already out too, so you could find a 2006 at bargain prices. Expect to negotiate 10-15% below list, possibly more for last year's models.

Oh, and my two cents on the Queen sized bed. I have the 25ft FB SE with the transverse queen. It's "walk around" but on the front side, only if you're in ballet's "first position".... heels together, toes pointed straight out. It's easier to make than the full size bed in my 22ft CCD, but not much. Twin beds are much, much easier to make and storage access is easier too. You COULD visit and snuggle , then sleep separate!

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Oh, and my two cents on the Queen sized bed. I have the 25ft FB SE with the transverse queen. It's "walk around" but on the front side, only if you're in ballet's "first position".... heels together, toes pointed straight out. It's easier to make than the full size bed in my 22ft CCD, but not much. Twin beds are much, much easier to make and storage access is easier too. You COULD visit and snuggle , then sleep separate!
Hey Paula -- good to hear you made it thru the hailstorm. We dodged one that hit Minneapolis by mistake 2 weeks ago. Tho't they were supposed to aim for trailer courts...

Airstream doesn't even try to have a fore-and-aft queen until you get up to the 28' length. I've always been a 25-footer fan and have squeezed into so many state park and other public camping slots that I couldn't imagine being 3' longer. But I have disliked the sideways queen for many non-romantic reasons: poor access to overhead storage, poor under-bed storage, my dog would get trapped around the foot of the bed. Now the 2006+ FB twin-bed 25-footer does have exceptional outside storage compartments in front (three! Read 'em and weep -- THREE!!). I really like our choice of the twins but, nudge-nudge wink-wink, the "visit and snuggle" action could stand to be a whole lot easier than the twin choice allows. How's that for TMI?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
I'm already having trouble convincing my bride on Airstream, but I'll have to share this thread with her just for the humor factor

Regarding the 'new out of the question', we don't want to have payments either way.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Safari for sale

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome & input.

So far it looks like Safari/Bambi would fit the bill.

We'll keep looking. The used models sure do appear to sell quickly.
Hi Dan =

I'm a new '67 Safari owner and I love it for our family of four. Just enough room for us to be comfortable! Check in with Creampuff, he's got a 22ft Safari for sale and I think an overlander too. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
I'm already having trouble convincing my bride on Airstream, but I'll have to share this thread with her just for the humor factor

Regarding the 'new out of the question', we don't want to have payments either way.
More "NEW" sales pitch. I thought the same thing and planned to take a couple years to save up enough to trade. A little research showed me that the price increases that occur ever year actually EXCEED the interest I would have paid on the a loan for the same period of time. I felt I couldn't afford to wait. Your turn------pieman

PS---- I'm not a sales person-----honest !!!!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
If you have got the AS bug, your condition is terminal, you will be joining the rest of us souls in AS heaven. That is a good thing...really.

So far it sounds like a queen bed is a need as opposed to a want, if so, the later model 25' FB is probably the smallest AS with that option. Maybe some of the folks with older AS may know of other models of shorter length with a queen. Since a good nights rest is so very important when on the road, narrow down the bed options and go from there to the next most important need on your list.

I am sure the forum can advise you through the whole process.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
My 2 cents

Hi, we have a 25' Classic with twin beds that I converted to a queen by taking out the nightstand and adding 3/4" plywood. The outside storage is great and I believe I couldn't stand less storage. The only drawback is the shower is a bit small. The models with the shower across the hall have more room but it takes away closet space.
We bought new but now that we know about the community we would have done more looking and saved some money. I think your doing the right thing. Keep your eyes open here and something will pop up to your liking.
Good luck and welcome!
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote