Old 06-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
New Member Introduction, Lafayette LA

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself since forum's like this are such wonderful places for sharing ideas, advice & stories among a group of folks so passionate about something, as the Airstream.

My name is Michael, I live in Lafayette, LA and as of April 2015, I am a first-time RVer as well as first-time Airtreamer! I am so excited. I have friends who have RVs, of all sizes, some quite elaborate. I've never been interested, either none seemed that quality was a focus in manufacture, or the systems aboard some seemed so complex, that if you were an electrician, and a plumber, and a welder, gasoline & diesel mechanic, etc. ... then the more elaborate, the better. But I am none of those!

I didn't even consider an RV for over 10 years despite a close friend's frequent "tugging". I knew very little about them, but remembered that Airstream stood out in "this crowd". In February of 2015, I learned that my uncle has an Airstream Flying Cloud. That was it! I went to an RV show; did a walk through, and while having my eye originally on a 20 ft, I ended up with a 25 ft. Flying Cloud and I am BLOWN AWAY - it is AWESOME!!! I could go on & on about the quality, the thought, and the class that goes into the manufacture of Airstreams, but you all know that already.

I just completed my first trip several weeks ago, from Lafayette, LA to Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin, with my 4 scottish terriers to meet fellow scottie friends & RVers for several days of camping & to attend the Door County Scottie Rally. This Airstream has given me the ability to stay in the area longer, not pay high hotel bills with horrendous pet fees, stay in absolute comfort, and be with the friends I love, longer. I'm completely hooked. I have driven only Toyota 4Runners for 20 years now, nothing else. I struggled at first, but when I envisioned the fun that the Airstream would bring to me & my scotties, I dumped my last 4Runner in a heartbeat for a more capable tow vehicle. Hello Airstreamers, very nice to be among you! Greetings!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream_Indiana.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	239969  

Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the Forum and enjoy. It's a great way to travel. Looks like a Lexus in the picture, we towed a 25' with one for a while. Nice vehicle.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Welcome

Kelvin
Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
New Member Introduction, Lafayette LA

Welcome to the Airstream Community!

Congratulations on your new Flying Cloud and enjoying the adventures which await you in many years to come. I find it so very interesting to learn of many fellow Airstreamers whom are also dog lovers. Although I had dreamed of someday owning an Airstream since a young child, I still find myself remembering the experience of bringing ours home just last year like it was yesterday. Reading "new member introductions" most of us enjoying not only your enthusiasm but the wonderful memories incited of our own few days of ownership.

Another forum member, Ray Eklund just posted a very thoughtful post describing his justification process for his purchase which included those of us with canine companions and family. Since our little pup will celebrate her 19 yr. birthday in two weeks, we especially enjoy the comfort of having with us during our travels. As she is blind for nearly two years, our 20' FC provides her living quarters which are certainly safe and comfy.

Be sure to post some pics of your Scotties in the Airstream....although picturing them in my mind also brings a smile to my face!

Kind regards,
FCloud9
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Let me add my own welcome, and tell you that Louisiana has three WBCCI units to choose from, if you're interested. This website has the contact details for all of the Units:
http://wbcci.org/join
I won't bore the whole AirForums with a sales pitch targeted at you, but I will say that for someone who is new to Airstreaming, WBCCI can be a great resource. I certainly found it so when I joined.

AirForums gives you faster access to fellow Airstreamers, but if you need hands-on, face-to-face assistance with your Airstream, being able to pick the brain of a dozen WBCCI members at a rally is hard to beat.

(that "brain" instead of "brains" is not a typo; we may only have one brain between us, and take turns using it. I'm still waiting for my turnů)
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Welcome to the Forum and enjoy. It's a great way to travel. Looks like a Lexus in the picture, we towed a 25' with one for a while. Nice vehicle.
I moved to the GX460 because it could tow 6500 vs. 5000 w/ 4Runner, largely because I didn't think more carefully. A former avid backpacker, I am used to traveling light so I kept my FC at about 6100 lbs; dry wt. 5600. WDH hitch in combo w/ the aerodynamics of the FC/Airstreams, resulted in smooth towing. It was still obvious that the GX460 was towing at it's limits. I have friend in SLC, UT I would like to go see (mountains); was worried about destroying the GX460 over time.

I like to do light off-roading w/ my vehicle as well (forest/jeep roads) and with the Lexus, I was very limited even though it's AWD & body-on-frame construction.

After my Wisconsin trip & return, after towing for 3000 mi, I realized I needed something better-equipped to tow the 25' FC since I definitely see myself using it much more in the future. Switched to a Tundra, now rated to tow 9800 lbs; no more worries! Can focus on enjoying the AS, not stressing out the tow vehicle!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Welcome to the Airstream Community!

Congratulations on your new Flying Cloud and enjoying the adventures which await you in many years to come. I find it so very interesting to learn of many fellow Airstreamers whom are also dog lovers. . . .
Another forum member, Ray Eklund just posted a very thoughtful post describing his justification process for his purchase which included those of us with canine companions and family. Since our little pup will celebrate her 19 yr. birthday in two weeks, we especially enjoy the comfort of having with us during our travels. As she is blind for nearly two years, our 20' FC provides her living quarters which are certainly safe and comfy.

Be sure to post some pics of your Scotties in the Airstream....although picturing them in my mind also brings a smile to my face!

Kind regards,
FCloud9
First off, thank you, FCloud9!! I too, love being in the company of fellow pup lovers!!! Outside of the office, my four scottish terriers encompass much of my whole world! I love taking them everywhere with me - we all love hiking & exploring trails, and now our new FC will allow us to see more fantastic places! Little early Happy Birthday wish to your little pup!!! 19 years! WOW!! I wish my scotties could share life with me for that long!! I've lost so many, long before their time, and only promised each group to do more fun things in the future. This present group, is my first to ever go RVing! They LOVED the Winsconsin trip!! Me too!

I'll try to attach a pic here - took when prepping the FC for the first trip! Took this from the outside, with the kids looking out the window, on the, uh, dinette! Shared many laughs with my friends how this is SO different than home; my pups are never ON the dinner table! They are very well-behaved in that regard, but I did get a couple nose-bumps on my wrist several times while I was eating a sandwich!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PupsinAirstream.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	239987  
Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
MichaelSTR: good switch to the Tundra. We have had numerous tow vehicles, now upped it a bit to a One Ton F350, over kill but as I tell people I got the F350 Diesel only because my wife refused to ride in an F450.

Enjoy.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard! I am from St. Mary Parish ...

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote