Old 09-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Severn , Maryland
New member in MD

Hi.
New member the Northeast. My wife and I once owned a pop-up and sold it before spending some time abroad. I'm hoping to eventually get an Airstream in the next few years. At the moment, I've been eyeballing the International Signature 23fb.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie View Post
Hi.
New member the Northeast. My wife and I once owned a pop-up and sold it before spending some time abroad. I'm hoping to eventually get an Airstream in the next few years. At the moment, I've been eyeballing the International Signature 23fb.
Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you with us.

Of course I don't know your situation but based on my own experience I wish I would have gotten our AS much sooner. There was always something else that seemed to get in the way. IMHO you should go for it if at all possible!

At the big RV show in Hershey, PA this week (9-13 to 9-17) there will be a lot of Airstreams to check out. You are only about 2 hours away!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The Airstream is a bright shiny icon. They generate smiles and do some things extremely well. However, they are still an RV and suffer from the quality issues that auto owners had before the quality improvements made most cars trouble free. Do your research and understand what you are considering. Review the Olivers, the renovated (not flipped) vintage coachs and Kin (alum but not Airstream).

Welcome to the forum. Lots of experience and knowledge here. Take advantage of that info. Use the search function. It's not perfect, but much better than it was a year ago.

In addition to the generic model threads, there are two 23 specific threads. One for the rear bed "D" configuration and one for the front bed "FB" configuration. There is also a good thread on the 20. Many of the issues are appropriate to consider on several models.

When you get closer to committing, go to one of the large dealers with a good inventory. Spend time in several models and figure out how you would live, travel, store your stuff, and sleep in each coach. Then look at some of the older trailers as they have features that are no longer available.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!

Since you are in the planning phase, here's something else to consider: They come up both new and used. One of the "barriers" when shopping used is that the market is pretty "thin". If you have a specific model and year range in mind (as you probably should), they don't come up every day. In some cases the condition is not what you are after. In other cases some guy named Bob seems to think they are worth *lots* of money

Lots of options.

Bob
Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Welcome! We also read the forums for a long time before buying and learned what to look for (and what to avoid) in our AS choice. Enjoy the process and hope that you find your perfect AS soon.

Michael and Leah
Poodle, whippet, and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Severn , Maryland
I'm actually entertaining the idea of doing a factory order, after reading someone's post about getting it built with a coosa subfloor instead of the standard plywood subfloor.

My wife is more set of having a smaller trailer and I'm pretty set on a tandem axel, which makes the 23 the best option. After ogling at different trailers and floorplans online, the 23FB seems like it would be the best fit for us. TV would be my current truck which is a 2016 F150 SCrew 4x4 with 3.5eb and max tow. It's just us and the baby. No older children, nor pets, and no plans for any additional children.

Hans, thanks for the info about the RV show in Hershey. We might try to make it up there for that.

PKI, definitely here to bump up my research resources. I've already found a lot of info from questions others have already asked. This forum is where I read about doing the coosa subfloor. The new 19' Oliver looks nice and has a lot of great features, but only seems to be available with a wet bath. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but we'd both prefer a dry bath.

Bob, I've definitely noticed how sparse the used market can be. My searches have only turned up one used 23FB (it's a 2016) on the east coast, and I think they're want way too much for it. You could literally go to a dealership and just buy new at MSRP for less than what they want and it didn't look like it had anything spectacular added to justify such a steep price on a used 2016. I know it'll cost more doing a special order, but I'll also have more control in the overall package and get exactly what I want. I don't mind doing that because we would be keeping it indefinitely, so I would prefer it to be exactly what we want.

But since we not in any rush, who knows what Airstream will have available in the next couple years... Maybe I won't need to special order one to get composite subfloor by then.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Think you will want at least a 26 u when the baby grows a little. Especially with a sibling if that happens. Trading is expensive
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #8

Severn , Maryland
Drairstream, the won't be any siblings and it's not very likely that going bigger will be an option for us. My wife is pretty set against a big trailer, so the best bet on size is the 23. If anything, we'll reconsider floor plans for what will work best for us in the 23 footer. We'll see what the future holds in regards to available floor plans for the 23. I've been reading through the 23fb thread and taking into consideration owners' opinions about floor plans. Definitely a wealth of information available here.