Old 08-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Belfast , Maine
new member in Maine

I'm new to the forum and rv's. I live in mid-coast Maine. I'm semi-retired and have just started my search for the right Airstream for me (I'll be traveling alone, sometimes with my partner, or with my son and/or daughter both adults). I've learned a lot from exploring this forum. Thank you all for sharing your experience and wisdom. I've looked at one airstream, a 22' Safari 2005 for sale in my area. And although it seems in great shape, I'm sure there are so many things I don't know, that I'm afraid to make the plunge. I'd like the option of living it during summer months in Maine and travel in the winter for a month or so somewhere warm. I'm interested in quiet, less inhabited sites, so probably a lot of dry camping. Any suggestions on what models to consider? Does anyone know where I can see more airstreams in this area either at dealer (no luck googling) or rally?

Thanks for any help you can give. Annie

mainelyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Welcome to the Affliction

Alumanitis is a habit, sometimes to the annoyance of others. Ignore them.
I recommend you read here for a while.
There are tow weights to consider, meaning tow vehicles with hitches and brake controllers.
Airstreams are not cheap, talk is.
I am a Vintage guy because my wife would Kill me if I bought a new one, simple.
There were years of good quality and bad. My '76 had an overlapping panel that directed water to the frame, not good. I still have it, still like it, still not finished. That is ok with me.

I was stopped at the side of the road one day and a fellow stopped to help. He said he would not have stopped but he had to help out an Airstreamer, go figure, I thought it was my looks.

Know yourself, know what you want and pay cash.
People who pay cash are more careful I hear.
I like queen sized beds, big refrigerators and small diesel tow vehicles with equalizer hitches.
Now, you decide; What do you like?
Take your time, you are among friends.

In a small town like mine there are 10 Airstreams I know of, they are everywhere.

"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Freeport , Maine
Depending on where you are in Maine, I have seen at least one trailer that you could get a good look at. Also, depending on size, I know of a pretty little old school AS that is for sale here in NH.

PM me if you like.
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Great info and even better people here!

Hey Annie!
I'm nowhere near the semi-retired age (unless recently unemployed counts ) but having owned my Tradewind for a short period of time I always run here for answers to any and all questions.
Get a notebook and start writing down all your questions and curiousities... I guarantee you'll be able to satisfy 99% of them through this site alone. Take notes. No question too crazy... I assure you, if you've thought of it you're probably not the only one.
Good luck with your shopping! 22' feet sounds like a good size for what you want; we're very comfortable when 2 friends join us for a long weekend (making it 4 adults in our Tradewind).... I suppose it helps when the weather's nice and time is spent outdoors. Oh wait, it rained the entire weekend the 4 of us went but it was still great! We were Airstreaming!!!
Once again, best of luck!
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
sterling , Massachusetts
When ever I buy a big ticket item ?
I allways ask friends....
and or Pros ....

sometimes you can find them
both in one place..........

kelvin sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
Currently Looking...
Belfast , Maine
Thank you all

Thanks so much for your replies and for your welcomes. I love that there is such a sense of community here.

I decided to wait to buy, until I've educated myself more. I will keep a notebook as I continue to explore and learn from this site. I've also enjoyed the blog, longlonghoneymoney. especially their recent visit to the Airstream manufacturing center in Ohio. Any other sites you'd recommend?

Thanks again, Annie
mainelyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado

Take your time and investigate. Your plan to keep notes is great! Before you know it, you will have the Airstream of your dreams. The "hunt" is part of the big adventure.

By the way, you live in one of the most beautiful places in our country.....I have a friend that lives down the road from you and absolutely love coming up to Maine whenever I can.

Good luck with your search.....keep us all posted.
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
Currently Looking...
damariscotta , Maine
i live currently in damariscotta, maine and i, too, am exploring airstreams.. not much of a clue as to where, what, how. any ideas on the best place to begin? there was one for sale in newcastle, but i missed seeing it by one day.. is there any way to find out where the airstreams are for sale in maine? is there a website to look at where they are made and sold in the usa? thanx, kat
katfarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #9

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Welcome, katfarrin. We're glad to have you.

As for finding Airstreams, try our classified site. You can find the tab at the top of any page. You will have to log in again there, but you can use your same username and password.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote