Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
New member in central NY + mattress question

Hi all,
We just got our first Airstream, Sport 22', last month and spent our first weekend at a NJ rally at Jersey Shore Airstream Haven. What a way to start!
Just want to thank all those wonderful people who made us feel so welcome and answered all our first questions. I highly recommend that newbies head to a rally as soon as possible to take advantage of that great pool of experience, it certainly helped us relax and feel welcome in the group.

Question? Our mattress is really important; one night of difficult sleep and my husband's back muscles get tight. Our original Sport 22' mattress is way too hard; I had to keep turning over all night. So we replaced it with a futon mattress of foam & cotton 8" thick. It is much better but could still be a bit softer.

Has anyone else make adjustments to an Airstream mattress?
Thanks,
Robbie

Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Hi and welcome!
We got memory foam mattress toppers for our twins--mine is 2" and BH's is 1 1/2". Really made a difference for us! I have yet to trim them to fit the curve of the mattress underneath, but I'm told it's easy to do with an electric carving knife. I plan to remove and store them over the winter to avoid moisture.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
Thanks Kathy,
Yes guess we need a little more comfort.
Did you get temperpedic or just regular memory foam?
I saw a memory foam queen pad at Aldi for less than $100.
Looks like it can easily be cut and I can resew the cover to fit the Airstream.
Just wondering if there is much difference between different kinds of memory foam; I know temperpedic is super expensive.
Best,
Robbie
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
We've been using our tent camping sleeping pad that we bought at Cabela's. (Deluxe Camp Bed - 48" x 78" x 3") It's a definite improvement and fits perfect in our 16'.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
Thanks Kathy,
Yes guess we need a little more comfort.
Did you get temperpedic or just regular memory foam?
I saw a memory foam queen pad at Aldi for less than $100.
Looks like it can easily be cut and I can resew the cover to fit the Airstream.
Just wondering if there is much difference between different kinds of memory foam; I know temperpedic is super expensive.
Best,
Robbie
rlewis,
I bought an on-sale long twin foam topper at bedbathbeyond with a coupon. They had two thicknesses--one was just over a hundred and the other was close to two. So the one at Aldi sounds reasonable. I know the tempurpedic is much more--maybe 350? But the cheaper version we got makes a huge difference to us. I'd consider getting one for the gaucho if I could figure out where/how to store it.

Best of luck--We're just down the road in Ithaca so stay in touch!
Kathy
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Oh boy, can I relate to the hard mattress story! After a few sleepless nights in our new (well new to us) AS we bought a 3" topper memory foam topper for our queen bed from Costco. Is was on sale for $120. We sleep great now. Good luck!

Kelly
Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Moschelle , Nova Scotia
We did the same thing as "kds" about a month ago. Went to Costco and bought 2" foam toppers for our twin bids in our 27' FB Flying Cloud after spending our first night on the too hard mattresses. We cut the foam to the shape of the twin mattresses (which are shaped to the contour of the trailer) and all is well. We sleep on TempurPedic mattresses at home, so we needed something in the trailer that was at least somewhat reminiscent of home. The foam toppers are a pretty good substitute.

Tom
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter241 View Post
Hi and welcome!
We got memory foam mattress toppers for our twins--mine is 2" and BH's is 1 1/2". Really made a difference for us! I have yet to trim them to fit the curve of the mattress underneath, but I'm told it's easy to do with an electric carving knife. I plan to remove and store them over the winter to avoid moisture.
Good luck and have fun!
Kathy:

We have the 2" memory foam mattress for the queen bed in our Excella. Your comment about "avoid moisture" caught my eye. Have you had problems in the past with the memory foam mattress and moisture???

George

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote