Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Three Lakes , Wisconsin
New member: Hello :)

Hi,

My name is Rena. I'm a new member. I'm planning to purchase an Airstream to park in Texas. It is a bit overwhelming because I don't really know what to look for or what questions to ask sellers when searching on line. I look forward to learning from you all. It's fun to be part of this community.

Thanks! Happy camping!
rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome. There are endless options based on what you want to accomplish. Some might even suggest that if you're not intending on driving your trailer around much (I.e., parking it in TX), an Airstream may not be your best choice.

Can you say more about what you're interested in exploring? Numbers of folks/pets living there or expected to visit? What does it mean to park it in TX (e.g., permanently, 10 months of the year, as a base from which to travel monthly, etc). Are you a fan of cool air conditioned spaces or are you ok with high heat? If you were to tow it, are you experienced with that? Etc - lots of options, just helps to know more what you're interested in. Folks here are very helpful with advice!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Snowbird?

If the purpose of getting an Airstream is to get out of the Wisconsin winter - I'd first search for the place in Texas - Starting with the Airstream Only parks.

It's been my experience that there are always a couple of units for sale in any Airstream Park - simply because people get medical problems or die and the heirs need to sell the unit. Many of these parked Airstreams have canopies over them or even a roof with additional living and storage space. You might be able to buy the membership (which includes the lot) right along with the trailer.

Go with a Google Search for Airstream parks in Texas.

Paula
Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Texas bound

Welcome to the forums, you can find out about anything you want to know about an Airstream if your patience holds out. It sounds like you might be looking toward South Texas / Gulf Coast. There's a big snowbird community down there, not a bad place to be in the winter. Don't hesitate to ask questions, just remember a lot of the answers are only opinions!
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Three Lakes , Wisconsin
New member Hello..now a thank you and more information :)

Hi everyone,

Wow. How very kind of you to respond and with such detailed questions! Thank you so much. Specifically I'm looking at Austin Texas. I live in northern Wisconsin, where I will continue to spend the summer and fall and part of the winter. I am not retired, but I have a flexible position (own a grant development company) so I can work from anywhere. I am actually hoping to obtain some Austin-based clients. I am planning to spend one month of the late winter/early spring next year in an RV of some sort...thinking Airstream mainly because they have so much character of course. There is an RV park outside of Austin that I've stayed at before and it's very nice. I can store my RV there for $100.00/month and make a reservation for bringing it out of storage. I can arrange this through them for $30 to bring it out and set it up and $30 to put it away again. I haven't yet figured out how to transport my Airstream (most likely) to the RV park, but I'm working on that. I noticed there is a possibility through this website. Amazing!

I am alone, no pets. I would have visitors, but probably only one person at at time.

I didn't know there were such things as Airstream only parks. Very cool. I'll check that out for sure.

Thanks again everyone.
Rena
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
There's an Airstream only park in Clear Lake, MN near St Cloud. There are almost always trailers for sale, and lots there also. You could winter in Texas, and summer in Minnesota! The Minnesota park is very nice and they welcome visitors for tours, etc. It will open in mid-April for the summer. Good luck in your search!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Sounds like you have a plan in progress. A good used Airstream will not depreciate as much sitting in storage as much as most other brands. If you are using it in regard to your business it may possibly be deductible. Will your storage be covered or uncovered? Irregardless, be sure and factor in full coverage insurance. As far as moving your trailer, if you buy find one near Austin there is a good chance the previous owner can deliver it for you. If not, there are quite a lot of people in Texas that will pull an RV a short distance.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Three Lakes , Wisconsin
Thanks. I'll definitely check it out!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Good luck rbeyer, I hope your plans work out perfectly! Enjoy your ntu Airstream!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote