Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
South Deerfield , Massachusetts
New Member - have tow vehicle, need AS

What to say? My wife's Uncle had Airstreams and seemed to have good luck with them. Her father had an Avion pickup camper that we later used until we replaced it with a Cayo Class C motorhome. We had the Cayo for about 10 years, but never really used it much. (We did go to Alaska in the Avion once, though.)
I guess I'm getting itchy to go somewhere. I bought the F150 set up for towing. Now I'm starting to look at Airstream 22-25 foot models and thinking that might be just the thing for some traveling.
I bought a Prodigy brake controller this week, and am thinking about where to mount it. I have yet to even go looking for a trailer, but I guess I'll be ready!
Dreams help keep you going!
LostOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Welcome to the forums! From what I've seen on Ebay and the Airstream website classifieds there are a lot of good deals on coaches out there. I tow with an Expedition with the 5.4l engine and it's just fine. Depending on your tow rating you should be just fine as long as you shy away from the later Classics in the length you're talking about.

What year is your F-150? I had both a 97 and now a 2004 Expedition and in both I mounted the brake contoller at the under curve of the dash, to the right of the steering wheel. I had to fabricate a custom bracket out of angle aluminum in the '04 but it was easy. I had to move the diagnoostic socket out of the way.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I almost think I am reading an autobiography. I too bought a F-150 in anticipation of getting an Airstream. The Ford is all wired to accept your Prodigy, I had mine installed in a few minutes. My first Airstream was a 25' Tradewind which the F-150 pulled with no problems. Good luck with your search.