Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Paula and Brad: Thanks for the welcome and the words of encouragment!

When you were brand new at this were you bum-foozled by all the switches and systems, or were they sort of intuitive? When you made your maiden voyage to pick it up, what did you take with you? I know they are all named. Do you christen them with champagne like a sailing vessel, too?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
This is a great place to learn. I ordered my 06 and read as much as I could in all the forums and threads before taking delivery. It has been very helpful.
I went from living in the same house for 17 years to full time in a 31 classic two months ago. My first RV, my first travel trailer. Everything is going well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Don't hit the skin!

If you hit her with a bottle on the skin you will have something to remember for along time. You will dent it.

A little in a glass wouldbe fine of you can put little down the sink and toilet and make the bacteria happy .

Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Thanks Michelle! I think a little in a glass is a good idea! She's got to be named and christened.

We've been reading the forum, and ended up following your story. It was wonderful to see so many people concerned about you and how they helped. What a terrific group of people!

I think what you did was a very brave thing!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Bumfoozled, but in a good way ...

Redoverred: Yes, there is a learning curve but it is very, very fast. We already have made enough rookie mistakes to fill this forum - for example, first trip we locked ourselves out and had to call a locksmith at about 10pm (and pay a $55 'idiot' payment) (NOTE: Never go outside without taking your keys with you! All it takes is for that little lever on the door to have gotten bumped to 'lock') - but we've learned a lot just by doing it. I've had fun just spending some time putzing around/figuring things out when we're camping and its calm and quiet and I can just walk around the unit with a cup of coffee and check this, adjust that, and so on. Funny - on our first trip I was nervous enough about the whole "sewer" thing - but THEN when I went to a dump station for the very first time ever a gigantic motorhome pulled up right behind me - I mean within about 6 feet - so I'm fumbling around trying to do everything right with this husband and wife sitting pretty much right on top of me and peering down watching my every move from the front seats of their RV. I was sweating bullets (Florida heat, mind you) and when the guy put his window down I joked with him "This is the first time I've ever done this, so if I'm doing anything wrong feel free to tell me!" and he just laughed and said "You're doing just fine. I was just going to tell you you're parked pretty close to that palm tree so when you pull out be careful not to swing your rear end around and hit it. Lots of people have hit that tree here." So, it was all good ...

I'm a rambler ... will shut up now. Bottom line - everybody you meet seems to be nice and you'll learn what to do and what not to do really fast.

Brad
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
all that and I never answered your questions ...

1) dealer gave us a very lengthy walkthrough upon delivery - helpful, but way too much to remember all at once and there's still going to be stuff you have to figure out for yourself.

2) we're only an hour from our dealer so we took nothing - but my instructions to them were: "During our walkthrough, go ahead and install my hitch, my brake controller, an Equalizer system - so when I leave there I've got everything I need to go anywhere I want to." Took nothing as far as supplies, etc., b/c we were just picking it up and bringing it home that day.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

New Camper is here!

This thread is very interesting becauce I'm picking up the 28 CCD I ordered in May tomorrow morning. I'm going to set up at a campsite near home and spend a couple days getting aquainted.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Brad: Thanks, that was great! We will for sure remember about the door.
The first 'dump'..had me LOL. It would have had to been a motorhome, wouldn't it?

We are pretty much going across the country to get ours, so we know we're going to be facing a lot of that type of thing. Thanks for the great laugh.

dcbollinger: Hey..congratulations! Please post back and let us know how it all goes and maybe a picture or two?

You guys are the best!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
You are welcome. It has been an adventure. I now own property in Montana but am working in Oregon for the next few months. Who knows after that. Butter Cup gives me flexability that I did not have before.
Good luck with yours and take notes at the Pre-delivery Inspection and checkout.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:54 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
thecatsandi: It sounds to me like you have an excellent situation. Way excellent! Montana and Oregon are both beautiful, with such great people.

Can you do me a favor? Could you just guess-timate what the inside dimensions on the oven are, if you have one? (Or anyone else?)

Also, what kind of pantry does the 31' Classic have?

Thanks,

Lee