Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

1964 22' Safari
atlanta , Texas
New Member From Texas

hello, i recently purchased a 64 safari. when i got it home and cleaned out,(previous owner had used it for junk storage) it looks like i have a very blank canvas. all interior except upper cabinets were rotten. I have a shell with a bad floor and a worn out axle. Exterior looks pretty good. I am $1000 into this. The work doesn't faze me i just wonder did i pay too much. I would appreciate any input. (the positive ones i will share with my wife). I have spent hours reading on here about shelloffs, and am about to tackle it.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by david miller View Post
hello, i recently purchased a 64 safari. when i got it home and cleaned out,(previous owner had used it for junk storage) it looks like i have a very blank canvas. all interior except upper cabinets were rotten. I have a shell with a bad floor and a worn out axle. Exterior looks pretty good. I am $1000 into this. The work doesn't faze me i just wonder did i pay too much. I would appreciate any input. (the positive ones i will share with my wife). I have spent hours reading on here about shelloffs, and am about to tackle it.

Welcome to the forums!

Your experience is quite common--many times, when you buy a vintage trailer that has not had significant work poured into it, you are only buying the shell, most of the rest of it will only be useful as templates.

$1000 for a short 60's vintage trailer, even in Shell-off condition, doesn't sound bad. There are plenty of us who have paid more and still ended up with a complete rebuild.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Good luck with your project, maybe some day we can see some pictures of it before and after.
WBCII #7863
Roadroamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Keep all the "rotted" wood, you will need patterns for curve of wall. Take pictures, many pictures, we took what we thought were a lot of pictures, but not the angle that we needed...to get the information we needed.

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 11-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings from Colorado David. Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. That old trailer is lucky you rescued it and want to bring it back to travel ready condition. These Air Forums contain a wealth of information.

The shell is the most expensive part of an Airstream. My 66 Trade Wind (one size up from yours) was still being used when I bought it. But it needed a lot of work and parts. I paid $5k for it. It is now travel ready, and I thoroughly enjoyed my renovation, but did not do a shell off.

So find some space to work and find some unallocated funds in the bank account and get ready for an enjoyable task. I predict you can recover most of your "investment" when done. Investment is a better word than spending don't you think?

And post some pictures...

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Front.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	274814  
Old 11-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
David,
I'll give you 1500 for it and we can tell the wife it was 1200.
You did well in my opinion, you can have a brand new trailer at a good price doing it yourself. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

1964 22' Safari
atlanta , Texas
thanks

thanks to everyone for their encouraging words. I do plan on putting the trailer back on the road, but am well aware of the time and work it will take. i have 'rescued' several vintage cars over the years and am well acquainted with the challenges of a frame off. However finding an informative site full of helpful people on this forum was a huge stroke of luck.