Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I think your furnace is an Atwood, not the Suburban suggested in one of the prior posts.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Wow, thanks for all the kind welcomes.

Harpo,

It sounds like we made a similar move. I love Texas and will always consider it home but it's just not that great of an outdoor state most of the year unless you enjoy the heat. We ended up in Seattle but also considered Portland.

Frank,

Glad to see a fellow West Seattle member here. We have been here about a year and really enjoy the area. We looked all over town and decided West Seattle was the best fit for us. Nice small town feel but still full of life. We couldn't be happier. My wife travels a lot for work and SeaTac is very convenient.

Also be careful about the "talking Airstreaming" offer. I might talk your ear off once I become more knowlegeable on the subject!

Dan,

Gig Harbor is really beautiful. Been there a few times. The Tides Tavern and & 7 Seas Brewery & Tap Room are a couple of favorites. Yep, I like beer! Everyone complains and about the Viaduct construction issues but so far it hasn't been that big of a deal.

A W Warn,

I think you might be right. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing "Atwood" among all the trailer's paperwork, manuals, guides, etc. I'm going to look into this weekend and try and figure out the problem.

Thanks again everyone for all the warm welcomes. It's also nice to see some local members on the forum. Looks like there is a strong Pacific Northwest following here.

Jim

Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Welcome! And you're just 1 1/2 hours from the border. Beautiful British Columbia is a cool verdant paradise.

What do they say in Texas? Y'all come on over!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Welcome! And you're just 1 1/2 hours from the border. Beautiful British Columbia is a cool verdant paradise.

What do they say in Texas? Y'all come on over!
Yeah, I get looked at funny everytime I say Y'all up here. And I don't really have a heavy Texas accent despite living there for almost 41 years and growing up on a cattle ranch outside of Houston.

We really love the BC area and Alberta. We actually have some friends coming up in July from Texas that are going to rent a RV so we can do a mini caravan trip up Vancouver Island. We were up there a few years ago and loved it. Can't wait to see what that ferry ticket is going to cost! Probably come back through Vancouver.

Another trip we have in mind is heading east from Seattle out through Idaho to Glacier National Park/Waterton and then heading north through Banff and up to Jasper. We've been to Banff and few times and hiked for a week in Glacier. I still think Glacier and Waterton are probably the most beautiful parks I have seen. Plus, the crowds are nothing like some other more popular parks.

Jim
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
You'all to you betcha

Jim, get rid of the you'all and substitute you betcha, get some wool socks to wear with your sandals, become a coffee snob, learn what sun breaks are and never, never carry an umbrella. You'll fit right in, you betcha.

Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Born and bred in the PNW, but traveled and worked all over the U.S., I became a fan of various regional and local accents. Never thought we in the NW had an accent until some old boy we met said, "You're from Washington/Oregon? I asked how he knew. He said, "You all talk through your noses up there."
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Welcome from another PNW native. I would love to take a trip to the San Juans. We were actually planning on doing that this summer until we saw the ferry prices... We would be in the over 50 foot category (long trailer + long van). So now we are going to do a week on the Olympic Peninsula (Not sure where yet - any ideas anyone? Maybe Salt Creek.).

Anyway, enjoy the new experiences.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
Jim, get rid of the you'all and substitute you betcha, get some wool socks to wear with your sandals, become a coffee snob, learn what sun breaks are and never, never carry an umbrella. You'll fit right in, you betcha.

Dan
Me and the wife have adopted all the habits you mentioned although we were already coffee snobs before we got here thanks to Starbucks making its way to us in Dallas in the 90's. However when either my wife or myself let any sounds out of our mouth people automatically ask where we are from. We have found it saves time to start conversations with strangers with an apology for the drawl but we are originally from Texas but are now proud Oregonians. Much to our amazement everyone up here seems to enjoy our accent.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post

Dan
Ha, my wife in a Michigander and slips back into her "Yankee" accent from time to time. Being in the NW isn't helping either. It's coming back more and more.

I'm more a flip flips and cargo shorts kind of guy. Don't see the point in sandals with any kind of sock so I guess I'm safe there. Hate coffee but I am a beer snob! I even kindof enjoy the rain. At least what they call rain up here. It's more like a light sprinkle compared to Texas. Harpo can attest to the HEAVY rain in Texas. Up here we get an inch or so in a couple of weeks. In Texas you can get 3 or 4 inches of rain in an hour. It's so hard you can see past your front bumper with the wipers on warp drive.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Welcome from another PNW native. I would love to take a trip to the San Juans. We were actually planning on doing that this summer until we saw the ferry prices... We would be in the over 50 foot category (long trailer + long van). So now we are going to do a week on the Olympic Peninsula (Not sure where yet - any ideas anyone? Maybe Salt Creek.).

Anyway, enjoy the new experiences.

From what I understand you can get off at as many islands as you want on the ferry trip back. You could go to San Juan first and then on the way back hit Orcas, Lopez, Shaw, etc. The ticket is round trip so that helps a bit. But yes, it's still expensive and something to factor in before hand.

If I'm wrong about the above, someone please chime in. I'm almost possitive that's what the retired ferry captain told me.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Steep ramps

JSE, just be careful on some of the smaller islands. Some of the ramps are steep and I've heard of people getting stuck trying to drive off. Maybe plan around high tide so you can get on and off of the ferry when the tide level makes the ramps less of an issue.

Dan

Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Born and bred in the PNW, but traveled and worked all over the U.S., I became a fan of various regional and local accents. Never thought we in the NW had an accent until some old boy we met said, "You're from Washington/Oregon? I asked how he knew. He said, "You all talk through your noses up there."

I just don't hear much of an accent from anyone up here. But then again, I don't think I have a Texas accent but people clearly hear it in my voice. People ask me all the time where I'm from and when I say Texas, they say that's what they thought. Man, I need to bring my Cajun buddy up here and let people really freak out. I've been around Cajuns all my life and I still can't understand them 90% of the time.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #27

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I worked in south Louisiana for a while and the locals, who I really liked, spoke the "King's English" around me. It was when we hit the bars, and after a few, they slipped into their "Cajun-Speak" that was almost non-understandable, except I'd lived in northern Maine, and I knew the dialect. Crawfish, music and beer, what a neat bunch of people.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #28

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Maybe Salt Creek.).
Pass on Salt Creek, unless they've done some improvements, we could barely get Bess into a (one of the only) larger back-in sites. The views of low tide are incredible there, the pay-for-view campground next door was a pit, maybe it's changed. Lower Oak Bay County Park, south of Port Hadlock, is a nice dry- campground. Get your license, clams are good in June.