Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
New Member from Ottawa

Hi All!

Just joined last week and already posting.. thought I'd introduce myself/ourselves here however.

My wife Kate and are upcoming Airstream owners (final stages of decision making)! Been spending a LOT of time learning a lot from the wealth of info everyone has shared on here. Thanks all!! We've also spent about 16 hours on the road while on vacation last week to vist airstreams up close in person at several dealerships in both eastern US and Canada. We're especially interested in the 75th anniversary model (19ft Bambi) by the way.

We currently have a 4x10ft teardrop which we are very passionate about and have spent a LOT of time camping in, but wanting to camp more with a bit more comfort/luxury.. well an Airstream was the answer (hard to resist). Will be hard to leave the teardrop in the driveway mind you!

Definately an Airstream will allow us to extend our season and be comfortable during foul weather as well as allow us to work while on the road.

I've spent hours and hours reading everyones posts, especially on tow vehicles and safety which I really appreciate.

Glad to see lots of other Canucks on here!

Cheers!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Cool website guys! You won't know what to do with all the room. However you may miss relocating your trailer by hand...don't try that with an AS...
It seems the Canadians are coming...we've had a real influx from the north lately.
I was wondering when I read another post from a CDN about the sales tax thing on TT's. I know normal stuff rings the register at 16% over retail but how about on your trailer purchase?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Cool website guys! You won't know what to do with all the room. However you may miss relocating your trailer by hand...don't try that with an AS...
It seems the Canadians are coming...we've had a real influx from the north lately.
I was wondering when I read another post from a CDN about the sales tax thing on TT's. I know normal stuff rings the register at 16% over retail but how about on your trailer purchase?
Hi Glen,

Yup I won't even try to more the AS!

As far as sales tax goes... we have to first deal with the dollar exchange which isn't bad these days. A $10,000 US purchase is about $12,400 Cdn today. A few years back that would have been $16,500!!! Tax is 14% as of July, prior to that it was %15.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Welcome Dave!

I too have been very impressed with all the knowledge here on these boards - very invaluable!

What are you planning on doing with your beloved teardrop once the Bambi arrives??

Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Welcome Dave and Kate

Great Website - you for sure should be looking in to the Vintage Units - they just have the flavour for down home camping and fun.

Although the new 75th Bambi - is so very much like the combined Caravel/GlobeTrotter of the 67- 69's

Our is pretty much original except for the usual functional replacements and soft goods like curtains and cushions.

If you hunt long enough you can find a nice one in good shape - if you are willing to pay a little extra - but if you are looking at a new Bambi then the higher prices for the better condition Vintage should not phase you.

We are just west of you in South Bay Stoney Lake - a short trip down Hwy 7 or take the back roads near Algoquin Park and then South towards Apsley.

There are a lot of People into Airstreams in the "Eastern" region - but they all belong to one Unit - Ontario Unit - well our membership will lapse with them this year but we are staying with WBCCI. Went to a couple of Rallies and a few other functions - All nice people but their idea of camping is arena tarmak parking lots with 30 amp and satelite dish set up as being the first priorty - the next is food -which is not so bad but the Unit is so big(70+ trailers at each function) that you feel like you are in a "soupline" for every meal - or better yet an organized sports dinner with all the INDOOR round tables......But for many of the older members - that is there thing! and who are we to change it.

What is desparately needed in this neck of the woods would be a new unit with either vintage units or leave it open for the "currently looking" members as well as those with new Airstreams that have a passion for the history of their camper.

Anyway if you are looking to check out some vintage units we have two - one is under repair and smells as vintage as she looks and the other just a few more little touches we want to do - she is going up on the market possibly this summer - but not 100% sure yet. Toying between the 26' Overlander and the 21'GlobeTrotter and which one will be the keeper - we love the layout of the GlobeTrotter and the open roomy dinette - bathroom a little small and to hang out in it for a month with 2 big dogs can get a bit much. She is light and easy to tow into small places. The Overlander is 8 years older and has a real vintage look to her that caught our eye. It is thinner, easy to see when trailering, but the windows are small and low giving a little bit of a closed in feel to it. The couch system although missing in this trailer is just not our cup of tea - much rather make couches that double as beds and also seats for a dinette table - gives you lots of room should bad weather hit the weekend and you retire to an afternoon of cards and .

Happy looking! (You can see pics of both in the member photo section GT6921)
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Welcome Dave!

I too have been very impressed with all the knowledge here on these boards - very invaluable!

What are you planning on doing with your beloved teardrop once the Bambi arrives??

Michelle
I could never part with our teardrop (at least at this time)... we'll probably use it for short 2 day trips. Its been a blast!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Welcome Dave from a recently new member also from Orleans !

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Yes it's nice to hear from my airstreamers in Canada. It doesn't matter where you live, these trailers are so unique!!!It doesn't matter which campground you visit these trailes are talked about!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Is that part of the fun? The travelling around with the Airstreams, people waving at you on the road?

Sounds like it would be a hoot!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Macfrodge,

I see that the Ontario Unit of WBCCCI has a fall Rally in Almonte which might be fun to join. See http://www.ontarioairstream.org/

I've been checking on storage in the Ottawa Valley. I'm mostly interested in indoor storage for the Winter. How about yourself? I'll post some info on this shortly. So far only Echo Farm Storage seems to offer indoor storage for RV's at this point.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzelle
Welcome Dave from a recently new member also from Orleans !
Hey John, did you get your AS from RV Canada? Welcome neighbour!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
I've been wondering about storage myself. My in-laws live in the sticks (between Smiths Falls and Carleton Place) and have a huge 5th wheel. I don't think they'd have a problem with us storing anything there, but I wouldn't mind looking at something a little closer - much like that Echo Farm storage. Would be OK for me (I'm in Ottawa, near Mooney's Bay/Riverside) but that's kind of southwest out of town for the Orleans folks -

What about Primo? It's still in the west end, Moodie Dr.

http://www.primoselfstorage.com/boat.shtml

Don't know anything about them though.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Hi Dave
Yes I did,but you have to be carefull with them as their asking price is ABOVE retail by a fair bit. Best thing to do is to go to the Airstream website, go to the dealer links where you will find dealer inventory complete with the actual window stickers listing all options and retail price.
Figure about a 30% markup built into this price and go from there. In my case I beat them over the head with quotes from some American dealers and ended up buying it at 15% below list- some $20,000 less than their starting asking price. Good luck in your search.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Well for winter storage Echo Farm is close enough... although they have limited indoor space.

Looks like Primo is only outdoors. There is a place here in Orleans that also has outdoor storage. Thats not going to be a problem if you don't mind outside as there are several places. I'd worry about those once in a blue moon hail storms though
Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Hi Camp ADK I told you I'd see you here.
Asianflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianflava
Hi Camp ADK I told you I'd see you here.
LOL.. small world huh? I have just TOOO many interests these days.. so many forums.. so little time
Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Hey Camp ADK!

Welcome to the group Dave.
I'm from just on the western outskirts of Ottawa (Dunrobin).
We share a passion for canoe camping in Algonquin park. I've loved every lake we paddled...although I recall a hike around some lake called .... bBack fly lake.... that wan't so fun.

My wife and I are avid canoe/hiking campers that have just purchased a vintage AS (69 Caravel) as a means of getting our two younger children to enjoy the camping experience early on. My hope is to use the Caravel as a base camp and do some overnight tent trips - to sow the seeds of adventure.

The pressure is on though. I've had the trailer since last fall and our "planned" first AS vacation is in one week. I've been slowly tackling things like frame rot, floor rot, ants, etc. I've jsut about finished putting the new laminate floor in and then I've got to return the shower/bath and beds.

Finally, I've got to buy a tow vehicle....I've been watching the used market for a GMC Safari. I had hoped that my Hyundai Tucson would be adequate but the feedback from the forum is that I'll need something a little bigger.

I hope find your trailer soon.

Enjoy the summer.

Julison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our caravel.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	23754  
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi John,

We we're pretty up on things.. and checked with 3 US dealers, visited two in person. Paid 20% under MRSP which matched what it would have cost buying in the US.

We won't have it till end of September so will probably take it directly into storage

Won't be using it this year I suspect since we don't really have to right tow vehicle.. yet.

Here is one happy camper to add to the list of new AS owners, signing our lives away last week at the dealer (Dave Winick 75th Anniversary 19ft Bambi, not the one in the background)....

View of trailer from our visit to RV Legends in CT...

Old 07-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Julison!

Excellent on the 69 Caravel! You're a lot more of a handy type than me! I'm better with a keyboard than with tools of any sorts.

Well if you love paddling in Algonquin, you should check out Fish Creek Pond/Rollins Pond State Park in upstate NY (3 hours from Orleans, about the same or a bit longer from Dun Robin). Some of the finest camping here in the east and one of the most extensive canoeing areas as well. Lots of excellent canoe in camping too on Upper Saranac Lake and Middle Saranac as well. If you interested in knowing more, let me know. I have lots of photos as well.

I agree on the tow vehicle issue. I'm certainly looking for a V8 something or other... considering a Envoy/Trailbazer, Tahoe or <fill in the blank>. We'll have all winter to get to that one. Trying to stay away from monster trucks and the like.

Do you know about the Rally in Almonte September 1-4? See http://www.ontarioairstream.org/ and click on Events.