Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Hi Camp ADK I told you I'd see you here.

Asianflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Originally Posted by Asianflava
Hi Camp ADK I told you I'd see you here.
LOL.. small world huh? I have just TOOO many interests these days.. so many forums.. so little time

campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Hey Camp ADK!

Welcome to the group Dave.
I'm from just on the western outskirts of Ottawa (Dunrobin).
We share a passion for canoe camping in Algonquin park. I've loved every lake we paddled...although I recall a hike around some lake called .... bBack fly lake.... that wan't so fun.

My wife and I are avid canoe/hiking campers that have just purchased a vintage AS (69 Caravel) as a means of getting our two younger children to enjoy the camping experience early on. My hope is to use the Caravel as a base camp and do some overnight tent trips - to sow the seeds of adventure.

The pressure is on though. I've had the trailer since last fall and our "planned" first AS vacation is in one week. I've been slowly tackling things like frame rot, floor rot, ants, etc. I've jsut about finished putting the new laminate floor in and then I've got to return the shower/bath and beds.

Finally, I've got to buy a tow vehicle....I've been watching the used market for a GMC Safari. I had hoped that my Hyundai Tucson would be adequate but the feedback from the forum is that I'll need something a little bigger.

I hope find your trailer soon.

Enjoy the summer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our caravel.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	23754  
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi John,

We we're pretty up on things.. and checked with 3 US dealers, visited two in person. Paid 20% under MRSP which matched what it would have cost buying in the US.

We won't have it till end of September so will probably take it directly into storage

Won't be using it this year I suspect since we don't really have to right tow vehicle.. yet.

Here is one happy camper to add to the list of new AS owners, signing our lives away last week at the dealer (Dave Winick 75th Anniversary 19ft Bambi, not the one in the background)....

View of trailer from our visit to RV Legends in CT...

Old 07-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Julison!

Excellent on the 69 Caravel! You're a lot more of a handy type than me! I'm better with a keyboard than with tools of any sorts.

Well if you love paddling in Algonquin, you should check out Fish Creek Pond/Rollins Pond State Park in upstate NY (3 hours from Orleans, about the same or a bit longer from Dun Robin). Some of the finest camping here in the east and one of the most extensive canoeing areas as well. Lots of excellent canoe in camping too on Upper Saranac Lake and Middle Saranac as well. If you interested in knowing more, let me know. I have lots of photos as well.

I agree on the tow vehicle issue. I'm certainly looking for a V8 something or other... considering a Envoy/Trailbazer, Tahoe or <fill in the blank>. We'll have all winter to get to that one. Trying to stay away from monster trucks and the like.

Do you know about the Rally in Almonte September 1-4? See and click on Events.