Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
New Member from Montana...want my 1st Airstream

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Valerie and my husband is Scott. We don't own an AS yet, but we're sure lookin'. My husband and I are not new to RV'ing, having owned a 2001 Safari Trek MH, but we've never owned a TT. Back in 2003 we made an offer on a newer AS (safari I think) 22', which was for sale on one of the lots in Travelland in Orange County, CA. They turned down our offer and we ended-up moving to Montana. The dream of owning an AS was put on hold. Fast-forward to this past weekend when we happened upon "sisters on the fly" in the cabela's parking lot in Billings. They had two compact canned-hams on display, and after taking a peek inside we were both ready to purchase our own. We started searching the TCT classifieds for 12' trailers. It wasn't long before our search put us right back where we belonged...wanting an AS of course!

We can't really afford anything new, and so were really hoping to find one in need of some TLC; thinking this would be more affordable (in the short-term). I don't know how long we're gonna have to wait, but I'm doing what I can in the mean time to learn everything necessary, so that when the right one hits the market I'll be able to take the plundge without fear of making a mistake.

I want something under 20' and he wants a toilet! I found an expensive cruisette online, but my husband says it would be too much work to add plumbing/toilet. I did a little bit of research on this and determined he was probably right (darn-it). That leaves us with Bambi, Pacer, Caravel, and Globe Trotter if I'm not mistaken. If any of you feel otherwise, please let me know.

We are both software engineers, and my husband also builds rocking chairs (check out his woodworking skills: Custom Rocking Chairs by Scott Morrison inspired by Sam Maloof). My husband is more than capable of doing the interior woodwork, and with our 3D modeling tools, we can design/engineer anything. We aren't aware of all of the pitfalls, and so while we search for our own trailer, we'll be studying up on the do's and don'ts and what to expect type-stuff. I hope by doing this we'll be able to make an informed decision.

Anyway, thanks for reading, hope to hear any tips or advice y'all might have.
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Val thanks for the pm good luck and we will be looking around here. Google earth can help a lot try it by looking at storage lots then once you do this a few times as get easy to spot and it's not trespassing!!!! I now have no problem finding them next is a drive by and then calling.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Thanks for your support Cliff, you've helped immensely. I'm having fun researching and learning for now, but I'm so excited to own my very own AS. Of course as I read everyones introductions I see that it'll be months, or possibly years before I find one. I just hope I get lucky as I'd really like to camp (sans tent) by this spring/summer.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
While I'm certainly no infidel, have you thought of alternative brands?

Having owned a Casita trailer (17 ft), it comes at a price point that will allow you to enjoy the great out of doors sooner, rather than later. And there are other fiberglass brands to look for, but the Casita line is probably the choice of most.

You can get into a late model (2009 and newer) for 15k, give or take.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
As luck would have it you have picked some sweet vintage models....Caravel, Globetrotter. In decent condition, these will go fast so you will have to be quick! We decided on a '54 Flying Cloud but are bringing it back together piece by piece...very expensive and super time consuming. I second Murreywalker's post on a Casita as it will get you outdoors and on the road quickly, but there's is nothing like an Airstream.

If you need help in doing a few things, you'll find all you need here on Forums. There is also the www.vintagetraileracademy.com, an annual event, where you can learn and DIY.

Welcome to the Forums and I hope to hear good news about your new Airstream soon! Caution: They are addictive and we are a fun loving bunch!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
i think murrey is right. a casita or other fiberglass trailer will be easier to find, and it will give you a start. but i speak from experience that if your heart is set on an airstream, you will find sooner than later that you will be looking with longing at airstreams and searching for the right one.

if you were willing to expand your size just a little to under 23 feet you will have more to chose from. the older the airstream, the lighter they are. the late 50's/early 60's models that are 22 feet long are not that hard to find. i have a 1957 flying cloud that is 22 feet long. when i bought it in 2011 it had been sitting for decades . my friends and family thought i was crazy when i sold my perfect little canned ham with birch interior for a big mouse house. when i bought the cloud, i didn't have a big enough tow vehicle so i had to buy a new rig!

after the restoration, i have an awesome trailer that is perfect for my family. i kept the original floor plan- side bath with twin beds in an "L" shape. it has a full bathroom with shower, but i opted for a lug a loo over a flush toilet. i didn't want to deal with adding a black water tank.( my trailer was a park model so no holding tanks) i carry a blue boy with me for grey water.

a 22 foot can still fit in most national park campgrounds which was essential for me. dry weight for my trailer is less than 3000 pounds.

now that we have camped in it for a couple of seasons, i have a better sense of what i like. if you have a chance to go to a rally or visit a dealer you can look at several different interior models to visualize what you might want. craigslist is filled with trailers ( mostly longer models) bought by well meaning folks who gutted them and then discovered that they didn't have the skill or lost interest.

if you can travel to buy, oregon, washington and idaho seem to have a plentiful supply of trailers for sale.

good luck!
chris
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Don't rush into anything. Take your time, and the right trailer will eventually be found. Take your time. Do your homework, and it will pay off in the end.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
On an ironic note, we purchased our 2007 19' Bambi SE in Columbus, MT in 2009 from a couple there. Bretz RV out of Missoula is an AS dealer, and they have purchased Tour America RV in Billings, which handles AS as well.
Hope all goes well in your search, and welcome to the best source of information on Airstreams.

Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
murreywalker: Thanks for your suggestion. I knew about the scamps, but never heard of the Casitas. I took a look at some of the for sale ones, and they do seem like a fair alternative. I'm going to show my husband some of these.

SilverPal: Thanks for the heads up on cost and time for restoring/repairing. I'm definetly thinking something camp-ready-ish would be better, with thoughts on a little remodeling/tlc. Good luck with your Flying Cloud...how long till it's ready?

cbcnm: I do think we're set on an airstream, or at least might soon be wishing we had one if we purchased something else. That's my thought anyway. I think your idea of expanding the size is a better possibility. I know my husband really wants a larger one. And if I get my way starting with a smaller one, they there is always the chance we'll end-up with a bigger one in the end. So this is a way to solve both problems: keeping with an AS and finding one sooner.

Moosetag: you bring up an important point, one that I'm going to live by. I just spent 1 year looking for just the right subaru outback. I found the perfect one for me, and it was an old 1999; I know I can take my time and that in the end I will have exactly what I want...I just am so excited, and I don't even know why?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
On an ironic note, we purchased our 2007 19' Bambi SE in Columbus, MT in 2009 from a couple there. Bretz RV out of Missoula is an AS dealer, and they have purchased Tour America RV in Billings, which handles AS as well.
Hope all goes well in your search, and welcome to the best source of information on Airstreams.

Greg
LFM, did you by chance purchase that bambi off of Countryman Creek Rd in Columbus? My husband and I live about half a mile from a home that used to have one on their land. Then one day it was gone. We drooled over that AS for years!! Anyway, thought it'd be a cool coincidence if you had.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by valorama View Post
LFM, did you by chance purchase that bambi off of Countryman Creek Rd in Columbus? My husband and I live about half a mile from a home that used to have one on their land. Then one day it was gone. We drooled over that AS for years!! Anyway, thought it'd be a cool coincidence if you had.
Not sure, it was just west of town within a mile, across from an earth home in a nice subdivision. And I think now it was actually Feb of 2010 that we picked it up.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Wow, those are some beautiful chairs!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
If your heart is set on an Airstream, nothing else is going to satisfy. I would highly recommend that before you buy one, you ask an experieced Airstreamer to look it over. You can find someone in your area on the forum that would be glad to help you out, or the local unit of WBCCI can help you. If you don't know about WBCCI, check out their web page - it is the greatest club ever.
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
My heart was set on an A/S until I watched the long long honeymoon on youtube. I saw the 'Vinnies Repair' where their 25 foot classic had a leak. I then researched and asked questions and found lots and lots of issues with leaks.

Darn - I had my heart set in a 27'classic but my head said better to look at and not own. They all will leak in unsuspecting places and before you know it the floor is ruined.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Tuffr houses will leak cars will break down and dogs age faster then we do so why not have some fun while you can and before the gov taxes it or makes it illegal. The 66 caravel lasted more than 40 years befor floor rot!
Cliff
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
You may want to consider an older Avion. It will have a heavier frame and the floor can be repaired without removing the shell. You usually can find them cheaper than an Airstream. If you husband has good mechanical skills, which it appears that he has, refurbishing an old Avion, while you can afford it as you go may be a good option.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Wow, those are some beautiful chairs!

Thanks Wayne&Sam, very nice of you to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peapod 1776 View Post
If your heart is set on an Airstream, nothing else is going to satisfy. I would highly recommend that before you buy one, you ask an experieced Airstreamer to look it over. You can find someone in your area on the forum that would be glad to help you out, or the local unit of WBCCI can help you. If you don't know about WBCCI, check out their web page - it is the greatest club ever.

A great idea. I just googled "Montana Airstreams" and found we have a local club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My heart was set on an A/S until I watched the long long honeymoon on youtube. I saw the 'Vinnies Repair' where their 25 foot classic had a leak. I then researched and asked questions and found lots and lots of issues with leaks
Thanks for the feedback tuffr2. I certainly like to be armed with informtion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
You may want to consider an older Avion. It will have a heavier frame and the floor can be repaired without removing the shell. You usually can find them cheaper than an Airstream. If you husband has good mechanical skills, which it appears that he has, refurbishing an old Avion, while you can afford it as you go may be a good option.
Thanks M2HB, another option is always a good thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Greetings, Valorama! While I'm new to AS I still have lots of experience with I *want* feelings <geesh--don't we all!?!)

I say that if you keep getting whiplash with every AS that goes by on the highway, if you peer curiously anything silver and shiny behind a house or fence to see if it's an AS back there, if you find your eyes lingering on AS photos for an indecent length of time.....then you probably will feel like you are "settling" if you don't get an AS and won't feel fully happy until you do.

There are all the rational arguments that make all the sense in the world and then there's that nagging emotional *I want* that just won't go away. Examine your heart carefully and everyone in the family too.....
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
Greetings, Valorama! While I'm new to AS I still have lots of experience with I *want* feelings <geesh--don't we all!?!)

I say that if you keep getting whiplash with every AS that goes by on the highway, if you peer curiously anything silver and shiny behind a house or fence to see if it's an AS back there, if you find your eyes lingering on AS photos for an indecent length of time.....then you probably will feel like you are "settling" if you don't get an AS and won't feel fully happy until you do.

There are all the rational arguments that make all the sense in the world and then there's that nagging emotional *I want* that just won't go away. Examine your heart carefully and everyone in the family too.....
Thanks aireseneca, well said.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Great news everyone. I have a lead on a Caravel from a great member here on the forums. The plan is to go check-it out next weekend, and hopefully leave with it.

Keep your fingers-crossed!

P.S. I also spoke with a member of the Montana Airstream Club and will joining them next Friday for the 1st event of the season, not 45 miles from my house. Can't wait!!