Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Tuffr houses will leak cars will break down and dogs age faster then we do so why not have some fun while you can and before the gov taxes it or makes it illegal. The 66 caravel lasted more than 40 years befor floor rot!
Cliff

Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
You may want to consider an older Avion. It will have a heavier frame and the floor can be repaired without removing the shell. You usually can find them cheaper than an Airstream. If you husband has good mechanical skills, which it appears that he has, refurbishing an old Avion, while you can afford it as you go may be a good option.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Wow, those are some beautiful chairs!

Thanks Wayne&Sam, very nice of you to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peapod 1776 View Post
If your heart is set on an Airstream, nothing else is going to satisfy. I would highly recommend that before you buy one, you ask an experieced Airstreamer to look it over. You can find someone in your area on the forum that would be glad to help you out, or the local unit of WBCCI can help you. If you don't know about WBCCI, check out their web page - it is the greatest club ever.

A great idea. I just googled "Montana Airstreams" and found we have a local club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My heart was set on an A/S until I watched the long long honeymoon on youtube. I saw the 'Vinnies Repair' where their 25 foot classic had a leak. I then researched and asked questions and found lots and lots of issues with leaks
Thanks for the feedback tuffr2. I certainly like to be armed with informtion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
You may want to consider an older Avion. It will have a heavier frame and the floor can be repaired without removing the shell. You usually can find them cheaper than an Airstream. If you husband has good mechanical skills, which it appears that he has, refurbishing an old Avion, while you can afford it as you go may be a good option.
Thanks M2HB, another option is always a good thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Greetings, Valorama! While I'm new to AS I still have lots of experience with I *want* feelings <geesh--don't we all!?!)

I say that if you keep getting whiplash with every AS that goes by on the highway, if you peer curiously anything silver and shiny behind a house or fence to see if it's an AS back there, if you find your eyes lingering on AS photos for an indecent length of time.....then you probably will feel like you are "settling" if you don't get an AS and won't feel fully happy until you do.

There are all the rational arguments that make all the sense in the world and then there's that nagging emotional *I want* that just won't go away. Examine your heart carefully and everyone in the family too.....
Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
Greetings, Valorama! While I'm new to AS I still have lots of experience with I *want* feelings <geesh--don't we all!?!)

I say that if you keep getting whiplash with every AS that goes by on the highway, if you peer curiously anything silver and shiny behind a house or fence to see if it's an AS back there, if you find your eyes lingering on AS photos for an indecent length of time.....then you probably will feel like you are "settling" if you don't get an AS and won't feel fully happy until you do.

There are all the rational arguments that make all the sense in the world and then there's that nagging emotional *I want* that just won't go away. Examine your heart carefully and everyone in the family too.....
Thanks aireseneca, well said.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Great news everyone. I have a lead on a Caravel from a great member here on the forums. The plan is to go check-it out next weekend, and hopefully leave with it.

Keep your fingers-crossed!

P.S. I also spoke with a member of the Montana Airstream Club and will joining them next Friday for the 1st event of the season, not 45 miles from my house. Can't wait!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I *want* my Excell to be here! It's currently getting a few minor tweaks post-purchase at P&S in Helena, OH. But meanwhile, I can't be sure when it will be done and ready for a first outing.

What a great time you will have with a bunch of AS enthusiasts! In a couple of weeks, I'm going to a lunch where some Akron 'streamers meet and talk. I'll be all ears!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay fingers are crossed and we will be expecting pictures!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Thanks RM66.

If all goes well I'll be able to end this thread, and start a new one featuring our new Caravel. I'm pretty excited to see it in person. We'll be there Saturday afternoon, CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Good luck with the search, and belated welcome! The classifieds here, and at a few other Airstream sites are good places to look, as are some of the local Airstream club units.. Just wanted to point out that the market for clean used Airstreams is close to a national market by now, and folks from far way might be competing with you for local trailers, or you might need to look further away.. Too small is modestly better than too large, but there are really 3 dimensions to sort through: Size, condition and price.. Small ones are actually more expensive due to fact that they are easier to tow and more people have tow vehicles that will work. Fixer-uppers are often over-priced compared to camp-worthy units, given the $$ thousands you can spend if flooring, frame, tanks, interior and plumbing/wiring/appliances need to be replaced.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Billings , Montana
Welcome

Hi valorama, we live in billings and own an airstream. Sure hope you find your airstream.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Good luck with the search, and belated welcome! The classifieds here, and at a few other Airstream sites are good places to look, as are some of the local Airstream club units.. Just wanted to point out that the market for clean used Airstreams is close to a national market by now, and folks from far way might be competing with you for local trailers, or you might need to look further away.. Too small is modestly better than too large, but there are really 3 dimensions to sort through: Size, condition and price.. Small ones are actually more expensive due to fact that they are easier to tow and more people have tow vehicles that will work. Fixer-uppers are often over-priced compared to camp-worthy units, given the $$ thousands you can spend if flooring, frame, tanks, interior and plumbing/wiring/appliances need to be replaced.
Thanks Condoluminum. This one is a 71 and from what I've seen of it is as clean as they come. I will verify this in person on Saturday. I really wanted a 68, but I can't pass this one up. I'm sure I will love it (I already do) and owning it will free me up to take my time looking for a 68 to restore. If that's still a desire I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcats2 View Post
Hi valorama, we live in billings and own an airstream. Sure hope you find your airstream.

Travelcats, thanks for the welcome. Do you camp locally? We'll be taking our Caravel to West Rosebud, and other local campgrounds. Did you join Montana Airstreamers Club?