Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
New member from Arizona

Greetings from the Southwest desert. Getting near retirement and looking at Airstreams. Looking in the 2000-2010 year range and 19 to 24 foot range. Will be towing with a F350 diesel SRW CC. Don't want to spend for new in case it turns out not to be our cup of tea, and don't want too much of a fix up, thus the 2000 to 2010 model years.
There are just two of us and we are not planning any really long trips so I think we can get by with a 19-24 footer, plus it will fit in our garage (after getting rid of a lot of stuff!) which is 35W X 26D with a 20 X 10 door. For now it will have to sit in storage until actual retirement allows me to sell off business equipment, but there is a storage facility very close to us.

So far I am noticing the years I want are scarce. It also seems they are more expensive than when I was looking last year, before I was really serious

Question: Are the NADA prices accurate? Several I have looked at are priced double or more than what NADA shows.

Another Question, Will a Bambi 19 measure 19 feet from ball to bumper, or is the 19 feet just the actual box?

It looks like if I want a nice one at a good price I will have to be ready to travel on a moments notice.

Thanks for any and all advice.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Hello and welcome to the forums! Great to have you with us! Not sure about Nada pricing, but stick around here and look at lots of trailers and you'll get a good feel for what is priced right. We looked for 4 years before finding our rig on rv.com . Measurements are ball to bumper. Have fun searching!
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
Hello and welcome to the forums! Great to have you with us! Not sure about Nada pricing, but stick around here and look at lots of trailers and you'll get a good feel for what is priced right. We looked for 4 years before finding our rig on rv.com . Measurements are ball to bumper. Have fun searching!
That should have been r v t dot com
Poodle and two cats!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Well howdy Tucson neighbor! I watched craigslist for a couple of years and I saw all those AS trailers for sale at double the book value too. I even went and looked at a few. Eventually we found 'our' perfect AS and the price was spot on on the NADA book, and the trailer was in excellent condition.
Be patient, go see some, and yup you might need to be ready for a quick trip to southern California or New Mexico.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome from another AZ Streamer.

Please feel free to join the 4CU Unit or the Arizona Unit at some gatherings. It gives you a great opportunity to meet fellow streamers and talk and see what size trailers they have.

As mentioned all Airstreams are ball to bumper and you very seldom hear anyone say they wished they had gone smaller. But in contrast many people wish they had purchased 3 more feet.

Nada is good for something in some industry but not really an accurate reflection of prices. Look up your own cars on Nada and it makes you go hmmmm.

Look here, a lot, to see what the listings are and some folks may tell you what the price is that they settled on.

You can even put an add in for what you are looking for and someone might be prompted to list theirs.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 AM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I agree with the comments regarding becoming familiar with the asking prices. For us, we just keep looking at what was available and finally found ours. It was actually listed in the classified ads on this forum. But if you find something you think you might want don't hesitate to investigate. By the time I called I was the third in line and fortunately (for us) the other two deals fell through.

We got a 2009 International FB Twin.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
We have decided to rent a travel trailer this July for one week to see how we will like it. No Airstream rentals around here so we will rent either a Shasta Oasis 21' 9" or if we rent from Lazydays they have 2017 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite trailers, 29' We will stay in Northern New Mexico.

Since the ultimate goal will be an Airstream we wanted to rent something comparable in size to the 19-25 foot Airstreams which is the size we are looking at, so the Shasta might be the one. Hate to rent the 29 foot Wildwood then be disappointed with a shorter Airstream.

We could get a bigger Airstream but once we exceed 26 feet the option of keeping it in the garage, or even on our property someday is off the table. I am not opposed to storing it at a facility and in fact whatever we buy will have to be stored elsewhere for at least a year or two anyway.

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Welcome! I believe Airstream2Go has an outlet in Las Vegas. Trying out another trailer will tell you if you like trailering, but you really need to rent an Airstream to evaluate if you would like owning one. AS's tow better and the quality of the experience with an AS can't be evaluated with your current plan. In any case, good to have you with us and hope you find your perfect trailer!
Poodle and two cats!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
Welcome! I believe Airstream2Go has an outlet in Las Vegas. Trying out another trailer will tell you if you like trailering, but you really need to rent an Airstream to evaluate if you would like owning one. AS's tow better and the quality of the experience with an AS can't be evaluated with your current plan. In any case, good to have you with us and hope you find your perfect trailer!
You are right it would be great to rent an Airstream but I am still working and with only a week it would be tough to drive 7 hours to Las Vegas, pick up the Airstream then drive 10 hours to our destination and do it all again at the end. It would only leave us 3 days of actual camping. Maybe if this goes well we will arrange for an Airstream next year with more time off. I run my own business and it's hard to get away especially with the construction up tick we are seeing.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Retro RV in PHX rents several Vintage Airstreams for a very reasonable rate. John Abbot owns the small business.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #11
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Retro RV in PHX rents several Vintage Airstreams for a very reasonable rate. John Abbot owns the small business.
Thanks, I called them today, they have three. Newest is a 1973 Safari. Not sure if the pickup time will work though.