Old 03-24-2018, 04:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
New Member: First time RVer and going all out

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally joining to post but I have been reading this forum for over 6 months now to prepare myself for my Airstream investment. My husband and I purchased a 2018 27 Flying Cloud, which we received in January with the intent of going 100% full time while I work at various hospitals as a traveling histology lab technician. We traveled from Illinois to Montana for my first job, starting out our experience in some pretty cold temps (with a few extra rough nights dipping below 0).

I have zero handy experience as I never owned a home and rented apartments before, luckily my husband is pretty handy but I also worry way more than him. So grateful that there is such a helpful and knowledgeable community, hopefully one day I will also be able to help others, although it's amazing how far we've come in just a few months!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum!

Life is a learning experience and just add your AS to the mix.

Wishing you happy experiences!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. It sounds like you have begun a great adventure. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Congratulations and welcome aboard! Be careful with those truly cold temperatures. Take precautions to protect your lines (and yourselves) from freezing up.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Congratulations on your new life!

Many new and exciting adventures ahead for you.

Dont sweat the small stuff and stay up on maintenance.

Enjoy!
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Congrats! My wife and I are in the process of doing the same thing. Purchased new truck and trailer, she encouraged me to walk away from my career and go on this adventure with her (She is also a travel nurse). Selling everything and being mobile is a bit of a trust fall but so far so good. House is sold and last of our stuff is packed away and all we are doing now is fine tuning our setup.

You two are going to have a blast. Hope we can run into each other in this country eventually!
Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome to the forum. Your adventure should offer info to folks considering a similar choice. Stay warm, keep your plumbing warm, travel safe and thank you for your contribution to helping folks with their health. What you do is important. Maybe folks here can help you with your RV issues in return. Good luck with your plan. Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat
Old 03-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the Airstream community. I know Sioux Falls well after living in NW Iowa and Minnesota for many years. It's a city that has grown very well.

Living in your Airstream during a Sioux Falls winter would be a challenge as you can well imagine. All RVs have water and sewer lines exposed to the cold, and they tend to freeze up. The walls of an Airstream are only 1 1/2" thick and the thing is made of aluminum, which is an excellent conductor of heat and cold.
I hope you can take fair weather assignments.

Your new Airstream will last a very long time. They are well built. And they are very comfortable. I hope you will enjoy yours.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Thanks everyone! Actually my first assignment is in Montana, we came up here in the beginning of February. She did really well until we hit negative temps, then we had issues with 1. The outside dump valves freezing 2. The trap under the shower freezing so the shower wouldn't drain and 3. The power cord to the refrigerator getting frost in it so it was reading EO. So hopefully next winter we will be a little more prepared now that we know the weak spots.

It is beautiful up here now, though and 40 degrees feels like summer!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Congrats! My wife and I are in the process of doing the same thing. Purchased new truck and trailer, she encouraged me to walk away from my career and go on this adventure with her (She is also a travel nurse). Selling everything and being mobile is a bit of a trust fall but so far so good. House is sold and last of our stuff is packed away and all we are doing now is fine tuning our setup.

You two are going to have a blast. Hope we can run into each other in this country eventually!
That's awesome! We have a 5th wheel right across from us which is an older couple where the wife is a traveling nurse. A lot of people still own their homes, though, so it's a little different for us. Where are you establishing residency?

Keep in touch I'd love to hear how things are going for you two, I was extended here so my contract is longer then 13 weeks but I'm aleady anxious (in a good and bad way haha) about where my next job will be and if there will be somewhere nearby to park!