Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Red face New member - considering purchase

I'm a new member looking to buy an airstream. My grandma owns one from a long time ago but she gave it my uncle who lives in Idaho so I never get to see it. I used to play in it when I was a little girl. I have a new family, a husband a 3 1/2 year old and a 4 month old. When we bought our house the owner sold us a 5th wheel trailer and we now want to sell it and buy an airstream so we can take our family on vacations to see the US!!
jaminalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums! How neat that your interest in Airstreams started when you were little and now you're finally getting the chance to have your own! Good luck selling the fifth wheel and you'll find lots of good info here to help you in finding the perfect Airstream for your family.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome to the Shiney Side

Welcome to the group and best of luck pursuing your Airstream.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums! Once we joined (last March I think), it took us 2 weeks to find Little Girl. They are out there, and this is a great time to start searching. More will pop up as Spring approaches.

Good luck!!!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle.

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You have found the right place for all things Airstream.

Brian & SuEllyn
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
we'll help you look

hi we are in winfield ks thats 45mi south of witcha ks.if you find a A/S with in 100 mi of winfield. ill go look at it and take a lot of pixs and send them to you.and ill do a full inspection from the tires and brakes to the ac on top. if that will help you to find a good A/S. let me know if i can help! bill & marsha almond 620-221-1952 williamalmond@yahoo.com PS how big of A/S are you looking for and what YR and how big and how much are you wanting to spend. im on the hunt now.whoohoo!!
bill almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
email this posting to a friend wichita craigslist > for sale / wanted > recreational vehicles
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1963 30' Airstream - $3750 (Moundridge)

Date: 2010-01-29, 11:27AM CST
Reply to: sale-ba3sg-1576397389@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1963 30' Sovereign Airstream for sale. $3750. This camper is in good shape. New water lines 2 years ago, dealer did the work. Has 2 new propane tanks and newer propane heater. Air conditioner works, but shroud is old. Interior is in good shape with most of it being original. Has apartment refridgerator. Looking for a 5th wheel. Paid $5,500 last year. This would make a great unique camper to take to the lake. Please email with questions or for more pictures.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1576397389

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
email this posting to a friend oklahoma city craigslist > for sale / wanted > recreational vehicles
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1979 Airstream Trailer - $6500 (Bethany, OK)

Date: 2010-01-22, 11:49AM CST
Reply to: sale-m2y6e-1565206047@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

This classic 1979 Airstream Sovereign Land Yacht trailer is perfect for taking the whole family camping. In great condition, just needs a little TLC. We bought it from the original owner two years ago, he took exellent care of the trailer.....we have not had the time to use it and need to sell. Beautiful blue striped awnings, in excellent condition top off this classic Airstream. Check out the pictures and if you are a serious buyer please email us your phone number and we will get back with you asap.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1565206047

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
see craigslist stillwater ok i found a 08 classic 30sld 6,000 and a 70 A/S for 3,000
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Welcome to the Forums - good luck in finding the Airstream for your family's future adventures. Glad to have you aboard.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
email this posting to a friend kansas city craigslist > for sale / wanted > recreational vehicles
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

1981 Avion Airstream Travel Trailer - $10000 (Grain Valley, Missouri)

Date: 2010-01-07, 8:46PM CST
Reply to: sale-hqnnb-1542498013@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

37 foot all aluminum Avion travel trailer (looks like an all aluminum Airstream travel trailer) with earth tone interior with heat and air conditioning and television antenna which sleeps 6 comfortably with kitchen with full size refrigerator and freezer, microwave, range and oven, bathroom with bathtub and shower, 3 private sleeping areas, dining area, and living room, 816-229-6500 or 816-836-4500

PostingID: 1542498013

Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
The Avion above is not an Airstream product. Avion was taken over by Fleetwood several years ago and then then ceased production of said unit.

Be careful of what you see on Craiglist.

Bob
Four Corners Unit
WBCCI #10105
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Thanks everybody for all your comments and welcomes and advice! I'm so excited about my airstream, I'm on the hunt!! I live in Southern California so we're looking for one for sale hopefully on the west side of the US. I'm very excited. I'm almost thinking about getting a gutted airstream and doing a complete renovation! Wish me luck everyone and I'll keep you posted with my progress.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Thank you soo much Bill for your offer to help! I'm so excited to get an airstream but now even more excited to join the airstream community, so many nice people. Kansas is a little far for us to purchase an airstream. We live in California so we're hoping to find one closer to home. If you're ever out here on an airstream adventure give us a shout!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
hi all we had a A/S and whent to a avion. and yes i know the deference. when you all get your A/S maybe marsha and i and the grand kids to meet half way at the grand canyon. and all have a a/s rally. they still let us in even with our avion. oops gota go we have a b day party for our granson. see ya.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
hi all! we bought our first a/s off of craigslist.and then sold it there and we now have a avion off of craigslist and we like better. and we all have so much fun at the rallys. im sure your a/s club in CA will be as much fun as ours. sorry i cant help you from this far away. but if we where there we would help.{expiate} wax on wax off.now thats a tough job.so i hope you find a shinny one. and if any of you A/S folks are on your way through this part of KS stop by we have full hook ups and there free! so well see you on the road some time.bill
Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
Exclamation

Hi,Can anyone tell me about How Airstreams are inside in the desert of Arizona, heat wize. I don't know anything about them,and need to put one on a off the grid property. Also how about a heat source and cooling. Would like to go solar. Thank You!! GK.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Airstream in Arizona Heat

Airstreams are fairly well insulated. For example, in the summer, we camp in Flagstaff where it cools down around 55-65 at night. Then, when we drive down to Phoenix where it's often 110+, after a 2.5 hour drive, it is still cool inside when we unpack. Never measured, but it seems like it is still around 75-80 inside, which seems cool compared to 110.

However, with our Airstream parked in 110+ heat during the day and 95-100 at night, it is just darned hot. Our air conditioner has no problems cooling it down, though. However, our Airstream is small. Larger units may have a little more difficulty cooling, due to the relative size versus AC unit capacity.

If you will be off grid, it will take a lot of solar panels to run an AC unit. I suspect that this will be prohibitive, unless money is no object. You might want to consider a standalone evaporative cooler. They don't work as well, but draw considerably less current. When it's not humid outside, they can be relatively comfortable during the day and darned right chilly at night. Of course, you will have to decide whether 85 degrees and 85% humidity is bearable for you, but it's a lot cooler than 110. Also, realistically, the humidity is probably around 40%; 80% is only during monsoon season (late July/August). Also, you may be in a desert area that is not this hot (Arizona is a big state, and the summer temperatures vary a lot with elevation), and a cover will help reduce the heat load on the trailer skin. Most of the state parks have covers for the campground host's trailers, which helps with the AC.

A generator will probably make running your AC unit feasibile, but this may be costly from a fuel standpoint, especially if you will be living in your Airstream full time. Perhaps someone with more AC experience using a generator can give you an idea of fuel consumption.

By the way, desert areas away from the city heat can cool off a lot in the evenings (mid-80's versus 100 in the city). And, if you are full-timing, you may get get used to the heat. I know that up to 105 degrees doesn't seem bad to most of us in Phoenix, but anything above 115 is just dang hot!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #19

1968 22' Safari
Woodland , California
I am new to Airsteaming too. I just found (and bought) a Safari 22 in California. Here is my advice.

Check Craiglsist every day. WATCH OUT FOR FLIPPERS. People who buy them, do some work on the interior, and sell them for a quick profit. And of course avoid Craiglist scams.

Visit this site. A great article on determining the value of used Airsteams.
Airstream Vintage Travel Trailer Link Library! - Restoration Channel. This is the link to the main webpage, you will need to search for the article on determining used Airstream values.

Insist on an inspection by a qualified Airsteam mechanic or service center as a condition of purchase. The seller shoudn't have a problem with it if they are honest.

Know you tow vehicle's capacities. When you see an ad you can go to the airsteam website and find trailer weight ratings for most used Airsteams.

Be pepared to move quickly. I put in over 2,000 miles of driving looking at various Airsteams in California. I looked at 6 of them before I found one worth buying. I corresponded with at least 20 more sellers before determining a trailer wasn't worth the effort to inspect.

Buy one that was used and loved by the owner. If it has been sitting in a backyard or field for 15 years it will need a lot of work to get it up and running.

I saw lots of ads for gutted trailers. Avoid a total restoration unless you are retied or a person of leisure. If you work full time it will be 2+ years before you have a restored trailer on the road. Hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to restore a trailer.

There are lots of used Airsteams out there. Be patient, make sure you are getting good value, and buy one that fits your needs and has the layout you want. Personally, I wanted the front dinnette setup, looked for it and found it. It took me four months to find the one I wanted.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Try the fifth wheel first,if you and family like camping then pay out the big bucks.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote